Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Victory: Nick Sandmann Reaches $275 Million Settlement With NBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory: Nick Sandmann Reaches $275 Million Settlement With NBC

Victory: Nick Sandmann Reaches Confidential Settlement With NBC in $275 Million Defamation Lawsuit

Good on him!

sandmann.jpg

Covington Catholic graduate Nicholas Sandmann says he reached a settlement with another member of the news media, this time with NBC Universal.

Sandmann, a 19-year-old from Kentucky, announced on social media he had reached the settlement. The settlement with NBC marks his third settlement with a news outlet following CNN and the Washington Post.

"At this time I would like to release that NBC and I have reached a settlement," Sandmann wrote Friday. "The terms are confidential."

Documents filed Friday in a Kentucky federal court showed both sides agreed to dismiss the case without a judgment from the court, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

Sandmann became the center of attention after a viral confrontation between him and a Native American man named Nathan Phillips at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., after attending events associated with the March for Life with classmates from Covington Catholic.

Sandmann, wearing a "MAGA" hat, smiled at Phillips, an attendee of the Indigenous Peoples March who sang and played a drum in front of the teenager.

Video of the encounter led to a media firestorm, and the ensuing litigation highlighted the reporting as incorrectly portraying the teenager as the face of an unruly and racist mob.

The defamation lawsuit Sandmann filed against NBC Universal, which sought $275 million, said NBC "unleashed its vast corporate wealth, influence, and power against Nicholas to falsely attack him despite the fact that at the time, he was a 16-year-old high school student."

In mid-November, Sandmann said he believed recently acquitted teenager Kyle Rittenhouse should sue the media after he faced accusations of racism similar to what he had faced. Sandmann added that doing so is "really a personal call that’s up to him."

NBC has not responded to the Washington Examiner's request for comment.

Attached Files
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Victory: Nick Sandmann Reaches Confidential Settlement With NBC in $275 Million Defamation Lawsuit

Good on him!

sandmann.jpg

Covington Catholic graduate Nicholas Sandmann says he reached a settlement with another member of the news media, this time with NBC Universal.

Sandmann, a 19-year-old from Kentucky, announced on social media he had reached the settlement. The settlement with NBC marks his third settlement with a news outlet following CNN and the Washington Post.

"At this time I would like to release that NBC and I have reached a settlement," Sandmann wrote Friday. "The terms are confidential."

Documents filed Friday in a Kentucky federal court showed both sides agreed to dismiss the case without a judgment from the court, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

Sandmann became the center of attention after a viral confrontation between him and a Native American man named Nathan Phillips at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., after attending events associated with the March for Life with classmates from Covington Catholic.

Sandmann, wearing a "MAGA" hat, smiled at Phillips, an attendee of the Indigenous Peoples March who sang and played a drum in front of the teenager.

Video of the encounter led to a media firestorm, and the ensuing litigation highlighted the reporting as incorrectly portraying the teenager as the face of an unruly and racist mob.

The defamation lawsuit Sandmann filed against NBC Universal, which sought $275 million, said NBC "unleashed its vast corporate wealth, influence, and power against Nicholas to falsely attack him despite the fact that at the time, he was a 16-year-old high school student."

In mid-November, Sandmann said he believed recently acquitted teenager Kyle Rittenhouse should sue the media after he faced accusations of racism similar to what he had faced. Sandmann added that doing so is "really a personal call that’s up to him."

NBC has not responded to the Washington Examiner's request for comment.
    Must nitpick.
    He reached a settlement in $225 million lawsuit.
    He most likely did not receive a $225 million settlement.

Just clarity on titling.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Must nitpick.

Just clarity on titling.
      Yeah, there's always the 30-40% lawyers hit, but NBC is paying a substantial amount for their shenanigans, and the kid won.

To me, that's the biggie.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, there's always the 30-40% lawyers hit, but NBC is paying a substantial amount for their shenanigans, and the kid won.

I think it is one of three settlements to date, with another yet to be determined.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I think it is one of three settlements to date, with another yet to be determined.
          I think the networks screwed up so badly on this that they deserve to pay up.

Comment

It is, but the Confidential settlement could be fo anything from 5 figures up. He might have settled for single digit millions. Significant, but nowhere near the ask.

Comment

It is, but the Confidential settlement could be fo anything from 5 figures up. He might have settled for single digit millions. Significant, but nowhere near the ask.
              Possible, but I'd expect the settlement be at least ten percent of the claim.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

If he's financially savvy then he's set for life. And all he had to did do was be tolerant and non-confrontational while a man aggressively beat a drum in his face.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Must nitpick.

Just clarity on titling.
                  Agreed except it was $275 million not $225 million

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Agreed except it was $275 million not $225 million
                    How DARE you nitpick my nitpick.

Comment

How DARE you nitpick my nitpick.
                      That's just your opinion and define "DARE"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Must nitpick.

Just clarity on titling.
                        My guess is he got between $1 and $3 million. That would be enough to satisfy him and what NBC and/or its insurance could easily afford. I just hope they learned their lesson from this and tighten their reins on further knee-jerk propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          That's just your opinion and define "DARE"
                          Ah. Boundaries. You must first make a good faith effort to figure it out from context.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

My guess is he got between $1 and $3 million. That would be enough to satisfy him and what NBC and/or its insurance could easily afford. I just hope they learned their lesson from this and tighten their reins on further knee-jerk propaganda.
                            Definitely not a 275 million settlement

Comment

Definitely not a 275 million settlement
                              Oh, certainly not. The absolute maximum I can imagine Sandmann getting might be $20 million.

I had to do a negotiation and settle out of court, and I dealt with the insurance company the most, not the company. The attorneys broke down everything: Loss of possible wages, permanent damage, reputation (etc) ... they factor all of that in and assign an amount to each one. It was all far less than what my attorneys sought, but they told me that they always sue WAY high and expect WAY low in a settlement.

Comment