Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Quebec to impose tax on unvaccinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quebec to impose tax on unvaccinated

https://news.yahoo.com/quebec-impose...203108653.html

Quebec plans to tax people who have remained unvaccinated from COVID-19 for non-medical reasons, Premier François Legault announced at a press briefing Tuesday.

Why it matters: The measure would make Quebec the first province in Canada to impose a financial penalty on the unvaccinated, per The Globe and Mail, and comes as hospitalizations due to the virus have surged.

The big picture: “All people who are not vaccinated for non-medical reasons will have to pay a contribution,” Legault said.
    • Legault did not specify how large the health "contribution" would be but promised that it would be "significant."

The bottom line: Legault said the 10% of the adult population that refuses to get vaccinated makes up about half of the patients hospitalized in intensive care units. The premier said unvaccinated people should therefore pay for the burden they place on the health care system.
    • “I think right now it’s a question of fairness for the 90% of the population who made some sacrifices,” he said. “I think we owe them this kind of measure.”

Blackmail, pure and simple.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

A lot of people in power have openly said the plan is to make the unvaccinated as miserable as possible until they throw their hands up in frustration and say, "Fine! To hell with it! I'll get the vaccine!"
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Quebec plans to tax people who have remained unvaccinated from COVID-19 for non-medical reasons, Premier François Legault announced at a press briefing Tuesday.

Why it matters: The measure would make Quebec the first province in Canada to impose a financial penalty on the unvaccinated, per The Globe and Mail, and comes as hospitalizations due to the virus have surged.

The big picture: “All people who are not vaccinated for non-medical reasons will have to pay a contribution,” Legault said.
      • Legault did not specify how large the health "contribution" would be but promised that it would be "significant."

The bottom line: Legault said the 10% of the adult population that refuses to get vaccinated makes up about half of the patients hospitalized in intensive care units. The premier said unvaccinated people should therefore pay for the burden they place on the health care system.
      • “I think right now it’s a question of fairness for the 90% of the population who made some sacrifices,” he said. “I think we owe them this kind of measure.”

Do you believe this may be a byproduct of universal healthcare?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        A lot of people in power have openly said the plan is to make the unvaccinated as miserable as possible until they throw their hands up in frustration and say, "Fine! To hell with it! I'll get the vaccine!"
        It's disgusting that so many people are giving in to this sort of crap.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Just imagine the reaction if this was a tax on people who have an overweight or higher BMI, to make them pay for the increased burden that they place on the healthcare system. Just imagine the screeching of the liberals over something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            That relentless push all across the globe in multiple countries and multiple cultures and multiple languages really is inexplicable as any sort of natural explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Unlikely. Some US states gave fines if you didn't get the smallpox vaccine and there was no universal healthcare back then. Not so sure about other countries, but I seem to remember reading about required smallpox vaccinations in the 19th/early 20th centuries in other countries, which again was when there was no universal healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I don't know. Universal health care here is such a mess to begin with that nothing will help it. That is obviously the excuse given, the "strain on the system", but I suspect a tax on the unvaxxed may very well eventually on the table in the US, too.

Our premier has stated in response to Quebec that there will not be a tax on the unvaccinated here. But he also said last September that there would be no proof of vaccine, but 3 weeks later he proclaimed there must be a vaccine passport to take part in certain public events.

So I don't hold him to his word on this, either.

Comment

I don't know. Universal health care here is such a mess to begin with that nothing will help it. That is obviously the excuse given, the "strain on the system", but I suspect a tax on the unvaxxed may very well eventually on the table in the US, too.

Our premier has stated in response to Quebec that there will not be a tax on the unvaccinated here. But he also said last September that there would be no proof of vaccine, but 3 weeks later he proclaimed there must be a vaccine passport to take part in certain public events.

So I don't hold him to his word on this, either.
                  As soon as I read your OP, I wondered how long until someone in the US proposes it. I predict it will proposed at the state level first and then someone like AOC will introduce a bill to add it to the Federal Income tax.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

As soon as I read your OP, I wondered how long until someone in the US proposes it. I predict it will proposed at the state level first and then someone like AOC will introduce a bill to add it to the Federal Income tax.
                    If anyone did it in the US it would probably be the Insurance companies. They are footing the bill and I think they already give "discounts" to nonsmokers for similar reasons, which translates to "charging more for smokers" - so they would probably do something similar with COVID, give a "discount" for people who get the shots.

Comment

As the article it would be the first place in Canuckistan. FWIU, other places have imposed it.

Still, I have to wonder if this will usher in a whole new class of taxes on behaviors that the government disapproves of.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        As the article it would be the first place in Canuckistan. FWIU, other places have imposed it.

Still, I have to wonder if this will usher in a whole new class of taxes on behaviors that the government disapproves of.

I read another article that said it would be the first in North America.

Comment

Harsh, maybe, but not blackmail. There's no threat to divulge information..
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

That relentless push all across the globe in multiple countries and multiple cultures and multiple languages really is inexplicable as any sort of natural explanation.
                            Yeah. Inexplicable. Especially when (at least in my area), it hasn't even looked like pandemic. I mean this has got to be the most non-pandemic looking pandemic I have ever heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              Harsh, maybe, but not blackmail. There's no threat to divulge information..
                              Yet.

You're nitpicking and playing semantics. Would you like it better if I had used the word "coercion"?

Comment