Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

No one else has commented on your remarks made in another thread.

I'd also point out that for many Christians Pelagianism is deemed heretical.
    Which is known and understood. I can be mistaken for Pelagian. Where the speaker knows the difference between straw-man Pelagius and the real Pelagius, I need do no more than stipulate, "but not straw-man Pelagius." I have also been thought of as Arian, which, given that I acknowledge that Arius was not wrong on every point, is forgivable. That takes a bit more explaining.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

No-one who was commenting on what I have written would deem my comments to reflect gnosticism. Maybe Pelagianism or Asceticism on occasion, but not gnosticism.
    No one else has commented on your remarks made in another thread.

I'd also point out that for many Christians Pelagianism is deemed heretical.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

I am simply commenting on what you have written.
    As others have noted, you tend to use the same tactics you criticize others for.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

No-one who was commenting on what I have written would deem my comments to reflect gnosticism. Maybe Pelagianism or Asceticism on occasion, but not gnosticism.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Lessee, at this point you would be muttering something about mind reading

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

And it comes as no surprise to me that you think you know more about my beliefs than I do - so be it.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

As I have observed in previous exchanges with you on other another thread, you exhibit a tendency towards Gnostic ideas. Hence your reference to various periphrastic verses in John and other NT writings come as no surprise.
    And it comes as no surprise to me that you think you know more about my beliefs than I do - so be it.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

No formally organised church that I know of accepts the raw Biblical statements regarding the nature of Logos and his relationship to the Father.
    The creed of 325 in itself does not conflict with the raw Biblical information, the later creeds do.
    As I have observed in previous exchanges with you on other another thread, you exhibit a tendency towards Gnostic ideas. Hence your reference to various periphrastic verses in John and other NT writings come as no surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Not exactly even a catechism
    When somebody expresses interest in joining our Church, I give them a copy of the BF&M (in pamphlet form) and ask them to read it - then I ask them to let me know if there was anything with which they substantially disagreed. I do not ask them "do you agree with all of it", or ask them to sign a copy.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

He does, which means, currently, it's not.

I think a major difference is that we don't "recite" the BF&M, nor do we require anybody to "hold to it" or to "subscribe" to it. It's a body of work that attempts to define who we are.

I'd bet the vast majority of Southern Baptists don't even know what's in it.
    Not exactly even a catechism

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Ralph and Sam
    image_56630.jpg
    EGGzackly. I tried to get NRAJeff to understand that, because I liked him as an individual, but he was SO WRONG on all things Mormon!

(well, he was "so right" on what they believed, but SO WRONG)

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This little tag is always an indication that you're about to type something really stupid, not sarcastic.

Verily! Verily!

With regards to Gondy - I already said I was "poking" him, just like I do Sparko, Rogue, and others I like. Do you REALLY think I was serious when I was mockingly "singing" the "Gondy and H_A up in a tree"? That's a silly little song that kids sing when they see somebody being cozy.

I think you're just jealous because I don't like you as much as I like them.
    She may just be jealous because she knows she doesn't have actually a chance with me.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    He seems like the kind of guy you could have a knock-down-drag-out fight with and then go have a beer with afterwards.
    Ralph and Sam
    image_56630.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    [intentional sarcasm:
    This little tag is always an indication that you're about to type something really stupid, not sarcastic.

Oh of course how silly of me.
    Verily! Verily!

I should realise that when you engage in behaviour defined as trolling [See the Urban Dictionary: "making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments ...with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction] you are not actually trolling but when other people make comments you do not agree with, or like, they are trolling.]
    With regards to Gondy - I already said I was "poking" him, just like I do Sparko, Rogue, and others I like. Do you REALLY think I was serious when I was mockingly "singing" the "Gondy and H_A up in a tree"? That's a silly little song that kids sing when they see somebody being cozy.

I think you're just jealous because I don't like you as much as I like them.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Spencer argues well for reintroducing "creed" as the appropriate term for statements of belief.
    He does, which means, currently, it's not.

I think a major difference is that we don't "recite" the BF&M, nor do we require anybody to "hold to it" or to "subscribe" to it. It's a body of work that attempts to define who we are.

I'd bet the vast majority of Southern Baptists don't even know what's in it.

Leave a comment: