Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Beware tabibito! You may find @Civil Discourse accusing you of "simple" or even "simplistic answers"!

However, the reasons behind those events are complicated.
    True - racism on the basis of skin colour is a fairly recent development. In times past it was much more subtle, but the old forms have not lapsed. I suppose it might be possible to term some of the older forms ethnicism and faithism.
    Last edited by tabibito; 12-05-2021, 06:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Whether Old Testament records of anti Jewish action can properly be termed anti-semitism (as in racism) may be subject to debate.

First Century CE

19 CE
    Roman Emperor Tiberius expels Jews from Rome. Their expulsion is recorded by the Roman historical writers Suetonius, Josephus, and Cassius Dio.

38 CE
    Thousands of Jews killed by mobs in the Alexandrian pogrom, as recounted by Philo of Alexandria in Flaccus. Synagogues are defiled, Jewish leaders are publicly scourged, and the Jewish population is confined to one quarter of the city.[8]

50 CE
    Jews are ordered by Roman Emperor Claudius "not to hold meetings", in the words of Cassius Dio (Roman History, 60.6.6). Claudius later expelled Jews from Rome, according to both Suetonius ("Lives of the Twelve Caesars", Claudius, Section 25.4) and Acts 18:2.

66 CE
    Under the command of Tiberius Julius Alexander, Roman soldiers killed about 50,000 Jews in the Alexandria riot.

And of course

66–73 CE
    The First Jewish–Roman War against the Romans is crushed by Vespasian and Titus. Titus refuses to accept a wreath of victory, because there is "no merit in vanquishing people forsaken by their own God."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_antisemitism
    Beware tabibito! You may find @Civil Discourse accusing you of "simple" or even "simplistic answers"!

However, the reasons behind those events are complicated.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

That has nothing whatsoever to do with what you originally wrote at post # 349 and is not what I requested.

You made a definitive statement concerning my post # 348 and wrote that "Hypatia only prefers simple answers to complex subjects when she's the one giving the simplistic answers".

I am asking you to support your remark [utilising what I have written in that post # 348] and your own knowledge of those respective subjects to illustrate in what regard you consider that my comments in post #348 were either "simple answers" or "simplistic answers."

I do hope I am not detecting pusillanimity with regard to my request.
    Did I reference you saying that In this thread?

You are making stuff up again.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I've simply observed your behavior in this and other threads. You have no problem with simplistic answers to complex subjects, provided you are giving the simplistic answers. You only pull out the "complex issues" excuse when you want to discredit someone's point without ever addressing it.
    That has nothing whatsoever to do with what you originally wrote at post # 349 and is not what I requested.

You made a definitive statement concerning my post # 348 and wrote that "Hypatia only prefers simple answers to complex subjects when she's the one giving the simplistic answers".

I am asking you to support your remark [utilising what I have written in that post # 348] and your own knowledge of those respective subjects to illustrate in what regard you consider that my comments in post #348 were either "simple answers" or "simplistic answers."

I do hope I am not detecting pusillanimity with regard to my request.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Whether Old Testament records of anti Jewish action can properly be termed anti-semitism (as in racism) may be subject to debate.

First Century CE

19 CE
    Roman Emperor Tiberius expels Jews from Rome. Their expulsion is recorded by the Roman historical writers Suetonius, Josephus, and Cassius Dio.

38 CE
    Thousands of Jews killed by mobs in the Alexandrian pogrom, as recounted by Philo of Alexandria in Flaccus. Synagogues are defiled, Jewish leaders are publicly scourged, and the Jewish population is confined to one quarter of the city.[8]

50 CE
    Jews are ordered by Roman Emperor Claudius "not to hold meetings", in the words of Cassius Dio (Roman History, 60.6.6). Claudius later expelled Jews from Rome, according to both Suetonius ("Lives of the Twelve Caesars", Claudius, Section 25.4) and Acts 18:2.

66 CE
    Under the command of Tiberius Julius Alexander, Roman soldiers killed about 50,000 Jews in the Alexandria riot.

And of course

66–73 CE
    The First Jewish–Roman War against the Romans is crushed by Vespasian and Titus. Titus refuses to accept a wreath of victory, because there is "no merit in vanquishing people forsaken by their own God."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_antisemitism
    Last edited by tabibito; 12-05-2021, 05:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Let's see how we get on, shall we?

I posted these comments.

"That is, as is your wont, a sweeping generalisation. You would need to define what you understand by "Anti-Semitism" when applying that term to the ancient world. However, I doubt that will occur because i suspect you do not know enough about the subject.

Furthermore, as with all history, it's complicated.

Anti-Semitism has existed within the Christian world for nearly two millennia. The Nazi leaders came from [often deeply religious e.g. Austria and Bavaria] Christian countries and communities. Furthermore there were plenty of anti-Semites and anti-Semitic political parties across Europe [and indeed the USA] who used the same tropes towards the Jews.

That is a fact that some people here seem to forget."

In response to that post you wrote this;

"Yeah Don't you know, Hypatia only prefers simple answers to complex subjects when she's the one giving the simplistic answers."

Kindly illustrate from what I wrote [and using your own knowledge of those two topics] where you consider I gave "simple answers to complex subjects" or provided "simplistic answers.".
    I've simply observed your behavior in this and other threads. You have no problem with simplistic answers to complex subjects, provided you are giving the simplistic answers. You only pull out the "complex issues" excuse when you want to discredit someone's point without ever addressing it.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Continue the conversation here because you've spent absolutely no effort actually trying to keep this thread on topic, and are just now trying to tell people to make another thread so you can avoid the conversation?
    Let's see how we get on, shall we?

I posted these comments.

"That is, as is your wont, a sweeping generalisation. You would need to define what you understand by "Anti-Semitism" when applying that term to the ancient world. However, I doubt that will occur because i suspect you do not know enough about the subject.

Anti-Semitism has existed within the Christian world for nearly two millennia. The Nazi leaders came from [often deeply religious e.g. Austria and Bavaria] Christian countries and communities. Furthermore there were plenty of anti-Semites and anti-Semitic political parties across Europe [and indeed the USA] who used the same tropes towards the Jews.

That is a fact that some people here seem to forget."

In response to that post you wrote this;

"Yeah Don't you know, Hypatia only prefers simple answers to complex subjects when she's the one giving the simplistic answers."

Kindly illustrate from what I wrote [and using your own knowledge of those two topics] where you consider I gave "simple answers to complex subjects" or provided "simplistic answers.".

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    What I presented are known facts.

However, if you want a serious exchange on the history of anti-Semitism within Christianity you know what to do!
    Continue the conversation here because you've spent absolutely no effort actually trying to keep this thread on topic, and are just now trying to tell people to make another thread so you can avoid the conversation?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Yeah Don't you know, Hypatia only prefers simple answers to complex subjects when she's the one giving the simplistic answers.
    What I presented are known facts.

However, if you want a serious exchange on the history of anti-Semitism within Christianity you know what to do!

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    That is, as is your wont, a sweeping generalisation. You would need to define what you understand by "Anti-Semitism" when applying that term to the ancient world. However, I doubt that will occur because i suspect you do not know enough about the subject.

I do so enjoy reading comments from men, who themselves know very little about particular topics, cautioning and correcting me on those topics.

Anti-Semitism has existed within the Christian world for nearly two millennia. The Nazi leaders came from [often deeply religious e.g. Austria] Christian countries. Furthermore there were plenty of anti-Semites and anti-Semitic political parties across Europe [and indeed the USA] who used the same tropes towards the Jews.

That is a fact that some people here seem to forget.
    Yeah Don't you know, Hypatia only prefers simple answers to complex subjects when she's the one giving the simplistic answers.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Anti-Semitism dates before the advent of Christianity.
    That is, as is your wont, a sweeping generalisation. You would need to define what you understand by "Anti-Semitism" when applying that term to the ancient world. However, I doubt that will occur because i suspect you do not know enough about the subject.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And a word of caution. Using terms like "The Nazis merely" while directly discussing what they did to the Jews, places you dangerously close to being a Nazi apologist
    I do so enjoy reading comments from men, who themselves know very little about particular topics, cautioning and correcting me on those topics.

That is a fact that some people here seem to forget.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Do you have a point to make?

Is that ALL Christian Germans without exception? And, please define "Christian German".
    Note the word "generally".

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Out of curiosity, why did you say "German speaking people" instead of "Germans"?
    Throughout history different German speaking states had often fought against one another. There was no Germany as we now understand it until early 1871 when the nation state was established under Wilhelm I.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Out of curiosity, why did you say "German speaking people" instead of "Germans"?
    Perhaps because for much of the time period in question, there was no Germany.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    From Orson Welles' film The Stranger, where he plays a Nazi in hiding in a small New England town. Edward G Robinson is a federal investigator trying to figure out whether or not Welles in the man he's looking for.

In the scene, at 3:55, he slips up and gives himself away by saying "Marx wasn't a German. Marx was a Jew."

ETA: I should add, Welles said he met Hitler at some early stage, a luncheon where they sat next to each other. He said Hitler was characterless in that social setting, and he only later remembered it was him after he rose to power.
    Last edited by Ronson; 12-04-2021, 07:16 PM.

Leave a comment: