Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

85% of 'Defund Police' Crime Increase in Minority Neighborhoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85% of 'Defund Police' Crime Increase in Minority Neighborhoods

Who KNEW!!!

Despite its obsession with race, the media are blind to the nonwhite victims of rising violent crime.

In recent years, mainstream media have become obsessed with racism. Whether individual or institutional, racism has never faced greater public disapproval according to many reliable measures, yet publications like the New York Times and Washington Post inject the issue into stories on every conceivable topic—from music to sports to cuisine—all calculated to build up the narrative that America is white supremacist at its core. But in their zeal to highlight every racial microaggression at Ivy League universities or in corporate newsrooms, the media all too often ignore the real victims of crime and societal neglect, who are disproportionately nonwhite.

According to CDC data released last month, 2020 bore witness to the largest rate of increase in homicides recorded in modern history—a finding that tracks with FBI data. Murder rose 29 percent from 2019 to 2020, surpassing the previous record 12.7 percent spike from 1967 to 1968. Unsurprisingly, the victims of the latest surge in violence were not equally distributed across racial groups. The rise in black homicide victims from 2019 to 2020 was almost twice as big as the rise in white victims (28 percent versus 16 percent).

A new Marshall Project analysis on last year’s homicide wave in major American cities highlights the striking racial disparity: more than 85 percent of the increase in murders occurred in black and Hispanic neighborhoods, where homicide rates were already higher than in white neighborhoods. In Chicago, for example, black neighborhoods saw a rise of 27 murders per 100,000 residents, whereas white neighborhoods saw a rise of only two per 100,000.

The violence is continuing to escalate. In Philadelphia, after 2020’s three-decade high of 499 murders, the city has now set a new homicide record, surpassing 500 murders. The violence epidemic in the city was grimly captured earlier this year by a filmmaker making a documentary on gun violence who was killed as he went into his van to retrieve camera equipment.

Minneapolis, where George Floyd’s death triggered a tectonic shift in the criminal-justice system, has seen murders surge by an additional 7 percent this year, on the heels the city’s second-deadliest year in 2020. Parts of Minneapolis have been so ravaged by violence that community members recently wrote a letter begging Minnesota governor Tim Walz to deploy the National Guard to “stop the bleeding.”

In Chicago, after homicides rose a staggering 55 percent from 2020, murders have marginally jumped by another 5 percent, according to the most recent data. The city is on track to tally its highest homicide count since 1996, when 796 were killed. The recent murder of 24-year-old University of Chicago graduate Shaoxiong Zheng in Hyde Park generated campus-wide demonstrations by faculty and students to demand more stringent security measures. “We are here to learn, not to die,” protesters declared. A Chicago mother whose four-year-old daughter was recently gunned down echoed the pleas of the citizens in Minneapolis: “We need help in Chicago. . . . we need outside help from the National Guard or something because we are constantly living in fear.”

It is remarkable how these desperate calls for robust law enforcement are not only ignored in liberal media but deemed transgressive and racist. When Tom Cotton merely articulated the popular opinion to call on the National Guard to quell explosive BLM and Antifa riots, young New York Times staffers revolted. “Running this puts Black @nytimes staff in danger” became a viral slogan on Twitter shared by many Times employees. The disparity in how law-abiding, inner-city residents and highly educated elites perceive the threat of violence couldn’t be more jarring. Some have suggested that terrorized community members are exaggerating or have fallen prey to right-wing “hysteria.” Others, like Ilhan Omar, view rising homicide rates as more proof that the police are “dysfunctional” and should be completely dismantled.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Who KNEW!!!
    I for one am quite properly shocked.

In fact, I do believe that it is more than that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The white liberal elites are, once again, "helping" the black man.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Who could have seen this coming????

Comment

Must be one of those "unforeseen consequences" that the left is talking about that always seem to happen after they do something.

They're easy to spot afterwards because everyone else is saying "Told you so."

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Who KNEW!!!

Despite its obsession with race, the media are blind to the nonwhite victims of rising violent crime.

In recent years, mainstream media have become obsessed with racism. Whether individual or institutional, racism has never faced greater public disapproval according to many reliable measures, yet publications like the New York Times and Washington Post inject the issue into stories on every conceivable topic—from music to sports to cuisine—all calculated to build up the narrative that America is white supremacist at its core. But in their zeal to highlight every racial microaggression at Ivy League universities or in corporate newsrooms, the media all too often ignore the real victims of crime and societal neglect, who are disproportionately nonwhite.

According to CDC data released last month, 2020 bore witness to the largest rate of increase in homicides recorded in modern history—a finding that tracks with FBI data. Murder rose 29 percent from 2019 to 2020, surpassing the previous record 12.7 percent spike from 1967 to 1968. Unsurprisingly, the victims of the latest surge in violence were not equally distributed across racial groups. The rise in black homicide victims from 2019 to 2020 was almost twice as big as the rise in white victims (28 percent versus 16 percent).

A new Marshall Project analysis on last year’s homicide wave in major American cities highlights the striking racial disparity: more than 85 percent of the increase in murders occurred in black and Hispanic neighborhoods, where homicide rates were already higher than in white neighborhoods. In Chicago, for example, black neighborhoods saw a rise of 27 murders per 100,000 residents, whereas white neighborhoods saw a rise of only two per 100,000.

The violence is continuing to escalate. In Philadelphia, after 2020’s three-decade high of 499 murders, the city has now set a new homicide record, surpassing 500 murders. The violence epidemic in the city was grimly captured earlier this year by a filmmaker making a documentary on gun violence who was killed as he went into his van to retrieve camera equipment.

Minneapolis, where George Floyd’s death triggered a tectonic shift in the criminal-justice system, has seen murders surge by an additional 7 percent this year, on the heels the city’s second-deadliest year in 2020. Parts of Minneapolis have been so ravaged by violence that community members recently wrote a letter begging Minnesota governor Tim Walz to deploy the National Guard to “stop the bleeding.”

In Chicago, after homicides rose a staggering 55 percent from 2020, murders have marginally jumped by another 5 percent, according to the most recent data. The city is on track to tally its highest homicide count since 1996, when 796 were killed. The recent murder of 24-year-old University of Chicago graduate Shaoxiong Zheng in Hyde Park generated campus-wide demonstrations by faculty and students to demand more stringent security measures. “We are here to learn, not to die,” protesters declared. A Chicago mother whose four-year-old daughter was recently gunned down echoed the pleas of the citizens in Minneapolis: “We need help in Chicago. . . . we need outside help from the National Guard or something because we are constantly living in fear.”

It is remarkable how these desperate calls for robust law enforcement are not only ignored in liberal media but deemed transgressive and racist. When Tom Cotton merely articulated the popular opinion to call on the National Guard to quell explosive BLM and Antifa riots, young New York Times staffers revolted. “Running this puts Black @nytimes staff in danger” became a viral slogan on Twitter shared by many Times employees. The disparity in how law-abiding, inner-city residents and highly educated elites perceive the threat of violence couldn’t be more jarring. Some have suggested that terrorized community members are exaggerating or have fallen prey to right-wing “hysteria.” Others, like Ilhan Omar, view rising homicide rates as more proof that the police are “dysfunctional” and should be completely dismantled.
            I just can't get myself to believe that folks (even democrats) are that unintelligent to think defunding police wouldn't have a negative impact on society. I just can't do it. That type of dumb is something out of a comedy flick.

They knew it would have a negative impact, they knew it would create a worse situation than we have now, hence, the reason they promoted it.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I just can't get myself to believe that folks (even democrats) are that unintelligent to think defunding police wouldn't have a negative impact on society. I just can't do it. That type of dumb is something out of a comedy flick.

They knew it would have a negative impact, they knew it would create a worse situation than we have now, hence, the reason they promoted it.
              Next step: federalizing the police force.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Next step: federalizing the police force.
                That or maybe something bigger.

Comment

They're under the spell of the prince of the power of the air.

Comment

They're under the spell of the prince of the power of the air.
                    That's a given as far as him using the corrupt motives of others. But they're obviously (at least we assume) not running around like unconscious zombies unable to think or reason at all. They had to have had some sort of motive.

Comment

There has been a decades long cycle here in Atlanta that I'd be surprised isn't seen in other cities as well.

A group of "community activists" will rant and rail about police harassing their young men "who ain't doing nothing to nobody" and want them out of their community. This leads to less policing in these areas.

Between a year or two later the exact same group will reappear ranting that the police don't care about their community since they ignore the rising crime rate. This leads to an increase in policing in these areas.

Lo and behold a year or two later the exact same group reemerges to complain about police harassing their young men "who ain't doing nothing to nobody" and want them out of their community. Again this leads to less policing in these areas.

And guess what. A year or two later the exact same group reappears yet again wailing that the police don't care about their community since they ignore the rising crime rate.

Over and over. Again and again. The cycle never ends.

I have been watching this go on pretty much since the early 70s since I moved here. A couple members of the group change over the years but I swear the same three who stand in the middle have been there since the beginning and haven't aged a day

Comment

That's a given as far as him using the corrupt motives of others. But they're obviously (at least we assume) not running around like unconscious zombies unable to think or reason at all. They had to have had some sort of motive.
                        There's also that thing where they will be caused to believe a lie. They may actually believe they're right.

Scripture Verse: 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

There's also that thing where they will be caused to believe a lie. They may actually believe they're right.

Scripture Verse: 2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

© Copyright Original Source

Yeah pretty much what I think too. The stuff the left believes and promotes is so outlandish that it can't be anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah pretty much what I think too. The stuff the left believes and promotes is so outlandish that it can't be anything else.
                            It it were one or two of them, or even a small group, that'd be one thing - but it's like mass delusion.

Comment

It it were one or two of them, or even a small group, that'd be one thing - but it's like mass delusion.
                              And one thing right after another and all with "unintended consequences" following on its heels.

Comment