Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If they understood it, then they wouldn't be atheists. Duh.
    I know plenty of atheists who understand it well enough and still reject it for various reasons.

What I'm talking about is a specific subset. Those who claim that they were in seminary when they had the atheist version of an epiphany. For whatever reason the ones that claim that seem to have the least comprehension about that they seek to criticize.

Now a certain someone may say it is a generalization, and it is, but it is also an observation that keeps getting verification.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Why is it that those who are atheists and claim to have been in seminary seem to have such a miserable understanding of the Bible and Christianity in general?
    If they understood it, then they wouldn't be atheists. Duh.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    Because we don't accept your handwaves and picking and choosing and vast convoluted 'logic' that you make up to try to hold your beliefs together. And as a result, you try to explain THAT by reasssuring yourself that we just don't understand the Bible and Christianity, and that's the reason we bring things up that shake your beliefs. Because it's too terrifying for you to consider the alternative. I remember being the same as you and thinking those same things..
    When y'all don't even get the basics right you can't legitimately hide behind claims of handwaves and picking and choosing and vast convoluted 'logic'

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Then why did you refer to my comments about a Triune deity as "this crap"?
    Your dishonesty again raises her ugly head....

You had assumed to know what I believe...

According to your later religious beliefs Jesus is of the same substance as the Father ...
    I responded with...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Where do you get this crap?
    Because we use the term "essence" rather than "substance".

It was LATER you falsely accused me of not believing in a Triune God --- we're still on the issue of "substance".

And I was CLEAR what "crap" I was referencing...

The "crap" is where you assign a position to a person ASSUMING you know what they believe - I don't care about your "differing" --- stop being such an arrogant ASSUMER!
    We don't hold to any creeds.

You have alleged that you have some acquaintance with Latin and Greek.
    I have.

The Greek term Homoousios [same substance] translates into Latin as Consubstantia.

That is the basis of the Triune deity - i.e. the Trinity.

Your creed incorporates language from the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed.
    We don't have a creed. And we purposely use the word "essence" instead of "substance".

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Why is it that those who are atheists and claim to have been in seminary seem to have such a miserable understanding of the Bible and Christianity in general?
    Because we don't accept your handwaves and picking and choosing and vast convoluted 'logic' that you make up to try to hold your beliefs together. And as a result, you try to explain THAT by reasssuring yourself that we just don't understand the Bible and Christianity, and that's the reason we bring things up that shake your beliefs. Because it's too terrifying for you to consider the alternative. I remember being the same as you and thinking those same things.

It's like those who post stuff saying evolution is nonsense. Many if not most of those started by saying that they studied evolution in college (I'll assume they meant to say they took a biology class) right before making it clear that they got their science from comic books.
    Most didn't, actually. Most creationists at best got a high school education.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Damn, you guys choose the funniest things to try to use as an insult. That's a badge of honor, son. I broke the brainwashing that had been placed upon me by your faith my entire life. I'm Edited by a Moderator proud of that, that I didn't remain a little drone like you.

It's like those who post stuff saying evolution is nonsense. Many if not most of those started by saying that they studied evolution in college (I'll assume they meant to say they took a biology class) right before making it clear that they got their science from comic books.
    Last edited by QuantaFille; 12-03-2021, 11:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Says the guy who thinks asking "Who created the Creator?" is sound rhetoric.

Maybe if you had the intellectual stamina to stick it out to graduation, you might have learned what a stupid question that really is.
    Your mother dropped you on your head a lot as a child, didn't she?

I'd call you a sheep but that would be an insult to those wonderful animals.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    If you say so.

Sorry I wasted my time with something that clearly sailed over your head.
    I never made the argument that you chose to argue against in your post (never said a single word about it, in fact - if you beg to differ, I demand you quote me). MM is the one that brought it up himself, and I ignored it, for that very reason of it being a strawman.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

Damn, you guys choose the funniest things to try to use as an insult. That's a badge of honor, son. I broke the brainwashing that had been placed upon me by your faith my entire life. I'm Edited by a Moderator proud of that, that I didn't remain a little drone like you.
    Says the guy who thinks asking "Who created the Creator?" is sound rhetoric.

Maybe if you had the intellectual stamina to stick it out to graduation, you might have learned what a stupid question that really is.
    Last edited by QuantaFille; 12-03-2021, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

AN entire post dedicated to a strawman, how lovely.
    If you say so.

Sorry I wasted my time with something that clearly sailed over your head.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Strictly yes, in the Greek it is essence. The Latin is consubstantia.

Either way I do not think some here know a great deal about the early history of their religion
    "Knowing the early history" of one's religion does not imply that one holds to every aspect of what has been debated in the past.

Not claiming to subscribe to a creed is not the same not knowing about it, or even rejecting it.

You make WAY too many dumb assumptions.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

And "essence" is what we use in our summary of the Trinity.

There is one and only one living and true God. He is an intelligent, spiritual, and personal Being, the Creator, Redeemer, Preserver, and Ruler of the universe. God is infinite in holiness and all other perfections. God is all powerful and all knowing; and His perfect knowledge extends to all things, past, present, and future, including the future decisions of His free creatures. To Him we owe the highest love, reverence, and obedience. The eternal triune God reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being.
    Which makes your original objection a distinction without a difference. THus why I questioned why you don't believe in the Trinity, and upon learning you do, pointed out that she seems to be correct that you didn't understand, despite your claims that you did. Honestly you'd have been better off taking my out of you just trolling her, brudder.
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 12-03-2021, 09:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Actually it best translates as same essence, IIRC, but substance is an acceptable alternative.
    Strictly yes, in the Greek it is essence. The Latin is consubstantia.

Either way I do not think some here know a great deal about the early history of their religion

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Actually it best translates as same essence, IIRC, but substance is an acceptable alternative.
    And "essence" is what we use in our summary of the Trinity.

There is one and only one living and true God. He is an intelligent, spiritual, and personal Being, the Creator, Redeemer, Preserver, and Ruler of the universe. God is infinite in holiness and all other perfections. God is all powerful and all knowing; and His perfect knowledge extends to all things, past, present, and future, including the future decisions of His free creatures. To Him we owe the highest love, reverence, and obedience. The eternal triune God reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Whatever you say, seminary dropout.

Moderated By: QuantaFille

Please watch your language.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 12-03-2021, 11:49 AM.

Leave a comment: