Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sotomayor and Covid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

The reality is they do work MM, as can be seen in the change in raw rate of spread stats each time mask mandates are instituted, and each time they are removed.

And those changes are seen with only partial compliance and a mix of mask types.
    Correlation does imply causation, you dolt.. There are many other factors that contributed to reduced spread during those periods, and based on years of scientific research, it's a given that masks had possibly the least significant impact.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Correlation does imply causation, you dolt.. There are many other factors that contributed to reduced spread during those periods, and based on years of scientific research, it's a given that masks had possibly the least significant impact.
      I see. Spread goes down with mask mandates, but mask don't work, so it can't be the masks people are wearing.

All those poor doctors and nurses wearing masks in operating rooms, or in rooms with infectious deadly diseases. I guess its all an illusion and it doesn't really work? The ones in the rooms with patients with TB etc, they really got sick and died and what we see now are just government generated clones designed to trick us?

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I see. Spread goes down with mask mandates, but mask don't work, so it can't be the masks people are wearing.

All those poor doctors and nurses wearing masks in operating rooms, or in rooms with infectious deadly diseases. I guess its all an illusion and it doesn't really work? The ones in the rooms with patients with TB etc, they really got sick and died and what we see now are just government generated clones designed to trick us?

Again, you dolt, correlation does not imply causation. If the only thing done was making people wear masks then you would have a stronger argument, but mask mandates were also accompanied with other mitigation strategies like strict social distancing rules, closure of restaurants and other facilities, placing limits on how many people could be in a grocery store, employers encouraging or even requiring their employees to work from home, and so on. There were multiple factors that came into play, and based on years of study showing the ineffectiveness of masks at stopping the spread of viruses, masks were very probably the least significant factor.

Quoting this again since you completely ignored it the first time around - it's what one research group had to say after looking at a wide variety of pre-China flu pandemic studies (in other words, studies that were done without the need to "prove" that masks can protect us from the China flu):

There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low‐moderate certainty of the evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect. The pooled results of randomised trials did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks during seasonal influenza. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr...6207.pub5/full

The reason doctors wear masks in operating rooms is to protect the patient's innards from the staff's saliva and not to stop viruses. You do not want a sick surgeon operating on you, no matter what kind of mask he's wearing. And people dealing with infectious diseases, for example in a laboratory, wear full hazmat suits with an enclosed air supply. They don't just slap a mask on and go to work.

Come on, ox, I thought you had great faith in science. Or is that only when it's telling you what you want to hear?
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-25-2022, 09:23 PM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment