Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Harris says the "M" word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harris says the "M" word

Many historians point to Jimmy Carter's notorious "malaise" speech as the beginning of the end of his less than successful presidency. While it was fairly well received at the time[1] it set the tone for the remainder of his term and helped to usher in Ronald Reagan in a landslide.

Now it looks like the Vice Cackler, Kamala Harris, has pulled that speech out of the rubbish heap and delivered her own malaise speech.

During her speech where she insisted that the January 6 Capitol riot was comparable to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor (no, really. you just have to squint real hard to see it), she decided to echo the former president and cite "malaise" as the primary drag on the United States.

There has been great progress. No doubt, COVID, for example, I mean, we’re all -- well, everybody is frustrated with that. And I understand and I fully appreciate there is a level of malaise. We’re two years into this thing. People are -- we want to get back to normal. We all do. But we have to then do the tough and hard work of pushing through with solutions, understanding that there are going to be challenges, but let’s meet the challenges where they are. And let’s also take a moment to see the progress we have achieved

The times are similar. We are experience a Carter-like energy crisis (which like Carter, are exacerbated by old Joe's policies), rising inflation (also made worse by the actions of both Carter and old Joe), and a sour national mood. Carter badly bungled the rescue of the hostages in Iran causing old Joe to say "hold my ice cream cone" and give us the worst, most humiliating disaster since WWII in his series of cluster FUBARs that was the Afghanistan bug out.

More and more it looks like history is repeating itself (the Democrats are talking about price controls again), but is there a Republican in the wings that can pick up the pieces and actually, to borrow a phrase, build back better like Reagan did?

1. As the Boston Globe explained: "Carter’s popularity grew briefly after his remarks, his poll numbers swiftly sank back to low levels that reflected the real malaise in his administration."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

I always thought Carter was the best President America ever had, especially today. I heard there were many dirty tricks played against him leading to his one-term only status.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
      I always thought Carter was the best President America ever had, especially today. I heard there were many dirty tricks played against him leading to his one-term only status.
      I didn't know god played dirty tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I didn't know god played dirty tricks.
        He didn't. America is under judgment. Look at what happened since Carter, and especially under Bush.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Many historians point to Jimmy Carter's notorious "malaise" speech as the beginning of the end of his less than successful presidency. While it was fairly well received at the time[1] it set the tone for the remainder of his term and helped to usher in Ronald Reagan in a landslide.

Now it looks like the Vice Cackler, Kamala Harris, has pulled that speech out of the rubbish heap and delivered her own malaise speech.

During her speech where she insisted that the January 6 Capitol riot was comparable to 9/11 and Pearl Harbor (no, really. you just have to squint real hard to see it), she decided to echo the former president and cite "malaise" as the primary drag on the United States.

There has been great progress. No doubt, COVID, for example, I mean, we’re all -- well, everybody is frustrated with that. And I understand and I fully appreciate there is a level of malaise. We’re two years into this thing. People are -- we want to get back to normal. We all do. But we have to then do the tough and hard work of pushing through with solutions, understanding that there are going to be challenges, but let’s meet the challenges where they are. And let’s also take a moment to see the progress we have achieved

The times are similar. We are experience a Carter-like energy crisis (which like Carter, are exacerbated by old Joe's policies), rising inflation (also made worse by the actions of both Carter and old Joe), and a sour national mood. Carter badly bungled the rescue of the hostages in Iran causing old Joe to say "hold my ice cream cone" and give us the worst, most humiliating disaster since WWII in his series of cluster FUBARs that was the Afghanistan bug out.

More and more it looks like history is repeating itself (the Democrats are talking about price controls again), but is there a Republican in the wings that can pick up the pieces and actually, to borrow a phrase, build back better like Reagan did?

1. As the Boston Globe explained: "Carter’s popularity grew briefly after his remarks, his poll numbers swiftly sank back to low levels that reflected the real malaise in his administration."
          We're definitely having "stagflation" issues. Lots of similarities...but, the failed rescue attempt can't e laid at Carters feet. Engine trouble and crashing isn't his fault...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

How is that possible? Your God gave him one term and determined what he did and what everyone else did. Couldn't be any dirty tricks because it was all forced by your fod.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

How is that possible? Your God gave him one term and determined what he did and what everyone else did. Couldn't be any dirty tricks because it was all forced by your fod.
              As I see it, Carter was a righteous standard God used to confirm the wickedness of the American people, when they voted him out. Things got bad ever since then leading to where we are now.

Comment

He didn't. America is under judgment. Look at what happened since Carter, and especially under Bush.
                If dirty tricks were played on him, God made people do that, since they have no free will.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

If dirty tricks were played on him, God made people do that, since they have no free will.
                  This is true. But God used Carter to confirm their wickedness. And judgment followed.

Comment

As I see it, Carter was a righteous standard God used to confirm the wickedness of the American people, when they voted him out. Things got bad ever since then leading to where we are now.
                    Confirm what wickedness? Your deity controls their beliefs and actions.

Who voted him out? It sure wasnt the American people because your god determined their votes and decided to vote him out.

Things got bad? That was your deity making things get bad.

Comment

This is true. But God used Carter to confirm their wickedness. And judgment followed.
                      But it's not their wickedness. There's nothing to confirm. They have no free will thus the wickedness was placed there by your deity. Why would he need to confirm it? Bis he dumb as a doorknob as well as a vile loathsome deity, and doesn't remember what he did?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Confirm what wickedness? Your deity controls their beliefs and actions.

Who voted him out? It sure wasnt the American people because your god determined their votes and decided to vote him out.

Things got bad? That was your deity making things get bad.
                        All are born wicked and go to hell. Except for the few He redeemed in Christ. Carter is one of these. He confirmed God's judgment on all who voted him out. He was too clean for them and for many in so-called Christian Churches and forums.

Comment

Living in Georgia when Jimmy was Governor I can tell you that he could play hardball with the best of them. He and his Lt. Governor loathed each other, and one day the Lt. Gov. got a message from Jimmy about wanting a private talk in a hotel in Atlanta. Smelling something fishy he sent his head of security in first. In the room was a hooker and a photographer for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.[1] Carter was nowhere to be found.

I was told this by the former Lt. Governor himself not long before he passed.

1. I should note that both were waiting in the bathroom
                          Last edited by rogue06; 01-08-2022, 07:58 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

All are born wicked and go to hell.
                            yes? Your deity is quite vile.

Except for the few He redeemed in Christ. Carter is one of these. He confirmed God's judgment on all who voted him out. He was too clean for them and for many in so-called Christian Churches and forums.
                            Again, your deity is quite vile. But thay doesn't address me point. You keep making statements attacking people for things they did, while simultaneously telling us your deity chooses how people act and choices they make and that they uave no free will. You really haven't thought this through at all let alone applied it to your own logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

We're definitely having "stagflation" issues. Lots of similarities...but, the failed rescue attempt can't e laid at Carters feet. Engine trouble and crashing isn't his fault...
                              IIRC, it was his insistence on secrecy that prevented the helicopters from being checked out before the operation.

Comment