Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sotomayor and Covid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01FS9HDXBDCS7SZKFKKK5KH6A3.jpeg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

SCOTUS just shot down the federal mandate for large companies of 100 or more employees but upheld Health and Human Resources being able to mandate health care workers be vaccinated.

Comment

If only they would strike down the federal workers mandate...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          If only they would strike down the federal workers mandate...
          It was still a big win!
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            SCOTUS just shot down the federal mandate for large companies of 100 or more employees but upheld Health and Human Resources being able to mandate health care workers be vaccinated.
            That kinda sorta makes sense.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That kinda sorta makes sense.
              It's essentially the only segment where it could make sense

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It's essentially the only segment where it could make sense
                Why? It doesn't stop contagion.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I guess it sorta "makes sense" in that (as I understand it) it applies to places that accept Federal money. If the Feds give money, they get to impose some conditions on the entities receiving that money.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                    I guess it sorta "makes sense" in that (as I understand it) it applies to places that accept Federal money. If the Feds give money, they get to impose some conditions on the entities receiving that money.
                    Right. The court wasn't deciding whether what the feds want to do is a good idea, but rather, whether they are allowed to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

You are incorrect

Good masks do in fact have a impact on viral spread, with n95 masks having the most significant impact. Single layer cloth 'bandana' masks, a favorite of those resisting mask wearing, wrt the ba.1 and ba 2 variants, are almost useless.

With the wide availability of n95 level masks, it is almost criminal to allow the useless sort as a substitute for something that actually has an impact on transmission.

Fortunately for me, when/if there is another surge, the effectiveness of my n95 mask doesn't depend on how many around me have been led down the same path of misinformation you have.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

You are incorrect

Good masks do in fact have a impact on viral spread, with n95 masks having the most significant impact. Single layer cloth 'bandana' masks, a favorite of those resisting mask wearing, wrt the ba.1 and ba 2 variants, are almost useless.

With the wide availability of n95 level masks, it is almost criminal to allow the useless sort as a substitute for something that actually has an impact on transmission.

Fortunately for me, when/if there is another surge, the effectiveness of my n95 mask doesn't depend on how many around me have been led down the same path of misinformation you have.
                        You can stifle yourself if you want, just as long as you realize that even in a best case scenario, an N95 mask can't actually protect you from viruses which are smaller than the weave of the mask. Tests show that while they can, in theory, filter out up to 90% of air particles, the 10% that gets through, if it's loaded with a virus, is still sufficient to infect you. And that's a best case scenario. In reality, few people are able to achieve a perfect seal around their face because the mask has to be worn almost painfully tight against skin with zero facial hair, and when worn in such a fashion should be limited to no more than 20-minutes due to the fact that it can severely restrict your oxygen intake.

So, yeah, good luck with that.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You can stifle yourself if you want, just as long as you realize that even in a best case scenario, an N95 mask can't actually protect you from viruses which are smaller than the weave of the mask. Tests show that while they can, in theory, filter out up to 90% of air particles, the 10% that gets through, if it's loaded with a virus, is still sufficient to infect you. And that's a best case scenario. In reality, few people are able to achieve a perfect seal around their face because the mask has to be worn almost painfully tight against skin with zero facial hair, and when worn in such a fashion should be limited to no more than 20-minutes due to the fact that it can severely restrict your oxygen intake.

As we've discussed before but you don't seem to comprehend, the n95 stops virus particles not by having teeny, tiny holes smaller than the virus itself, but because of electrostatic charge which over the short distance of the holes that exist and the type of material used cause the virus particles to be pinned against the filter as they move into the mask material. On small scales, self induced electrostatics is a powerful force. But it is also why these masks lose effectiveness if they get moist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...-face-mask/amp
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You other issues are excuses, not reasons, except perhaps for someone with breathing problems.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

As we've discussed before but you don't seem to comprehend, the n95 stops virus particles not by having teeny, tiny holes smaller than the virus itself, but because of electrostatic charge which over the short distance of the holes that exist and the type of material used cause the virus particles to be pinned against the filter as they move into the mask material. On small scales, self induced electrostatics is a powerful force. But it is also why these masks lose effectiveness if they get moist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wir...-face-mask/amp
                              Oh, I don't have any hope of convincing a loyal COVID Cultist like you, but it's not going to stop me from telling the truth about masks and the China flu vaccines. The fact is, it was "settled science" for many, many years that medical grade masks don't protect the wearer from viruses for the reasons I have explained. You need a closed system for that. Even taking the electrostatic effect into account (do you think researchers somehow forgot about this when doing their studies?), we're talking 90% filtration in a best case scenario. And when I say "best case scenario", I mean laboratory conditions in a sterile environment. In the real world, the results are considerably less dramatic.

Here's what one research group had to say after looking at a wide variety of pre-China flu pandemic studies (in other words, studies that were done without the need to "prove" that masks can protect us from the China flu):

There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low‐moderate certainty of the evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect. The pooled results of randomised trials did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks during seasonal influenza. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr...6207.pub5/full
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Oh, I don't have any hope of convincing a loyal COVID Cultist like you, but it's not going to stop me from telling the truth about masks and the China flu vaccines. The fact is, it was "settled science" for many, many years that medical grade masks don't protect the wearer from viruses for the reasons I have explained. You need a closed system for that. Even taking the electrostatic effect into account (do you think researchers somehow forgot about this when doing their studies?), we're talking 90% filtration in a best case scenario. And when I say "best case scenario", I mean laboratory conditions in a sterile environment. In the real world, the results are considerably less dramatic.

Here's what one research group had to say after looking at a wide variety of pre-China flu pandemic studies (in other words, studies that were done without the need to "prove" that masks can protect us from the China flu):

There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low‐moderate certainty of the evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect. The pooled results of randomised trials did not show a clear reduction in respiratory viral infection with the use of medical/surgical masks during seasonal influenza. There were no clear differences between the use of medical/surgical masks compared with N95/P2 respirators in healthcare workers when used in routine care to reduce respiratory viral infection.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr...6207.pub5/full
                                The reality is they do work MM, as can be seen in the change in raw rate of spread stats each time mask mandates are instituted, and each time they are removed.

And those changes are seen with only partial compliance and a mix of mask types.

Comment