Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Advanced Gaslighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Gaslighting

The left has increasingly relied on gaslighting the past few years in order to try to convince people that what they can see for themselves just isn't real. Whether its mostly peaceful protests to a sputtering economy beset by skyrocketing inflation is really a robust heathy economy, it is just one after another.

But there is one that I really didn't think they would even try. That they knew this one jumped the shark. And that is that old Joe is facing a much tougher time from the MSM than Trump did.

It is actually SOP for Democrats to do this. In spite of their circling the wagons around every Democrat president to protect him through spiking negative stories, repeating their spin verbatim as fact, and even bareface lying, they claimed they were rougher on Clinton and Obama than they were on Reagan or Bush. Only someone living under a rock would believe such nonsense as even the most cursory of examinations would immediately reveal that is not the case.

But after what they did to Trump for over 4 years to now come out and declare they treated him better than they do old Joe the only suitable response is a spit take. But, nevertheless, that is exactly what is taking place.

For instance, Dana Milbank, national political columnist for the Washington Post claims that he entered news stories into a computer and it determined that the press were having a love affair with Trump compared to all the vitriol they've been directing to lovable old Joe. Apparently he uses a computer program to measure the "tone" of adjectives in 200,000 articles to come to this conclusion. Of course negative adjectives could be used in these articles to be describing conservative opposition but let's not worry about details.

But then Milbank lets the cat out of the bag when he starts likening any criticism of the demented duffer to "serving as accessories to the murder of democracy" followed by proclaiming that "We need a skeptical, independent press. But how about being partisans for democracy? ... Too many journalists are caught in a mindless neutrality between democracy and its saboteurs, between fact and fiction. It’s time to take a stand."

Milbank is try to get his fellow travelers to join him in being an openly partisan hack. To stop pointing out old Joe's stunning ineptitude and incompetence because that is "serving as accessories to the murder of democracy"

Mr. Potato Head on CNN (a.k.a., Brian Stelter) picked up on this GIGO-based analysis yesterday and along with guest Eric Boehlert, a former writer for Salon and Rolling Stone, proclaiming how this was "long overdue" and scolding their fellow travelers to engage in some "self-reflection."

Needless to say old Joe's Chief of Staff quickly jumped on this

Interestingly, there actually have been several in-depth analysis of media coverage of Trump. During the "honeymoon" period of his first three months in office 89% of news reports were negative. In comparison, only 41% were negative for old Joe. And after that, between 2017 and 2021, the coverage of Trump averaged between 90 to 92% negative.

Is Milbank, Stelter et al., seriously suggesting that old Joe has been facing 90 to 92% negative coverage? I mean, given how old Joe has FUBARed everything he's done since in office, whether it's the economy, the border, Afghanistan, etc., he deserves 90-92% negative coverage but is anyone seriously suggesting that he got anywhere close to that much less even worse?

Biden took some serious well-deserved criticism after the debacle he created in Afghanistan (which he still insists was an "outstanding success") for a week or two but the MSM quickly put their muzzles back on and resumed their role of quiet lap dogs.

To pretend that old Joe gets worse than Trump's 90-92% negative reporting is so over the top to be beyond ridiculous.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

AI is very dumb. It requires good training data, or it puts out garbage results. I'm fairly certain this guy didn't due his due diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      AI is very dumb. It requires good training data, or it puts out garbage results. I'm fairly certain this guy didn't due his due diligence.
      Pretty much why I referred to it as a "GIGO-based analysis"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Pretty much why I referred to it as a "GIGO-based analysis"
        The Insurance Company with the little lizard?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The Insurance Company with the little lizard?

Every time I see GIGO I tend to think of GEICO.

Comment

Then there was the one about Trump being more hostile towards the media than Obama despite the latter punishing journalists who displeased him with invasive FBI investigations and IRS audits and even had them sent to prison. All Trump ever did was justifiably call them liars.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Then there was the one about Trump being more hostile towards the media than Obama despite the latter punishing journalists who displeased him with invasive FBI investigations and IRS audits and even had them sent to prison. All Trump ever did was justifiably call them liars.
              Trump did ban a reporter from CNN for a short time from his news conferences, but then Obama banned the entire Fox network, not just from his news conferences but from every federal government event.

Comment

Trump did ban a reporter from CNN for a short time from his news conferences, but then Obama banned the entire Fox network, not just from his news conferences but from every federal government event.
                Yeah, Trump temporarily banned Jake Tapper who broke the rules of decorum when he exceeded his allotted time and yanked a microphone out of an intern's hand when she tried to take it away from him, so it wasn't because he reported something that Trump didn't like.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 12-06-2021, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Every time I see GIGO I tend to think of GEICO.
                  BUT, do former Drill Instructors make good counselors?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The View shrews, Whoopie Goldberg and Joy Behar, jumped on the bandwagon and even demanded to know why the media is hyping all of old Joe's great accomplishments -- just like the White House is doing (because, after all, to the left, acting as the president's spin machine is what the press is supposed to do -- as long as the president as a "D" by his name).

Source: Whoopi, Joy Lecture Media: You're Underselling Biden's Good News!

Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg were enthusiastic cheerleaders for President Biden on Tuesday’s edition of The View. The hosts insisted the media weren’t giving the Democratic president enough credit and Biden’s poor polling among Americans was a result of too harsh media coverage.

Like she did before Thanksgiving, Whoopi started off the show dutifully sharing her Biden administration-approved talking points touting all the great things he was doing for the country.

Which begs the question, is The View now state-run TV?

"So President Biden recently passed his historic infrastructure bill that will benefit all Americans in many different ways, and his Build Back Better plan includes things like paid family leave, universal Pre-K, and health care measures that will drop insulin prices from $1,000 a month to just 35 bucks. Yeah. Sounds great!" Whoopi cheered.

The gullible audience reacted in shocked approval at that last point. Do they know that President Biden is now taking credit for an executive order President Trump signed in 2020?

President Trump took actions to lower drug costs in 2019 and the media bashed him for it, but now that Biden’s in office, it’s suddenly great news. In 2020, it was President Trump who lowered the costs of insulin to 35 bucks a month, and President Biden who put a freeze on that low cost when he came into office.

But facts are in short supply on The View, which is obvious considering Whoopi then griped that the media wasn’t praising Biden enough:

I guess the question is, why don't people want to hear the good news for a change or are we so addicted to people bashing that we don't recognize good things that are meant to help us unless they're in a package that isn't hysterical? "Like, oh my God, is he going to blow up the world?" You know? Is that what we need to hear when something good is happening here?

Co-host Sunny Hostin was less enthusiastic than she was in previous weeks and voiced her complaints from the far left, that Biden wasn’t doing enough to help blacks. But Joy Behar agreed with Whoopi that the media was nicer to Trump than Biden. Really?

She cherrypicked one example of a jobs report headline from the Trump years compared to Biden to illustrate her point that the media was biased against Biden:

You know, you said something interesting there. You said, you know, that people are not picking up on the good stuff. I believe that that's because the media is not portraying him as a winner. So for example -- [ applause ] For example, I have an example of that. So when the jobs reports came out last week, an, NPR -- they were both over 200,000 people when Trump was in, and when Biden is in. Both over 200,000 new jobs. There was a discrepancy, but approximately.

So, NPR, when Trump did it, this was the headline they ran. November jobs report -- this is for Biden. I'm sorry -- somewhat inarticulate right now. The jobs came out last week. NPR wrote this headline, ‘November jobs report is a bust.’ Okay? In 2019 during -- prior to the pandemic, during Trump they ran, ‘job market surges as employers add so many jobs in November.’

They are minimizing what he is doing,” Behar exclaimed.

But one less than enthusiastic headline doesn’t even come close to comparing to years of endlessly harsh, combative, and antagonistic media coverage from virtually every outlet.

Goldberg was very sympathetic to Biden. “He's got a lot on his plate, and he's been in nine months,”she stated before bizarrely claiming that she gave Trump credit his first nine months in office too.

“For me, you know, I'm on like I did with you-know-who. I want to wait and see what he does,” she stated. Again, really? Before he was even in office in October of 2016, Whoopi claimed Trump supporters were racist. Even more relevant to this discussion, she claimed the media was too soft on Trump, shortly after he won the 2016 election.

