Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A New Land War In Europe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Land War In Europe?

Deja vu all over again....

US says it will send troops to eastern Europe if Russia invades Ukraine

On eve of talks between Biden and Putin, European leaders say they have agreed to present a ‘united front’ on aggression towards Ukraine

The US has said it would send reinforcements to Nato’s eastern flank in response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine, as well as imposing severe new economic measures, in a warning to Moscow on the eve of talks between Joe Biden and
    Vladimir Putin.

Biden will also make clear to Putin on Tuesday that the US will not rule out future Ukrainian membership of Nato, as the Russian leader has demanded, a senior US official said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nvades-ukraine

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Don't worry it'll be Trump's fault somehow.

Comment

Based on the absolute ineptness of the Afghan pullout logistics, I imagine Russia would soundly whoop our behinds.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        Based on the absolute ineptness of the Afghan pullout logistics, I imagine Russia would soundly whoop our behinds.
        I would assume that other European countries would help Ukraine - I mean what makes any one think Putin will stop there?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          All the Russians have to do is wait until our troops are taking CRT classes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Russia surrounds eastern Ukraine, so that is a clear advantage. It can overwhelm that country with manpower. From what I've read, the U.S. has 2-to-4K troops in Poland. NATO has other various forces in Romania, Bulgaria, and the Baltic countries - none of which are very large.

Reading between the lines, Biden's "threat" is rather weak. All he is saying is he will deploy more forces on NATO's eastern flank if Ukraine is invaded. That's all; more forces in the east. He's not threatening to join any conflict in Ukraine.

My prediction: Russia will be "invited" in to rescue "freedom fighters" in the east of Ukraine. Russia will move in with limited fighting. The front line will stop somewhere in the middle of the country and Russia will (in some way or another) annex the east. Maybe it will be called a new country, like East Ukraine, or just absorbed into Russia. The west and Kiev will be left alone as Russia has little interest in that area. NATO will be frustrated but there isn't much it could do. Kiev will be on a fast track to join NATO after that.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I would assume that other European countries would help Ukraine - I mean what makes any one think Putin will stop there?
              IMO, Putin isn't interested in post-Soviet regions that are hostile toward Moscow. Just at how much trouble little Chechnya gives them, with terrorism and constant attempts to break away. Just trying to take west Ukraine would magnify that by several factors.

The Soviets were driven by ideology to control the world with Moscow as the capitol of communism. Modern Russia is a different animal. I doubt Putin wants to take any region that is hostile.
              Last edited by Ronson; 12-07-2021, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Russia surrounds eastern Ukraine, so that is a clear advantage. It can overwhelm that country with manpower. From what I've read, the U.S. has 2-to-4K troops in Poland. NATO has other various forces in Romania, Bulgaria, and the Baltic countries - none of which are very large.

Reading between the lines, Biden's "threat" is rather weak. All he is saying is he will deploy more forces on NATO's eastern flank if Ukraine is invaded. That's all; more forces in the east. He's not threatening to join any conflict in Ukraine.

My prediction: Russia will be "invited" in to rescue "freedom fighters" in the east of Ukraine. Russia will move in with limited fighting. The front line will stop somewhere in the middle of the country and Russia will (in some way or another) annex the east. Maybe it will be called a new country, like East Ukraine, or just absorbed into Russia. The west and Kiev will be left alone as Russia has little interest in that area. NATO will be frustrated but there isn't much it could do. Kiev will be on a fast track to join NATO after that.
                And the Chicoms watching us sputter and shake our fist in impotent rage will take this along with old Joe's self-proclaimed "outstanding success" in Afghanistan as a clear signal they can invade Taiwan.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

IMO, Putin isn't interested in post-Soviet regions that are hostile toward Moscow. Just at how much trouble little Chechnya gives them, with terrorism and constant attempts to break away. Just trying to take west Ukraine would magnify that by several factors.

The Soviets were driven by ideology to control the world with Moscow as the capitol of communism. Modern Russia is a different animal. I doubt Putin wants to take any region that is hostile. East Ukraine are mostly ethnic Russians.
                  Do you figure that they just want "Lebensraum"?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Do you figure that they just want "Lebensraum"?
                    (Note: - I had to edit my initial post about ethnicity)

I absolutely believe Russia doesn't want more terrorism. If it takes a mostly-sympathetic east Ukraine then Putin probably believes he will be safe. Kiev terrorists won't be blowing up trains in Moscow. But if he took the whole country, he'd open the door to all sorts of nightmares with a hostile population that would get weapons funneled to them from the west. You think he wants that?

Comment

And the Chicoms watching us sputter and shake our fist in impotent rage will take this along with old Joe's self-proclaimed "outstanding success" in Afghanistan as a clear signal they can invade Taiwan.
                      In 1979, Jimmy Carter switched official recognition of "China" from Taiwan to the mainland. Taiwan has been living on borrowed time ever since.

Comment

Perhaps it's time for a strongly worded letter.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Putin already knows that Biden is a coward. At best he will send a sternly worded letter and move some tanks around in Poland and Romania shaking his fist while Putin ignores him or laughs.

Comment

I wonder if both will happen at the same time - invasion of Taiwan and Ukraine - Biden would have a meltdown!

Comment

The Soviets were driven by ideology to control the world with Moscow as the capitol of communism. Modern Russia is a different animal. I doubt Putin wants to take any region that is hostile.
                              I do not put anything past Putin, and as history tells us - these things often go out of control rather quickly....

Comment