Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Where have I suggested it was "worse"? Christian internecine war and persecution was certainly horrifically ridiculous in its fanaticism over such trivial things as "words and names".
    And Germans killed other Germans for their facial features, their beliefs, and their words (and definitely their names!!!!), and who they did the dirty with......

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

You do realise that plenty of good Christian Germans were in the Nazi Party, and that Pastor Niemöller was an anti-Semite who supported Hitler's early policies towards German Jews?
    I do. So?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Probably because they were "Christian" Germans.
    You do realise that plenty of good Christian Germans were in the Nazi Party, and that Pastor Niemöller was an anti-Semite who supported Hitler's early policies towards German Jews?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And that's worse than the reason's that the Nazis choose to send various groups to be liquidated in which way exactly?
    Where have I suggested it was "worse"? Christian internecine war and persecution was certainly horrifically ridiculous in its fanaticism over such trivial things as "words and names".

However, Christianity did rather set the agenda with the persecution of the Jews as they had been persecuted by the Christian church and Christian societies long before the Nazis came along. The Nazis merely utilised their own and other existing anti-Semitic tropes and slanders.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    As well as for what they said and believed. You know, not a whole lot different than what H_A was saying
    Indeed, true.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Be grateful you are not living a few centuries ago. You would have been burned for heresy.
    As someone already addressed the obvious point of how you should similarly be grateful to not have been living in Germany in the 40s, being what you are.....
    Also be grateful you were not born in Saudi Arabia today. A lesbian like yourself could face capital punishment.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

And Germans killed other Germans for their facial features, and who they did the dirty with......
    As well as for what they said and believed. You know, not a whole lot different than what H_A was saying

I wonder if I can get her to say her example is worse -- a worse atrocity >:)

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Hardly. Christians killed other Christians for daring to disagree about "words and names". It was internecine murder and torture.
    And that's worse than the reason's that the Nazis choose to send various groups to be liquidated in which way exactly?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

And Germans killed other Germans for their facial features, and who they did the dirty with......
    Probably because they were "Christian" Germans.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Hardly. Christians killed other Christians for daring to disagree about "words and names". It was internecine murder and torture.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    That's pretty much like saying be thankful that you're not a Jew in Germany in the 1930s-40s.

Or, given that they put gays and lesbians in concentration camps as well, be thankful you aren't living just 70 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Be grateful you are not living a few centuries ago. You would have been burned for heresy.
    That's pretty much like saying be thankful that you're not a Jew in Germany in the 1930s-40s.

Or, given that they put gays and lesbians in concentration camps as well, be thankful you aren't living just 70 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

Assuredly

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Which is known and understood. I can be mistaken for Pelagian. Where the speaker knows the difference between straw-man Pelagius and the real Pelagius, I need do no more than stipulate, "but not straw-man Pelagius." I have also been thought of as Arian, which, given that I acknowledge that Arius was not wrong on every point, is forgivable. That takes a bit more explaining.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

No one else has commented on your remarks made in another thread.

I'd also point out that for many Christians Pelagianism is deemed heretical.
    I'd also point out that for many christians, being a lesbian is an abomination, what's your point?

Leave a comment: