Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Victory: Nick Sandmann Reaches $275 Million Settlement With NBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

My guess is he got between $1 and $3 million. That would be enough to satisfy him and what NBC and/or its insurance could easily afford. I just hope they learned their lesson from this and tighten their reins on further knee-jerk propaganda.
    If I had to guess they got at least 10% or $27.5 million.

Which would mean that after the lawyers get their share, Uncle Sam, the state, county and city get theirs, and after Bidenflation rips off its chunk... he should have enough to take the family out to dinner at a "nice" restaurant.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh, certainly not. The absolute maximum I can imagine Sandmann getting might be $20 million.

I had to do a negotiation and settle out of court, and I dealt with the insurance company the most, not the company. The attorneys broke down everything: Loss of possible wages, permanent damage, reputation (etc) ... they factor all of that in and assign an amount to each one. It was all far less than what my attorneys sought, but they told me that they always sue WAY high and expect WAY low in a settlement.
      If you look at estimated amounts typically paid out in such large cases (different when its only your local town paper compared to a national network), Sandmann clearing $20 million after everything is not at all far-fetched.

ETA: And if I had to guess, with this coming on the heels of Rittenhouse, that it might have been NBC that agreed rather than Sandmann

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My guess is he got between $1 and $3 million. That would be enough to satisfy him and what NBC and/or its insurance could easily afford. I just hope they learned their lesson from this and tighten their reins on further knee-jerk propaganda.
        Nah, whatever they paid likely came out of a pool of money set aside for just such an eventuality (most large companies maintain a "rainy day" fund), so it almost certainly didn't hurt them financially. They'll just be sure that when they do smear someone in the future, they'll do it in such a way that it'll be harder to sue them.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Nah, whatever they paid likely came out of a pool of money set aside for just such an eventuality (most large companies maintain a "rainy day" fund), so it almost certainly didn't hurt them financially. They'll just be sure that when they do smear someone in the future, they'll do it in such a way that it'll be harder to sue them.
          I don't believe they can restrain themselves. They get in trouble because of knee-jerk reporting. In Sandmann's case, it was all optics. They saw a close-up, made immediate assumptions, and ran wild.

Similar with Rittenhouse. They should have known better by then but they continued to associate Rittenhouse with "white supremacy" after the trial because the optics appealed to that (for them). The Liberal Loony Leftoids are a byproduct of Hollywood. If something looks like a stereotype, then it must be what it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            If you look at estimated amounts typically paid out in such large cases (different when its only your local town paper compared to a national network), Sandmann clearing $20 million after everything is not at all far-fetched.

ETA: And if I had to guess, with this coming on the heels of Rittenhouse, that it might have been NBC that agreed rather than Sandmann
            No argument. My lawsuit was for $200K, and I got $56K. I thought the original amount was ridiculous.

Sad thing is, my settlement has long been spent away.

Comment

No argument. My lawsuit was for $200K, and I got $56K. I thought the original amount was ridiculous.

Sad thing is, my settlement has long been spent away.
              In that case, you just have do something high profile but legal that gets the networks telling lies about you, and it's easy money.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In that case, you just have do something high profile but legal that gets the networks telling lies about you, and it's easy money.
                :) Gotta prove it's a lie, and it might take a while for it to be proven such.

Comment

If he stashes it away in some kind of education fund, would he still be subject to taxes?
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    If he stashes it away in some kind of education fund, would he still be subject to taxes?
                    Probably only so much he can stash. If he's smart he'll put most of it away.

Comment

Usually insurance. And IIRC, wasn't NBC (especially MSNBC) among those still calling Rittenhouse everything but a child of God after he was exonerated? They have another huge winner of the lottery-like payout already in the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Ah. Boundaries. You must first make a good faith effort to figure it out from context.
                        Context Schmontext! It means what we want it to mean!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Usually insurance. And IIRC, wasn't NBC (especially MSNBC) among those still calling Rittenhouse everything but a child of God after he was exonerated? They have another huge winner of the lottery-like payout already in the wings.
                          They are the ones he should go after, IMO. Everyone prior to might be able to claim their reporting was simply interpretation of available facts. However repeating facts debunked during the trial as if they were true opens them up to the lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Context Schmontext! It means what we want it to mean!
                            Thank you Humpty Dumpty

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                              They are the ones he should go after, IMO. Everyone prior to might be able to claim their reporting was simply interpretation of available facts. However repeating facts debunked during the trial as if they were true opens them up to the lawsuit.
                              It'll depend how how "shrill" they were prior to the verdict and if they were straight out lying during their coverage. But yeah those that continued after the verdict like CNN and MSNBC will be paying out big bucks.

Comment