Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Harris says the "M" word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Here's what you do, Dave...
    You make WILD assumptions
    You paint with a REALLY broad brush
    Then you utter forth judgment and condemnation.

If that's not a Pharisee, what is?
    I recently reached the same conclusion about him. I think it's time for me to stop interacting with him.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Moderated By: Bill the Cat

Derail moved to Biblical Ethics

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

celebrate.gif
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Moderated By: Bill the Cat

Derail moved to Biblical Ethics

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    This topic changes very abruptly (in the first few posts) from a simple post about Jimmy Carter to an argument about God and free will. I know there's been derails in plenty of threads, but it's so abrupt and no one makes any statement about it (at least in the first few pages) as is normal when a shift occurs that abruptly and that early. Is there some kind of context to this topic I'm missing?
    Dave L has done this to several threads. This one started back on track and he derailed it again.

I've asked for this second derail to be split. smiley waiting-impatient.gif

Leave a comment:

• Terraceth
    replied
    This topic changes very abruptly (in the first few posts) from a simple post about Jimmy Carter to an argument about God and free will. I know there's been derails in plenty of threads, but it's so abrupt and no one makes any statement about it (at least in the first few pages) as is normal when a shift occurs that abruptly and that early. Is there some kind of context to this topic I'm missing?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave L View Post

He is wrong. But anyone who promotes divorce and remarriage is guilty of a sin of equal weight. (hint: most churches do).
    He is more than wrong. He was putting words into Jesus's mouth, claiming Jesus would support gay marriage. That is tantamount to adding to scripture and lying about God.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

He is no worse than churches that promote adultery.
    So does that mean you condemn his support of gay marriage? You already admitted condemning others in this thread for promoting adultery. Without a lick of evidence by the way. How do you know their church promotes adultery? Mine for example says that Christians should not divorce except in cases of sexual infidelity or physical abuse. Are they promoting adultery?
    Last edited by Sparko; 01-12-2022, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    ETA: I see you finally said "he was wrong" followed immediately by "but"
    Also, "He is wrong" is pretty light judgment because it makes it sound like he is merely mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

He is wrong. But anyone who promotes divorce and remarriage is guilty of a sin of equal weight. (hint: most churches do).
    Oh, so now it's only "most churches".

I also find your claim about sins of "equal weight" rather specious, because by that standard, nobody who attends one of the churches you look down your nose at would be unable to condemn murder, which is of "equal weight" to homosexuality and adultery if we go by the penalty. And I wonder, what sins do you condemn in others despite being guilty of an equally weighted sin in your own life? Does this, then, make you doubly hypocritically? I think you just strangled yourself with your own ephod.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 01-12-2022, 11:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    He is no worse than churches that promote adultery.
    You demand that others condemn churches that support divorce and yet refuse to simply say that Carter is wrong to claim that Jesus supports gay marriage. Or is it that you agree with Jimmy?

ETA: I see you finally said "he was wrong" followed immediately by "but"

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So you openly condemn the "church" for implicitly supporting adultery but refuse to openly condemn your idol Jimmy Carter despite him explicitly supporting homosexuality, which is a sin of equal weight according to the Old Testament.

That is indeed hypocritical.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

We all do, if we are honest.
    Unless we blame God because we have no free will.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Interesting. And we know that even Paul struggled with sin.
    We all do, if we are honest.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

Here we have an adulterous church (Those who divorce and remarry based on Mathew 19:9) condemning homosexuality. A sin of equal weight in the OT. = Hypocrisy
    So you openly condemn the "church" for implicitly supporting adultery but refuse to openly condemn your idol Jimmy Carter despite him explicitly supporting homosexuality, which is a sin of equal weight according to the Old Testament.

That is indeed hypocritical.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

And as my pastor once said, "If you continue to struggle with sin, thank God, because it means the sin hasn't beaten you!"
    Interesting. And we know that even Paul struggled with sin.

Leave a comment: