Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A New Land War In Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

I do not put anything past Putin, and as history tells us - these things often go out of control rather quickly....
    Definitely.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      All the Russians have to do is wait until our troops are taking CRT classes.
      Which also begs the question why they're doing it now. They didn't amass these troops during Trump's term, so it seems pretty obvious. They know, like we do, how feeble-minded Biden is and how chaotic is admin is, which makes this a prefect opportunity for both Russia and China to make their moves. So if anyone had foreign help in the election, we could presume neither country wanted Trump at the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Which also begs the question why they're doing it now. They didn't amass these troops during Trump's term, so it seems pretty obvious. They know, like we do, how feeble-minded Biden is and how chaotic is admin is, which makes this a prefect opportunity for both Russia and China to make their moves. So if anyone had foreign help in the election, we could presume neither country wanted Trump at the helm.
        Every president will get tested by our adversaries. Putin watched old Joe's less than stellar performances on the international stage and handling of the Afghanistan withdrawal. It isn't inconceivable that Putin will take advantage only if Biden continues to such weakness and incompetence as he has thus far and would be quite happy with the right sort of incentives to play nice at least until after 2022.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Trump was the most anti-war president we've had in a very long time, yet his personality is one of strength and conviction. Biden is a wishy-washy puppet who has trouble keeping up with the weather. OF COURSE Putin and Xi see him as someone they can push around.

Having said this, sabre rattling isn't the answer. A cool-headed assessment needs to be done regarding Putin and Ukraine, Xi and Taiwan. Pick your battles wisely; which ones can be won, and which ones are worth the gamble. There's basically nothing that can be done about Ukraine militarily. Russia is in the driver's seat completely. My guess is Trump would try to aim Putin in another direction with carrots and sticks. Like a frilled lizard, Biden is going to bluster and not convince anyone.

I don't think Xi will do anything about Taiwan if everything quiets down. When Taiwan becomes an international topic, it embarrasses the communists because they never got the island back. They've been content for more than 40 years with its presence - so long as it isn't rubbed in their face. As much as they want it back, they don't want worldwide condemnation by taking it. I believe they wanted to use Hong Kong as an example of how Taiwan can reunite with the mainland and still retain some autonomy. That doesn't seem to be working out.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I would assume that other European countries would help Ukraine - I mean what makes any one think Putin will stop there?
            To be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure which side EU is on. They seem to be trying to appease both sides, especially with the whole gas pipeline situation. I think this all ties into Syria, gas pipelines, OPEC, Nord Stream, etc. -- all based on the struggle for energy conduits and who controls it all. It's all very discombobulated. But I wouldn't be surprised that if US and Russia got into a conflict, EU stood back to see who the victor was, and then that's who they'd placate. Not saying for sure that's what would happen, but I think the situation is a whole lot more complex than we can imagine.

Comment