Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Parents of Michigan School Shooter Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    That is irrelevant. The issue is state legislation concerning firearms.
    I know that you consider inherent rights spelled out in our constitution as "irrelevant" but it does explain why there are such restrictions on propane tanks and not on firearms.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      The left loves to talk about more laws regarding guns, but does a very poor job of enforcing the laws that do exist. Or even the principles, as we see in this case.
      They'll pass more restrictive laws and refuse to enforce them (in fact they appear willing to scrap them if they expose illegal immigrants trying to unlawfully obtain firearms) so they can complain that they didn't work and we need another even more restrictive law that they will utterly ignore.

Rinse and repeat. We've all been on this Merry-Go-Round before.

It appears they want to say that they tried to control them and that didn't work so the only option is banning and confiscation.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I know that you consider inherent rights spelled out in our constitution as "irrelevant" but it does explain why there are such restrictions on propane tanks and not on firearms.
        State laws are not part of the Constitution. They are separate.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

State laws can not override the constitution.

Comment

That's too simplistic.
            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

This is not about the Constitutional right to bear arms this about state legislation being enacted to ensure that those arms are securely stored to prevent children gaining access to them.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they can circumvent constitutional rights.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they can circumvent constitutional rights.
                  As only 21 states have no legislation in place regarding child safety and firearms are the other states all in breach of the Constitution?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As only 21 states have no legislation in place regarding child safety and firearms are the other states all in breach of the Constitution?
                    Are you trying to play games about absolutes? I have corrected your statement that "state laws are separate from the constitution".

Comment

They'll pass more restrictive laws and refuse to enforce them (in fact they appear willing to scrap them if they expose illegal immigrants trying to unlawfully obtain firearms) so they can complain that they didn't work and we need another even more restrictive law that they will utterly ignore.

Rinse and repeat. We've all been on this Merry-Go-Round before.

It appears they want to say that they tried to control them and that didn't work so the only option is banning and confiscation.
                      Just like the Southern Border - if they really WANTED to fix the problem, there are things they can do, but it serves much better as a political football.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Are you trying to play games about absolutes? I have corrected your statement that "state laws are separate from the constitution".
                        My original remark on this thread concerned my shock that Michigan along with 20 other states according to a "study by the Giffords Law Center [sic]...had no child-access prevention laws for guns."
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

My original remark on this thread concerned my shock that Michigan along with 20 other states according to a "study by the Giffords Law Center [sic]...had no child-access prevention laws for guns."
                          And? You made an overgeneralized and over simplistic statement.

Comment

not how this works.jpg
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

State laws don't get to override the bill of rights or the constitution, hun. Back to making over-generalized and simplistic statements again, eh?

Comment

Your pedantic insistence on adding [sic] to the Giffords Law Center shows your unfamiliarity with the center itself. That's the proper name, after the former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords.
                                Also known as Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Comment