Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

High-Ranking DC Cops, incl. Chief, Helped Criminal Officers Keep Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Ranking DC Cops, incl. Chief, Helped Criminal Officers Keep Jobs

a sort of spiritual successor to my thread on what happens to good cops when they expose the bad. I'll repeat what I said there - the 'few bad apples' argument is a load of hogwash. The problems in police forces are pervasive and widespread, up to the highest levels. 'Good cops' who cover for their even worse brethren are bad cops, and sadly there are very few actual good ones (and they don't last long when they are).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/report-hi...191245268.html

Report: High-ranking D.C. cops, including current chief, helped criminal officers keep their jobs

A group of high ranking Washington, D.C., police officers, including the current chief, shielded 21 officers from termination for criminal misconduct, according to an investigation conducted by Reveal and WAMU/DCist.

Reveal's report is based on internal documents obtained from a ransomware attack that, according to The Associated Press, targeted D.C.'s Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) in April.

Per those documents, between 2009 and 2019, the MPD's Disciplinary Review Division sought termination for at least 24 officers accused of criminal misconduct. In all but three of those cases, an Adverse Action Panel made up of three high-ranking officers made sure the accused kept their jobs. One member of that panel, Robert J. Contee, has served as chief of the MPD since the beginning of 2021.

Reveal's report claims that the documents describe how Officer Ronald Faunteroy, a 20-year veteran of the force according to OpenPayrolls.com, solicited sex from a pair of D.C. prostitutes, threatened them with his department-issue Glock, and then lied about it to the internal affairs agent who questioned him. Eventually, the documents say, Faunteroy admitted to all of the allegations, but instead of being fired, he was merely demoted. The Adverse Action Panel had saved his job. He has since been promoted back to his original position.

The report also claims that, of seven police officers slated for termination due to domestic abuse, the panel kept six of them from being fired.

According to Reveal, neither Contee nor the MPD responded to requests for comment.

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    a sort of spiritual successor to my thread on what happens to good cops when they expose the bad.
    Which thread was that?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      Which thread was that?
      Here ya go: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...whistleblowers

Comment

I wish I could say I was surprised.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm suspicious of the source. Documents revealed as part of a ransomware attack? Has any of this been confirmed by something more credible?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            I'm suspicious of the source. Documents revealed as part of a ransomware attack? Has any of this been confirmed by something more credible?
            I highly doubt that these detailed official documents were invented (to what end?), especially as the police agency admitted their info was stolen. A bunch of info got stolen:
            https://apnews.com/article/police-te...ef610d0b57edb9

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I highly doubt that these detailed official documents were invented (to what end?), especially as the police agency admitted their info was stolen. A bunch of info got stolen:
              https://apnews.com/article/police-te...ef610d0b57edb9
              "To what end" would be to smear a high profile police department. And while the department confirmed documents were stolen, it doesn't prove they were necessarily these documents.

I'm not saying this isn't legit, but there is room for some reasonable doubt.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"To what end" would be to smear a high profile police department. And while the department confirmed documents were stolen, it doesn't prove they were necessarily these documents.

I'm not saying this isn't legit, but there is room for some reasonable doubt.
                IAh yes, they masterfully faked actual law enforcement documents from not only the police force but from other law enforcement agencies, documents of all sorts, and on all kinds of topics, all in a diabolical scheme to 'smear' a police department that anyone who has lived in DC already knows is corrupt as hell.

https://revealnews.org/article/dc-po...cpolicefirings

Details from misconduct investigations like these have typically remained hidden from the public, with police departments citing personal privacy laws. In April, a ransomware attack on D.C. police by a group called Babuk resulted in the hacking of 250 gigabytes of police data. Reveal gained access to the entire data trove through DDoSecrets, a transparency nonprofit made up of journalists and technologists unaffiliated with the hack. Reveal found the misconduct investigations and disciplinary decisions buried in tens of thousands of records that included a controversial gang database, intelligence briefs on right-wing activists and emails describing the conduct of a specialized police unit trying to suppress robberies.

The ransomware hack contained thousands of scanned documents that were not readily searchable. Reveal converted those documents to text and searched for files that referenced officers potentially engaged in a “criminal or quasi-criminal offense,” language taken from MPD’s General Orders. We identified 75 cases in which the department investigated a current officer for criminal misconduct.
                Last edited by Gondwanaland; 12-20-2021, 11:25 PM.

Comment