Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I never said atheism was about morality.
    And now you're straight up speaking falsehoods. I literally bolded -IN THE POST YOU JUST RESPONDED TO - where you did precisely that. Stop fibbing.

Rather, if atheism is true, then several conclusions necessarily follow, one of which is that there is no objective morality. Despite this, you contrarily value qualities like empathy, but if morality is truly subjective, then being empathetic doesn't make you a good person any more than lacking empathy makes you a bad person.
    And there you are doubling sown on the idiocy. I did not state empathy made you a good person. I stated that empathy, reason, etc., are used to form moral frameworks. If you can't even keep things straightfeom one post to the next I suggest going to a medical professional for alzheimers treatment.

We may as well be discussing which flavors of ice cream you prefer for all the moral significance it has. Furthermore, even if everyone on earth agreed that empathy was a good thing, if atheism is true, and if morality is subjective, then nobody has any obligation to be empathetic.

The fact that you instinctively buck against these necessary conclusions of your own worldview should be a wakeup call to atheists, but instead you settle into the warm comfort of cognitive dissonance and continue declaring that morality is subjective while behaving as if it's objective.
    See above, and thanks for further showing you didn't read the link.
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 12-03-2021, 08:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Why defensive postures? Why did Jesus tell those who did not already have swords to go and buy them?
    See my response to MM at post #235.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Asking "Who created the Creator?" is exactly the sort of nonsense question I would expect from a seminary dropout.

I suppose next he's going to ask if an omnipotent God can create a rock too heavy for himself to lift.
    Well of course you so. Because you can't answer the question. People like you hate such questions because they call your deity strongly into doubt so you push back with nonsense like this.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Most likely self defense since Jesus knew the persecution that was coming.
    More than likely from bandits since they would be commissioned to spread the Good News which required a good bit of traveling.

Of course we have a poster who declares that early Christians didn't travel because most were too poor to do so in spite of the evidence of churches spreading all throughout the Mediterranean and Mesopotamia during the first century.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Well if you do not believe in a Triune deity, you are not conforming with the Baptist doctrine. Baptists [including Southern Baptists] believe in the Trinity - i.e. a Triune deity.
    Now you simply doubling down on your ignorance --- I most certainly believe in a Triune God.

Really - stop saying stupid stuff.

Here's our Baptist Faith & Message, which describes what we believe.

Find the word "substance" in there.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    ....According to your later religious beliefs Jesus is of the same substance as the Father ...
    THAT is what I was referring to you - your ASSUMPTION that I (or Baptists in general) are creedal people.

That followed your display of arrogance in using the "cutting off of the ear" to show that aggression or the use of swords was endorsed by Jesus, when He very CLEARLY opposed that action, and actually healed the ear of the person who was accosted.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The "crap" is where you assign a position to a person ASSUMING you know what they believe - I don't care about your "differing" --- stop being such an arrogant ASSUMER!
    Well if you do not believe in a Triune deity, you are not conforming with the Baptist doctrine. Baptists [including Southern Baptists] believe in the Trinity - i.e. a Triune deity.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

The "crap" is where you assign a position to a person ASSUMING you know what they believe - I don't care about your "differing" --- stop being such an arrogant ASSUMER!
    That's interesting, given how much she uses the "did I say that" argurment when someone infers her position from what she's written,

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Given your initial comment and your reference to "this crap", I would beg to differ.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

I know quite about about it
    Given your initial comment and your reference to "this crap", I would beg to differ.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Premised on historical evidence ][and not just Bronowski's reference to Nazi Germany] that arrogance of having "absolute knowledge" is something Mountain Man seems reluctant to recognise.
    Because it is a stupid argument. As I explained it depends on the content of the belief. And one does not have to believe in absolute knowledge to be cruel or murderous.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You do not appear to know anything about the First Council of Nicaea in 325 CE which attempted to settle the debate over Homoousios [same substance] and Homoiousios [similar substance].
    I know quite about about it - that doesn't mean it's what I believe.

In other words was the Son co-equal with the Father or a lesser deity [subordinationism]?
    You would look a lot less ignorant by asking questions than making assumptions, then trying to cover your but with arrogance.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

There is actual violence in Matthew where one of "those with Jesus" uses his sword to strike another man and in doing so cuts off his ear.

"Suddenly, one of those with Jesus put his hand on his sword, drew it, and struck the slave of the high priest, cutting off his ear." [Matthew 26.51]

Not overly pacific behaviour is it?

"And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear.Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Where do you get this crap?
    You do not appear to know anything about the First Council of Nicaea in 325 CE which attempted to settle the debate over Homoousios [same substance] and Homoiousios [similar substance].

In other words was the Son co-equal with the Father or a lesser deity [subordinationism]?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    For what purpose did Jesus want those who did not already have a sword to go and buy one?
    Most likely self defense since Jesus knew the persecution that was coming.

There is actual violence in Matthew where one of "those with Jesus" uses his sword to strike another man and in doing so cuts off his ear.

"Suddenly, one of those with Jesus put his hand on his sword, drew it, and struck the slave of the high priest, cutting off his ear." [Matthew 26.51]

Not overly pacific behaviour is it?
    Keep reading. Jesus immediately chastised him for being the aggressor.

Leave a comment: