Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The first comments about anti-Semitism in the ancient world begin around post #340. The first mention of "as we know it" occurs at post #386. With her initial claim seppa'd, H_A changed the parameters to "as we know it."
    Please don't fall into her trap of posting numbers

The quote function is so much better

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I don't think it is a trap but rather due to incompetence. Every time she has linked to a post that I've checked out it goes to the top of a page that doesn't include that post.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Tomorrow is Ham & Cheese Omelet day. With about six to seven sausage links (and a sausage patty or two if they're not dry), nine to ten slices of crispy bacon (more if no patties), a biscuit and gravy, some fish, a small blueberry muffin, two glasses of good OJ and a banana.
        Wasn't hungry yesterday morning so I went today.

Asked for a three egg omelet rather than two. Seven sausage links, two patties (they're good again), ten strips of bacon, biscuit and gravy, fish, the muffin, 2 glasses of OJ and banana.

Yeah. I'm stuffed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The minute you have someone on ignore, the numbers are useless anyway, I don't understand why this twit can't learn how to quote

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Please provide the exact quote from me where I have written that "there was no anti-Semitism in the ancient world".
            Search this thread for your posts. That's been your entire argument this entire time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The contention has been that anti-Semitism as we understand and define that term today, existed in the Graeco-Roman world. It didn't.
              It did. You simply have made up your own exclusionary definition for 'anti-Semitism as we understand and define it today', in order to blame Christians for anti-semitism, and as a result have basically defined Nazis as not anti-Semitic as well

Comment

At best, the claim that there was no anti-Semitism as we know it in the ancient world has no support. But that was not your original claim anyway. Your original claim was that there was no anti-Semitism in the ancient world. Moreover, your claim that Nazism drew on church anti-Semitism, which had religious aspects, doesn't float if your definitions are accepted. Nazi anti-Semitism had precious little religious basis, but it did reflect already cited attitudes of 1 century pagan writers.
                Not to mention the Nazis were also targeting other people like homosexuals, Gypsies, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc., which by her definition that she's used, means that they weren't anti-semitic because there were other groups being discriminated against and harmed as well, outside of just Jews. Which is the argument she's used to claim there wasn't Greco-Roman antisemitism even though anyone with eyes can see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

The minute you have someone on ignore, the numbers are useless anyway, I don't understand why this twit can't learn how to quote
                  Ah - wasn't aware of that.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Ah - wasn't aware of that.
                    Yep. One of the first times H_A did the 'go to post number x' to me, I did, and the post she was talking about wasn't there, so I experimented taking someone off ignore, and voila, a bunch of posts appeared that weren't in the numbering for me, shifting the numbers. She's been told this numerous times and still persists doing it.

Comment

Yep. One of the first times H_A did the 'go to post number x' to me, I did, and the post she was talking about wasn't there, so I experimented taking someone off ignore, and voila, a bunch of posts appeared that weren't in the numbering for me, shifting the numbers. She's been told this numerous times and still persists doing it.
                      Interesting. As a "department head" (mods with our names in green) I don't have anyone on ignore but every time I follow one of her post links it takes me to the top of a page where the post she referenced isn't on. Now my setting is for 30 posts per page but if it's supposed to go to a specific post that shouldn't matter.

Comment

Interesting. As a "department head" (mods with our names in green) I don't have anyone on ignore but every time I follow one of her post links it takes me to the top of a page where the post she referenced isn't on. Now my setting is for 30 posts per page but if it's supposed to go to a specific post that shouldn't matter.
                        Oh, I'm talking about when she just says to go to a numbered post. THe post links definitely have something wrong with them, other forums they work fine and take you directly to the linked post, something with this forum/software/settings screws those links up so they only work for the person who copied them.

I learned that early on here when I did the same and provided a post link and got frustrated when someone told me it wasn't going to the post even though it did when I clicked on it (pretty sure I insulted their intelligence upon them saying that ). I then investigated after a second poster said the same, and went to a different browser or signed out (forget which), and then experienced what the poster was telling me, with it not going to the post.
                        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 12-12-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Oh, I'm talking about when she just says to go to a numbered post. THe post links definitely have something wrong with them, other forums they work fine and take you directly to the linked post, something with this forum/software/settings screws those links up so they only work for the person who copied them.

I learned that early on here when I did the same and provided a post link and got frustrated when someone told me it wasn't going to the post even though it did when I clicked on it (pretty sure I insulted their intelligence upon them saying that ). I then investigated after a second poster said the same, and went to a different browser or signed out (forget which), and then experienced what the poster was telling me, with it not going to the post.
                          Huh. Do me a favor and tell me where this link takes you.

Comment

Huh. Do me a favor and tell me where this link takes you.
                            That one takes me to this post:
                            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Eww. Cooties! Get em' off me! Get 'em off! Now I need some of seer's homebrewed anti-cootie serum. I understand it's 120 proof.

Where does this one take you?
                            https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...04#post1330104

Comment

That one takes me to this post:

Where does this one take you?
                              https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...04#post1330104
                              That's it, and to:

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

They are interesting prohibitions.

The prohibition against graven images applies to "anything in heaven above, or on the earth beneath, or in the waters below," and yet the same book -- Exodus -- records the specifications for the Ark of the Covenant, including graven images of cherubim for the cover.

The prohibition against speaking YHWH is not found in Scripture. (I am skeptical there was a prohibition against writing it. If there were, it would not occur in Scripture, but it does.) I've always been a bit bemused by the fact that I AM was very explicit in revealing His name to Moses, and told Him,

“This is my name forever,
                              the name you shall call me
                              from generation to generation."

And yet at some point they became reverently afraid to actually "call" Him by that name. When they read the Scriptures and came to YHWH, rather than speak it, they spoke "Adonai."

Comment

That's it, and to:

Huh. So maybe it fixed itself whenever the last update happened.

EDIT: Yep, the thread I was talking about was back in January, where I did the exact same post link action and Cowpoke kept getting redirected to just a page and not the direct post, and I was quite sure he was having me on:
                                Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Already literally linked it to you, AT YOUR REQUEST, and you replied to the post with the link and completely ignored it. You're quite clearly at this point not an honest actor, and have no desire to actually read the answer to the question you asked.
                                Going back, just tried that link that I gave in that thread that wasn't redirecting cowpoke correctly, looks like it is working now whether I'm signed in or not.

So yeah, something must have gotten fixed with one of the forum software updates or something.
                                Last edited by Gondwanaland; 12-12-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment