Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Prediction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prediction

It appears that SCOTUS will be taking another look at Roe v. Wade.

I figure that if it is largely overturned (which probably won't have much practical affect) that the Red Wave coming during the midterms will effectively vanish.

Thoughts?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

I tend to think that the Red Wave is coming regardless, and saw an article on more military veterans than ever are running for office on all levels because of Afghanistan, and more "domestic terrorists" are running for office because of the school board and public education crap.

I'm still think both the House and the Senate go Red, regardless of SCOTUS.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I tend to think that the Red Wave is coming regardless, and saw an article on more military veterans than ever are running for office on all levels because of Afghanistan, and more "domestic terrorists" are running for office because of the school board and public education crap.

I'm still think both the House and the Senate go Red, regardless of SCOTUS.
      I think if Roe gets overturned that the left will become exceptionally energized and all bets are off.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I figure that if it is largely overturned (which probably won't have much practical affect) that the Red Wave coming during the midterms will effectively vanish.

Thoughts?
        I don't have much hope that the justices will overturn Roe v. Wade as this particular panel seems strongly adverse to making any decisions that could be considered the least controversial.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I think if Roe gets overturned that the left will become exceptionally energized and all bets are off.
          Right now, I don't think abortion is a big enough issue to drown out Covid, Afghanistan, economy, inflation (especially seeing a comment from the head of the Fed saying it's time to stop referring to our current inflation are transitory), etc. Yes, the left will be more energized, but I don't think it will be enough.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Right now, I don't think abortion is a big enough issue to drown out Covid, Afghanistan, economy, inflation (especially seeing a comment from the head of the Fed saying it's time to stop referring to our current inflation are transitory), etc. Yes, the left will be more energized, but I don't think it will be enough.
            Abortion is effectively a sacrament for the left. If you thought they have lost it now, the reaction to it being overturned would make that look like a dignified conversation. I think it is the only thing that could fire them up.

Comment

Yeah, I just don't see that happening.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, I just don't see that happening.
                Hence why I'm putting this in writing.

Comment

Thoughts?
                  I expect if the court rules, the democrats will go through with their court-packing dreams and going nuclear. Expect them to do as much as possible to enshrine themselves in power, and expect their water carriers tell us how this is needed to "rebalance" the courts, and "protect us" from republicans.

Plus, as one congressperson has already mentioned, expect "revolution."

I suspect that a negative ruling spells the death knell for an independent judiciary due to that reaction.

Comment

Arguments are over, court is done til Monday at 10.

Nothing astounding, but those who had hoped that Kavanaugh would be pro-life may be disappointed.

Sounds like several of the Justices were looking more at "adjusting" rather than the "strike down" or "sustain".

Comment

Turley suggests the possibility that they'll not strike down the State's restrictions on abortion, but allow the States to decide themselves.
                      There was a lot of focus on the "viability" aspect, which has substantially changed over the 50 years.

Comment

Arguments are over, court is done til Monday at 10.

Nothing astounding, but those who had hoped that Kavanaugh would be pro-life may be disappointed.

Sounds like several of the Justices were looking more at "adjusting" rather than the "strike down" or "sustain".
                        That is almost always the case.

Comment

Turley suggests the possibility that they'll not strike down the State's restrictions on abortion, but allow the States to decide themselves.
                          There was a lot of focus on the "viability" aspect, which has substantially changed over the 50 years.
                          I'm sure Turley is correct. Nobody on the Supreme Court wants to make themselves a political target or give the Democrats cause to make good on their threat to pack the court. Honestly, something needs to be done about the latter, because just the threat itself seems to have crippled the court to some extent. It needs to be established as a matter of law that the Supreme Court is to have no more than nine justices. I suppose that can only be done with a Constitutional amendment, but is that even possible in today's political climate?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

FWIU, that's pretty much what the result would be if it were struck down. It would go back to the states to make up their own minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I'm sure Turley is correct. Nobody on the Supreme Court wants to make themselves a political target or give the Democrats cause to make good on their threat to pack the court. Honestly, something needs to be done about the latter, because just the threat itself seems to have crippled the court to some extent. It needs to be established as a matter of law that the Supreme Court is to have no more than nine justices. I suppose that can only be done with a Constitutional amendment, but is that even possible in today's political climate?
                              Maybe if the Republicans do gain control of Congress they could send that up to old Joe as a bill.

He's said that he opposes packing but he may have forgot and will just repeat what "they" tell him his view is.

Comment