Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

AOC: smash-and-grab robberies are a myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOC: smash-and-grab robberies are a myth

AOC blasted for 'tone deaf' comment denying wave of smash-and-grab robberies

She is showing how incredibly out of touch with reality she is.

Representative Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez is facing backlash after suggesting that the recent wave of smash-and-grab robberies plaguing the country is untrue.
    Ocasio-Cortez told The Washington Times in an interview last week that "a lot of these allegations of organized retail theft are not actually panning out."

"I believe it's a Walgreens in California cited it, but the data didn’t back it up," she continued.
    Following her Walgreens comment, the company told The Washington Times "organized retail crime is one of the top challenges facing" the company and that the issue "has evolved beyond shoplifting and petty theft to the sale of stolen and counterfeit goods online."

Theft at San Francisco Walgreens locations has increased to such a level that the company said they have increased security spending in the city to 46 times what's at the average Walgreens location.

Ocasio-Cortez was blasted by the Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA), a trade association representing leading retailers, who said she "has no idea what she is talking about."

"Respectfully, the Congresswoman has no idea what she is talking about. Both the data and stack of video evidence makes fairly clear that this is a growing problem in need of solutions," Jason Brewer, RILA senior executive vice president of communications told The Washington Times in an email. "If she is not concerned with organized theft and increasingly violent attacks on retail employees, she should just say that."

Ocasio-Cortez's fellow Representatives also slammed her comments, with Representative Jim Banks saying the remarks are "tone-deaf and offensive" to the family of Kevin Nishita, a former police officer and grandfather of three who was working as a security guard for a news crew covering smash-and-grab robberies in Oakland.

"I don't know what data she is talking about," said Representative Rodney Davis. "But you don't really need much data from someplace in San Francisco or California. All you need to do is walk down the street to the CVS in Eastern Market,” he said, referring to a public market area near the Capitol in Washington DC. “I've seen on multiple occasions when I've been in there buying things, someone will come in and raid a shelf and walk out."

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Don't worry. I'm certain that her comments will get a fact check on social media.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      Don't worry. I'm certain that her comments will get a fact check on social media.
      It kinda explains how they can justify "defund police" - they are so isolated from reality...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Tone deaf or just more in your face gaslighting?

Remember when Jerrold Nadler proclaimed that antifa and the violence they were committing was nothing but a myth?

The left has nothing but contempt for the American people if they think that they can brazenly lie like this. The problem is that with far too many people, they can.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Remember when Jerrold Nadler proclaimed that antifa and the violence they were committing was nothing but a myth?

The left has nothing but contempt for the American people if they think that they can brazenly lie like this. The problem is that with far too many people, they can.
          Too bad this has fueled "freelance journalism", and things like Kyle Rittenhouse's trial no longer depend on "media accounts" from the left.

Comment

What an idiot...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"Respectfully, the Congresswoman has no idea what she is talking about."

When it comes to AOC, that's all that needs to be said.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Sounds like a disagreement over the definition of smash-and-grab.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Yeah...

Comment

Sounds much more like someone in total denial about what sort of "unintended consequences" that the policies she support inevitably bring about.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sounds much more like someone in total denial about what sort of "unintended consequences" that the policies she support inevitably bring about.
                      Anybody who has seen the video of what's happening would NOT have a hard time associating "smash" and "grab" with those images. So, yeah.

Comment

You could claim that, but given the article quoted her as saying "a lot of these allegations of organized retail theft are not actually panning out." makes such a hand-wave assertion to be non-sensical.

Comment

That still doesn't pan out because the videos I have seen are "smash-and-grab" - based on just about any definition. She likely hasn't seen any videos and assumes there aren't any.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That still doesn't pan out because the videos I have seen are "smash-and-grab" - based on just about any definition. She likely hasn't seen any videos and assumes there aren't any.
                            No, I believe Stoic is gaslighting you. She isn't arguing about smash and grab definitions, she specifically called them "organized retail theft" so don't follow him down the strawman road.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I haven't seen the interview, and I don't really trust the Washington Times in any case, but the descriptions in the OP about what has happened at Walgreens don't fit the definition of smash and grab.

Comment