But guest co-host, former Republican Congresswoman Mia Love stated all the things Americans were unhappy about with the current administration’s leadership, from inflation to Afghanistan to the border. She pointed out how this wasn’t just her but the majority of Americans. “This is not just my opinion, right? Out of 70 Americans that rate the economy, 39 percent believe that the President is handling it incorrectly,” she hurriedly pointed out, but the other hosts were eager to shut her down. Behar rudely quipped, “Who are these people?” as the audience jeered.

“They’re Americans,” Love stated. And that flippant response from Behar perfectly illustrated the stark divide between the far-left View hosts and their audience compared to how the average American feels about this administration.

Still, Behar thought most people were on her side. "When the chips are down, Americans are going to understand that if Republicans take control of this country again, we are done as a country. Believe it!" she shouted.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*Bolding in original*]

A couple of quick observations:

I wonder if those two honestly believe that the coverage of Biden has been getting has been worse than the 90 to 92% negative that Trump experienced. I'd bet even during the whole week that the MSM took old Joe to task for his bumbling in Afghanistan he wasn't getting 90 to 92% negative coverage.

Among old Joe's great achievements does Whoopie include his "outstanding success" in Afghanistan? That's the way the duffer describes it.

The reason that he isn't getting praise for BBB is that most Americans realize that this massive spending spree will only make Bidenflation even worse. And they weren't as stupid as old Joe's keepers thought and weren't suckered into believing that it will cost nothing because it's all paid for (more blatant gaslighting[1])

Most people also realize that someone going back to work after being locked down is not creating new jobs.

The best thing that could happen to old Joe is for Behar to be right once in her life. It could only help him if the MSM minimized everything he does.

1. GASLIGHT.gif

Comment

UPDATE:

Source: That Washington Post column on media being harder on Biden than Trump is worse than you thought

Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank is as lousy a statistician as he is a political commentator.

Milbank claims journalists have been harder on President Joe Biden in the first year of his presidency than they were on former President Donald Trump in his last.

To back this claim, he points to a report prepared by the group FiscalNote, whose “artificial intelligence” reviewed some 200,000 news articles to determine “sentiment” based on variables including adjective placement.

The group’s findings, the Washington Post columnist writes, confirm his worst fears: “My colleagues in the media are serving as accessories to the murder of democracy.”

His thesis is obviously bunk — as if a computer could ever hope to gauge “sentiment” accurately depending on adjective placement. However, after a little additional digging, most notably by Don't Walk, Run! Productions, it turns out Milbank’s theory is even faultier than initially suspected.

For starters, FiscalNote’s data include a combined 514 Trump-related articles published last year by CBS News and MSNBC. However, the data include exactly zero Biden-related articles published this year by the networks. Either CBS and MSNBC simply forgot to cover the Biden White House, or FiscalNote omitted both networks’ coverage from its research.

Second, when it comes to gauging “sentiment,” the group explains that a truly neutral article is ranked at 0.000. The higher the number, the more positive the coverage; the lower the number, the more critical the coverage.

However, from a brief reading of the data, it’s clear there’s no consistency whatsoever to the research.

On Jan. 21, 2021, for example, CNN published an article titled “READ: Joe Biden's inaugural address.” There’s nothing to the article. No opinion whatsoever. It’s simply a raw transcript of the president’s inaugural speech.

Yet, the “AI” ranks the article a +0.260 on the "sentiment" scale.

Newsmax likewise published a wholly neutral article in January titled “Text of President Joe Biden's Inaugural Address.” There’s nothing to the story but the text of Biden’s inauguration speech.

The “AI” ranks the Newsmax article a +0.355.

It gets worse.

On April 29, 2021, CNN published another transcript under the neutral headline “Read President Joe Biden's first address to Congress.” Again, there’s no opinion or commentary included. It’s just the text of the president’s speech.

The “AI” ranks the article a +0.2688.

The Washington Examiner, meanwhile, did the exact same thing as CNN, publishing only the raw text of Biden’s address to Congress. The “AI” ranks the Washington Examiner article a -0.1010.

This is to say nothing of the fact that the “AI” inexplicably hands out positive rankings to critical coverage and critical rankings to positive coverage.

A January ABC News puff piece heralding Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris’s first tweets from the White House registers at -0.0701 on the “sentiment” scale. Meanwhile, an Associated Press report bearing the none-too-flattering headline “Immigrant detentions soar despite Biden’s campaign promises” clocks in at +0.0333.

An Associated Press fact-check titled “Biden distorts Virginia’s electoral history,” which concludes that the president did indeed distort Virginia’s electoral history, ranks at +0.1790. At the same time, an ABC puff piece hailing Biden’s signing of an anti-Asian hate crime bill, which the newsgroup describes as a “significant break” in “partisanship,” ranks at -0.1632.

It gets worse.

The data also contain multiple duplicates. This is in and of itself a problem, as duplicate stories will naturally throw off the weighted averages. But it’s actually worse than that. As it turns out, the “AI” gives different “sentiment” grades to the exact same stories.

An ABC report titled “Biden lands overseas without deal after House delays infrastructure vote” is listed twice in the data spreadsheet. The first time it appears, it's ranked at -0.1400. The second time it appears, it's ranked at -0.0824.

The Associated Press article “Pro-Biden groups to spend $100 million on August ad blitz” appears twice. The first time it appears, it's ranked at +0.1581. The second time it appears, it's ranked at +0.0540.

A New York Times opinion article titled “Biden Should Finish the Wall” appears on three separate occasions.

Its ratings are -0.3743, -0.1726, and -0.3136.

Also, a number of articles included in the “Articles Analyzed-Biden” data subset have exactly nothing to do with Joe Biden, including an Associated Press report titled “Lee Hart, wife of 1984 presidential hopeful Gary Hart, dies.”

The name “Joe Biden” doesn’t appear even once in the story. Yet, it ranks at -0.3617 on the “sentiment” scale as a negative against the current president.

One final thing: The “Articles Analyzed-Trump” data subset is supposed to review reports published between January and November 2020. However, the publication dates as reported by FiscalNote do not match the actual publication dates for dozens of stories.

FiscalNote claims the ABC story “GM announces jobs, electric vehicle after Trump criticism” was published on Jan. 1, 2020. However, it was actually published on March 22, 2019. The data also claim a Chicago Tribune editorial titled “Trump trifecta: He backs Hong Kong, supports democracy, annoys China” was published on Jan. 1, 2020. In actuality, it was published on Nov. 28, 2019.

And so on.

Put simply, the data are trash. Milbank either is incredibly lazy, illiterate, or a mixture of both.

It’s no surprise he’d get it so wrong. This is to be expected.

But what are we to make of FiscalNote and the supposedly straight news hosts who uncritically parroted the group’s findings? Did no one actually read the data?

Source

© Copyright Original Source

You got love how the computerized "media analysis" gave completely different ratings to the exact same thing -- reprints of old Joe's inaugural speech. How can something that is literally word-for-word identical get different scores? GIGO.

And stories not about old Joe and that don't even mention the duffer being used to increase the number of low ratings for him. I guess they had to pull a Jussie Smollett. He couldn't find any actual white supremacists so he had to fake it and this analysis couldn't find enough negative stories about Biden so they had to fake it. GIGO.

This crap is beyond defending which might explain how it fell from sight so quickly after the splash it created. Essentially it is about as accurate as phony "Everyman" Michael Moore's assessment of old Joe's performance in the Afghani bug out: "I’m still flabbergasted that he pulled this off with such grace and precision and safety."

That could only have been written prior to it taking place.

Comment

Yeah, Trump temporarily banned Jake Tapper who broke the rules of decorum when he exceeded his allotted time and yanked a microphone out of an intern's hand when she tried to take it away from him, so it wasn't because he reported something that Trump didn't like.
                        I thought that was Jim Acosta?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I thought that was Jim Acosta?
                          Maybe it was. They're all basically like minded clones, so it's easy to confuse one for another.

Comment

Maybe it was. They're all basically like minded clones, so it's easy to confuse one for another.
                            I recall Acosta not giving back the microphone after his multiple questions were answered (he squeezed three in) and Trump had him banned. Lasted about a week before all the whining from the MSM won out.

The funniest part was Peter Alexander from NBC tried to stick up for Acosta, and Trump said "I'm not too crazy about you either."

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I recall Acosta not giving back the microphone after his multiple questions were answered (he squeezed three in) and Trump had him banned. Lasted about a week before all the whining from the MSM won out.

The funniest part was Peter Alexander from NBC tried to stick up for Acosta, and Trump said "I'm not too crazy about you either."
                              Trump is the only president in recent memory who could wander into a hostile press pool and give at least as good as he got.

Comment