Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Quebec to impose tax on unvaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

The unvaccinated get sicker and get sicker longer. They overburden the health care system, preventing others with other diseases from getting the care they need. They generate more virus and provide a greater potential for mutations that can do an end run around the treatments we have - as omicron has done.

I think one of the reasons Canada is considering a tax is that they have a national health care system. The government pays for about 70% of canadians health care needs according to Wikipedia. So the government has an interest in recovering the extra cost the unvaccinated induce. It is only fair they recover that cost from those making the choice that is generating it rather than force the entire population to bear it.
    It's a dangerous precedent, charging more to people who are more of a burden (sicker) than others in a system who's purpose is to provide equal and 'free' treatment for all citizens. Once that happens it is no longer free healthcare is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It's a dangerous precedent, charging more to people who are more of a burden (sicker) than others in a system who's purpose is to provide equal and 'free' treatment for all citizens. Once that happens it is no longer free healthcare is it?
      I think you are right there is the potential for a precedent that could be abused. At the same time, those refusing their civic responsibility to others are often fined or otherwise punished depending on the severity of the consequence. Given the larger the percentage of the population that is unvaxxed the more covid deaths there will be, I would say the consequence of that irresponsibility is about as high as it gets. A mitigation is required.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Sorry, Sparko, we already get this now. At my work every year, they talk about how the experience of the current year is affecting next year rates. By experience they mean who used insurance. I think in 2021, we actually had a small drop in our premiums because people didn't use the insurance in 2020.

Of course, the more people that are sick and use insurance, the higher the cost and thus premiums go up. Of course, there is some inflation in there too. My premiums didn't change much this year but that's probably because inflation hadn't really kicked in yet at premium calculation time. Based on what I just wrote, I'm predict a good-sized jump for 2023. After all, got to pay for all those Covid tests that are now covered by insurance.

I think the same applies to Medicare and Medicaid as well. Would apply even if we ever adopted single-payer.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Sorry, Sparko, we already get this now. At my work every year, they talk about how the experience of the current year is affecting next year rates. By experience they mean who used insurance. I think in 2021, we actually had a small drop in our premiums because people didn't use the insurance in 2020.

Of course, the more people that are sick and use insurance, the higher the cost and thus premiums go up. Of course, there is some inflation in there too. My premiums didn't change much this year but that's probably because inflation hadn't really kicked in yet at premium calculation time. Based on what I just wrote, I'm predict a good-sized jump for 2023. After all, got to pay for all those Covid tests that are now covered by insurance.

I think the same applies to Medicare and Medicaid as well. Would apply even if we ever adopted single-payer.
          Yeah but that is insurance, not universal healthcare and the cost is spread among everyone in the case of medicare, not a tax on the sickest because they are putting a burden on the system. As I said, the way most insurance hide it is to give a "discount" for non-smokers, etc. That way it doesn't look like they are charging smokers more, just giving a discount to those who don't, wink wink.

Comment

Quebec has backed down. Good!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ixed-1.6334828

Quebec Premier François Legault says his government will not go ahead with a proposed tax on the unvaccinated, in order to protect "social cohesion" in the province.

Legault made the announcement at a news conference Tuesday, where he also eased restrictions on gyms and sports activities.

The tax, first announced in January by the premier, would have imposed a monetary penalty on Quebecers who are eligible but who refuse to get their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Legault says while his government has a bill ready to go, he's decided not to table it after seeing "growing discontent" in the population.

"I understand that this divides Quebecers and right now we need to build bridges," said Legault. "My role is to try to bring Quebecers together to stay united as a people".

Still, Legault denied that he was backing down due to demands by organizers of a protest planned for Thursday in Quebec City. He said he had already begun to have discussions "last week" about scrapping the tax.

Interim public health director Dr. Luc Boileau confirmed during the news conference that he had not been asked whether he approved of the tax.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

They say a broken watch is still right twice a day.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                They say a broken watch is still right twice a day.
                Unless it's a 24 hour timepiece, and then it's only once.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment