Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Democrats Flock to the Exits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Democrats Flock to the Exits

House Democrats Flock to the Exits Leading into Election Year — Potentially More on the Way

nancy.jpg

Heading into the midterm election year — typically seen as a referendum on the president’s political party — House Democrats are flocking towards the exits instead of protecting their wafer-thin majority with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA).

With the midterms less than a year away, 23 House Democrats have already announced they will not be running for reelection to retire from the public eye for wanting to be with family, focus on health, or say it is time to move on, while some Democrats are also looking to run for a different office, such as the U.S. Senate.

However, those reasons do not include redistricting, which has potentially influenced members’ decisions, such as Rep. Stephanie Murphy (D-FL). Murphy said she is not running for reelection but claimed reasons other than redistricting even though her seat would essentially be torn in two and absorbed by other districts if the current proposed map passed the state’s legislature. All of this came after she was snubbed out of running for the Senate by Florida congressional colleague Rep. Val Demings (D-FL).

The 15 Democrats that have announced they are retiring from public office after the current term, which expires in January 2023:
    • Reps. Filemon Vela (D-TX) and Ann Kirkpatrick (D-AZ) announced their retirements in March.
    • Former Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) Chairwoman Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-IL) announced she would not seek reelection in April.
    • Scandal-ridden Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI) announced he would retire after his current term in August.
    • House Budget Committee Chairman Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY), along with longtime Reps. David Price (D-NC) and Mike Doyle (D-PA) announced that they would not be seeking reelection in October.
    • Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA), longtime Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-NC), and House Science, Space, and Technology Committee Chairwoman Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX), they would not seek reelection in November.
    • House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), along with Rep. Alan Lowenthal (D-CA), Rep. Albio Sires (D-NJ), Rep. Murphy, and Chairwoman of the House Appropriations subcommittee overseeing immigration issues, Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), all announced they would not seek reelection after their current term in December.

Additionally, eight Democrats have announced they are running for a different office:
    • Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) announced in April he would be running for the U.S. Senate seat in his home state being vacated by retiring Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH).
    • Rep. Charlie Crist (D-FL) announced in May said he is running for governor of Florida after previously being governor in the state as a Republican from 2007 to 2011.
    • Rep. Demings announced in June she would run for a U.S. Senate seat in the Sunshine State against incumbent Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL).
    • Rep. Conor Lamb (D-PA) announced in August he would be running for the U.S. Senate seat in his home state being vacated by retiring Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA).
    • Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA) announced in September her candidacy for the Los Angeles mayoral race to replace outgoing Mayor Eric Garcetti (D).
    • Rep. Anthony Brown (D-MD) announced in October he would run for Maryland Attorney General.
    • Rep. Peter Welch (D-VT) announced in November he would be running for the U.S. Senate seat in his home state being vacated by retiring Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT).
    • Rep. Tom Suozzi (D-NY) announced in November he would join the crowded race for New York governor.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Why can't we get the real problem Democrats to retire, like AOC and her crew? As well as Schumer, and Schiff and Nadler?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Why can't we get the real problem Democrats to retire, like AOC and her crew? As well as Schumer, and Schiff and Nadler?
      Perhaps these loons are the reason the others are retiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        They are probably the reasons the others are retiring.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Perhaps these loons are the reason the others are retiring.
          Yeah, maybe that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, maybe that!
            Beat ya!

Comment

My rep, Abigail Spanberger lost her district to Northern Virginia.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                My rep, Abigail Spanberger lost her district to Northern Virginia.
                Is that a biggie? Like a major unexpected? Or, you mean redistricting?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Is that a biggie? Like a major unexpected? Or, you mean redistricting?
                  Redistricting.

https://www.wric.com/news/politics/c...atives-change/
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Likely to get

...someone better?
                    ...same as it ever was?
                    ...someone worse?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Likely to get

...someone better?
                      ...same as it ever was?
                      ...someone worse?
                      My neighborhood will now be in a R led district
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

My neighborhood will now be in a R led district
                        I bet that makes you happier than a fly on poop!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Likely to get

...someone better?
                          ...same as it ever was?
                          ...someone worse?
                          A politician
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Democrats hit 30-year high for House retirements: Rep. Kathleen Rice’s (D-N.Y.) announcement this week that she won’t run again made her the 30th House Democrat to call it quits. That’s the most for the party since 1992, when 41 House Democrats decided to retire even as voters were sending their presidential nominee, Bill Clinton, to the White House.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment