Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dr. Oz Announces Run for Senate in Pennsylvania

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dr. Oz Announces Run for Senate in Pennsylvania

    Dr. Oz Announces Run for Senate in Pennsylvania

    I honestly don't know much at all about the man. Is he a kook? Is this a good thing?

    Dr. Mehmet Oz, a celebrity physician best known for his “Dr. Oz Show,” announced Tuesday that he is running for U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania.

    Running as a Republican, Oz made the announcement a week after GOP candidate Sean Parnell abruptly suspended his bid after losing primary custody of his children in court. Parnell received endorsement from former President Donald Trump and was considered a leading candidate.

    “COVID has shown us that our system is broken,” Oz said in his first campaign ad, saying “Washington got it wrong” and “they took away our freedom without making us safer.”

    “As a heart surgeon, I know how precious life is. Pennsylvania needs a conservative who will put America first, one who can reignite our divine spark, bravely fight for freedom, and tell it like it is. That’s why I’m running for Senate,” Oz added.

    On his website, Oz lists the main issues he’ll focus on, including combating COVID-19, fixing health care, growing the economy, stopping illegal immigration, improving education, supporting veterans, and getting tough on China—a typical conservative vision for a Republican candidate.

    The 61-year-old candidate is also an author of New York Times bestsellers and an Emmy-winning TV show host. In 2018, Trump appointed Oz to the Presidential Council on Sports, Fitness, and Nutrition. He got reappointed by Trump in 2020.

    Oz first gained his fame as a medical expert on Oprah Winfrey’s show before starting his own show in 2009.

    Oz had lived in New Jersey for the past two decades before he began voting in Pennsylvania’s elections this year by absentee ballot, registered to his in-laws’ address in suburban Philadelphia.

    Pennsylvania’s U.S. senator race is already crowded, with almost 30 candidates vying for an open seat to be vacated by Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.). Toomey announced his retirement last year before the general election.

    The most prominent Republican candidates are conservative commentator Kathy Barnette, real estate investor Jeff Bartos, and Carla Sands, Trump’s wealthy fundraiser and ambassador to Denmark.

    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

  • #2
    He co-authored a series of "You" books that, at least at the time, seemed to be regarded as good, sensible health guides. I think his reputation as a cardiologist is pretty solid. But he also has a negative rep as a guy who is too uncritically accepting of "alternative" health practices.

    I'm not sure what to make of him as a Senate candidate. I guess I'm surprised he's running as a Republican. I'd forgotten about him working for the Trump admin. He got his start with Oprah, and while he never seemed as wacky left as she, I thought he was somewhat to that side of the spectrum.

    The buzz from the people who watch OANN and Real America is that he'd be a Trojan Horse and would flip as soon as he was in place.

    I have not been able to find out whether he is Pro-Life or... The Other. Even if he wins the Primary, I won't vote for him in the General absent the proper answer to that.

    I see ads for Carla Sands a few times every hour.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

    Beige Federalist.

    "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

    Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

    Let's go, Brandon

    Comment


    • #3
      Brilliant cardiac specialist but also a major purveyor of woo pushing homeopathy and other "alternative medicines" as well as psychic communication with the dead. IIRC, a few years ago over a thousand prestigious doctors sent a letter to Columbia University demanding that they sever ties with him (he was their Chief of Surgery).

      I'm always still in trouble again

      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

      Comment


      • #4
        He was on Fox news a couple of years ago talking about the homeless camps in California, including how unsanitary it was and that it was disease just waiting to happen.

        ETA: Correction. That was Dr. Drew. Never mind.

        Comment


        • #5
          oz.jpg

          I'm always still in trouble again

          "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

          Comment


          • #6
            I think he's smarmy. Never watched his show after one episode.

            Maybe he’d be a good politician, who knows. Lots of them are smarmy.


            Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              He co-authored a series of "You" books that, at least at the time, seemed to be regarded as good, sensible health guides. I think his reputation as a cardiologist is pretty solid. But he also has a negative rep as a guy who is too uncritically accepting of "alternative" health practices.

              I'm not sure what to make of him as a Senate candidate. I guess I'm surprised he's running as a Republican. I'd forgotten about him working for the Trump admin. He got his start with Oprah, and while he never seemed as wacky left as she, I thought he was somewhat to that side of the spectrum.

              The buzz from the people who watch OANN and Real America is that he'd be a Trojan Horse and would flip as soon as he was in place.

              I have not been able to find out whether he is Pro-Life or... The Other. Even if he wins the Primary, I won't vote for him in the General absent the proper answer to that.

              I see ads for Carla Sands a few times every hour.
              Thanks, that's helpful.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree with mossrose . There is something I don't like about him. He may be a real competent doctor, but his personality rubs me the wrong way.

                I also agree with NorrinRadd that he may be a Trojan horse candidate. It's real hard in the media world to find a genuine conservative especially when they appear on liberal channels.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

                "Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  I agree with mossrose . There is something I don't like about him. He may be a real competent doctor, but his personality rubs me the wrong way.

                  I also agree with NorrinRadd that he may be a Trojan horse candidate. It's real hard in the media world to find a genuine conservative especially when they appear on liberal channels.
                  What little I've seen of him, he does, indeed, seem like maybe his cornbread ain't done in the middle or something.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Colbert dragged him last night for everything from fake weight loss pills, to HCQ for COVID, to living in Jersey.
                    That's what
                    - She

                    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    Stephen R. Donaldson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Colbert dragged him last night for everything from fake weight loss pills, to HCQ for COVID, to living in Jersey.
                      Until the last bit I coulda shrugged it off.






                      It appears that he didn't actually do anything wrong with the diet pills, but rather that weight loss scammers used quotes he made (which ARE pretty much pseudoscientific crap) and used them without his knowledge to promote their garbage.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        He was on Fox news a couple of years ago talking about the homeless camps in California, including how unsanitary it was and that it was disease just waiting to happen.

                        ETA: Correction. That was Dr. Drew. Never mind.
                        IIRC, it was Dr. Drew who got canned by CNN for having the audacity to question Hillary's health during the 2016 campaign -- not long before her very public collapse during the 9/11 commemoration where she got dumped into the back of her van by her security detail before speeding off -- to her daughter's house.

                        I'm always still in trouble again

                        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Until the last bit I coulda shrugged it off.






                          It appears that he didn't actually do anything wrong with the diet pills, but rather that weight loss scammers used quotes he made (which ARE pretty much pseudoscientific crap) and used them without his knowledge to promote their garbage.
                          IIRC, that would mainly be the "raspberry ketones" thing. At that time, he had a blurb on his Web site asking to be notified of any entities using his name or likeness in conjunction with marketing diet pills, since no one had such permission.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                          Beige Federalist.

                          "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                          Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                          Let's go, Brandon

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So, apparently he's really hacked about the way the government has blown COVID, and thinks that the people should be trusted to make their own choices with all options.

                            He specifically said he doesn't want Oprah involved - he wants to do this himself as a Republican.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              So, apparently he's really hacked about the way the government has blown COVID, and thinks that the people should be trusted to make their own choices with all options.

                              He specifically said he doesn't want Oprah involved - he wants to do this himself as a Republican.
                              The Republicans appear to be warming to Oz (even as they confess they know little about his positions) as he steps forward to replace the retiring Sen. Pat Toomey (also Republican) after Trump-endorsed candidate Sean Parnell dropped out after a nasty custody battle which he lost.

                              Rep. Guy Reschenthaler (R-Pa.), a member of House GOP leadership, declared that,

                              "I’m endorsing Dr. Oz for Senate because Dr. Oz is our clearest path to victory in this election."


                              While not endorsing him Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is giving Oz a warm welcome:

                              "It’s a good sign for the Republican Party that somebody of his standing and stature would want to run under the Republican banner. He’s got an incredible background and personal story. It’s good news for the Republican Party, and I think he’d be very competitive."


                              Likewise with Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.):

                              "It's great to have someone who certainly is a game-changer the very first moment,” said Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.). “Who doesn't love a guy that’s got 100 percent name ID and a whole bunch of money?"


                              And Sam DeMarco, chair of the Allegheny County Republican Party, has said he talked with Oz recently and "came away very impressed."

                              Still others aren't convinced and are backing other candidates, like Rep. Dan Meuser (P-Pa.) who says he backs David McCormick (former Treasury Secretary under Bush), who he says is:

                              “an America First/PA First Senator” and “FROM PENNSYLVANIA!!"


                              Ironically McCormick is also moving from in from out of state (Connecticut) to Pennsylvania to run.


                              If Oz does run and win he would be the first Republican Muslim in Congress (and the first Muslim elected to the Senate).


                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seer, Yesterday, 06:17 AM
                              1 response
                              29 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Started by Bill the Cat, 01-21-2022, 02:21 PM
                              5 responses
                              52 views
                              3 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by Cow Poke, 01-20-2022, 01:20 PM
                              12 responses
                              75 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Cow Poke  
                              Started by rogue06, 01-20-2022, 09:16 AM
                              34 responses
                              210 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Cow Poke, 01-20-2022, 09:15 AM
                              3 responses
                              39 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Working...
                              X