Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Parents of Michigan School Shooter Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents of Michigan School Shooter Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter

The parents of the Michigan school shooter have both been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

I am basing the following on the facts as currently being presented by the MSM. I reserve the right to revise my opinion as new information comes forward.

It does sound to me like they were willfully ignoring the signs their son was in deep mental trouble. In my house, we think the father bought the kid a gun to shut him up. It does seem that they were out of depth in dealing with him. Also, the gun was not secured in the house. One doesn't always want to hold parents' responsible for the acts of their older children but in this case, it does seem applicable.

I'm sure the gun control advocates are going to use this as a call for more gun control. I frankly see this as a failure of our mental health system. Apparently, many people were seeing signs that the kid was in trouble, but no one could make an effective intervention. There has been much effort to destigmatize mental health issues which is probably good. Unfortunately, we haven't done well when mental health and potential or real criminality intersect.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

So far, from info available, you're spot on.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think everyone on both sides can agree that if they gave a gun to their known mentally ill 15 year old son, they should be held responsible for what he does with it.

Comment

The most disturbing thing I read was something about him being caught looking for Ammo at school, and his mom telling him "don't get caught next time."

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          The most disturbing thing I read was something about him being caught looking for Ammo at school, and his mom telling him "don't get caught next time."
          "lol, I'm not mad at you, you have to learn not to get caught."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Parents of Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley, 15, weep in court after being found hiding in a Detroit art studio less than a mile from the Canadian border: Couple plead not guilty and insist gun used by their son was locked

She also revealed that on the morning of the shooting, a teacher found a chilling note on Ethan's desk, which featured disturbing drawings depicting a semi-automatic gun, a bullet, a shooting victim and a laughing emoji.

According to the prosecutor, the note included the words 'blood everywhere,' 'thoughts won't stop, help me,' 'my life is useless' and 'the world is dead.'

Jennifer and James were immediately summoned to the school to discuss their son's worrying behavior. A school counselor was able to obtain the note with the drawings, but McDonald said by then its contents had been 'altered.'

The doodles of the gun and the bullet-ridden figure were 'scratched out,' as well as Ethan's writings.

During the meeting, the Crumbleys were shown the note and were advised that they were required to get Ethan into counselling within 48 hours.

According to the prosecutor, the mother and father failed to ask Ethan if he had his gun with him, or where his gun was, and did not inspect his backpack.

McDonald said the parents 'resisted' the idea of pulling their son out of school at that time and left without him.

Officials previously said that at 12:51 p.m., Ethan walked into a bathroom at Oakland High School with a backpack, then emerged less than a minute later carrying the Sig Sauer handgun and opened fire.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

white trash...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                white trash...
                Parents of the Year material

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Parents of Michigan school shooter Ethan Crumbley, 15, weep in court after being found hiding in a Detroit art studio less than a mile from the Canadian border: Couple plead not guilty and insist gun used by their son was locked

She also revealed that on the morning of the shooting, a teacher found a chilling note on Ethan's desk, which featured disturbing drawings depicting a semi-automatic gun, a bullet, a shooting victim and a laughing emoji.

According to the prosecutor, the note included the words 'blood everywhere,' 'thoughts won't stop, help me,' 'my life is useless' and 'the world is dead.'

Jennifer and James were immediately summoned to the school to discuss their son's worrying behavior. A school counselor was able to obtain the note with the drawings, but McDonald said by then its contents had been 'altered.'

The doodles of the gun and the bullet-ridden figure were 'scratched out,' as well as Ethan's writings.

During the meeting, the Crumbleys were shown the note and were advised that they were required to get Ethan into counselling within 48 hours.

According to the prosecutor, the mother and father failed to ask Ethan if he had his gun with him, or where his gun was, and did not inspect his backpack.

McDonald said the parents 'resisted' the idea of pulling their son out of school at that time and left without him.

Officials previously said that at 12:51 p.m., Ethan walked into a bathroom at Oakland High School with a backpack, then emerged less than a minute later carrying the Sig Sauer handgun and opened fire.
                  At that point, the SCHOOL OFFICIALS were in charge, and it sounds like they failed miserably.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

At that point, the SCHOOL OFFICIALS were in charge, and it sounds like they failed miserably.
                    Yup. If the account is accurate they are also culpable. It looks like they gave the parents 48 hours to do something the morning of the shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yep looks like failures at all points of authority in this kids life.

Comment

Yup. If the account is accurate they are also culpable. It looks like they gave the parents 48 hours to do something the morning of the shooting.
                        We have foolishly entrusted them - the school officials - with the safely of our children when we drop the kids off at school --- it should be no surprise that the same idiots who are committed to social engineering at the expense of education should not be trusted with either.

Comment

After the parent's arrest and being charged with involuntary manslaughter, Frank Figliuzzi, a former FBI official and frequent national security contributor for NBC and MSNBC, went on MSNBC's Deadline: White House with Nicolle Wallace and immediately started issuing dire warnings about conservatives turning them into folk heroes.

So, I, you know, let's keep our eye on how those who are Second Amendment enthusiasts until, you know, the end of the Earth when it comes to even children having access to guns -- let's see how they respond. Let's see how this gets spun by perhaps members of Congress even, who are even owned by the NRA in many respects where their donations come from. Let's keep an eye on that and try to keep them honest in terms of what happened here. And the degree to which these now potentially fugitive parents become a cause celeb for the far right which would be a terrible politicization of a tragedy, but we have seen that before.

Once he was done politicizing the matter he did, in the very next breath, start talking about a need for school principals and guidance counsellors working closer with local police and sheriff departments

Comment

After the parent's arrest and being charged with involuntary manslaughter, Frank Figliuzzi, a former FBI official and frequent national security contributor for NBC and MSNBC, went on MSNBC's Deadline: White House with Nicolle Wallace and immediately started issuing dire warnings about conservatives turning them into folk heroes.

So, I, you know, let's keep our eye on how those who are Second Amendment enthusiasts until, you know, the end of the Earth when it comes to even children having access to guns -- let's see how they respond. Let's see how this gets spun by perhaps members of Congress even, who are even owned by the NRA in many respects where their donations come from. Let's keep an eye on that and try to keep them honest in terms of what happened here. And the degree to which these now potentially fugitive parents become a cause celeb for the far right which would be a terrible politicization of a tragedy, but we have seen that before.

Once he was done politicizing the matter he did, in the very next breath, start talking about a need for school principals and guidance counsellors working closer with local police and sheriff departments
                            I had to go back and reread, because on first reading - that was "MSNBC's Decline".

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                              The parents of the Michigan school shooter have both been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter.

I am basing the following on the facts as currently being presented by the MSM. I reserve the right to revise my opinion as new information comes forward.

It does sound to me like they were willfully ignoring the signs their son was in deep mental trouble. In my house, we think the father bought the kid a gun to shut him up. It does seem that they were out of depth in dealing with him. Also, the gun was not secured in the house. One doesn't always want to hold parents' responsible for the acts of their older children but in this case, it does seem applicable.

I'm sure the gun control advocates are going to use this as a call for more gun control. I frankly see this as a failure of our mental health system. Apparently, many people were seeing signs that the kid was in trouble, but no one could make an effective intervention. There has been much effort to destigmatize mental health issues which is probably good. Unfortunately, we haven't done well when mental health and potential or real criminality intersect.
                              I read about this and was horrified to learn from an article that a study by the Giffords Law Center [sic] found that 21 states had no child-access prevention laws for guns.

Why? What kind of society considers it acceptable to have firearms potentially accessible to children?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment