Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Pointing out that present day anti-Semitism has its roots in early Christianity is not bigotry.
    Perhaps, perhaps not (I think it is, especially when you don't apply the same logic to the Nazis). But it IS historically inaccurate, and you've been soundly spanked on this countless times and don't care that you're telling porkies. Which is something a bigot doesn't care about, so that checks out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Well, there's that lady who was walking through the park one day in the very merry month of may.
      Wimmenfolk love us rogues smiley flirt2.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Post # 466
        Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
        So it was clear enough for you or no? Do you need me to be more explicit in why I won't jump through the hoops of a braindead twit that doesn't know what a Hellenistic scholar is, who has already been soundly spanked by myself and others on this very topic, who has refused to take any of that and adjust her braindead argument instead of brainlessly repeating it?
        Post # 496
        Perhaps, perhaps not (I think it is, especially when you don't apply the same logic to the Nazis). But it IS historically inaccurate, and you've been soundly spanked on this countless times and don't care that you're telling porkies. Which is something a bigot doesn't care about, so that checks out.
        Two comments within two pages that refer to spanking a women. Hmmm. You do seem to like making allusions to administering corporal punishment. Is there something you would like to share with us all?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Continuing to ignore the fact that anti-Semitism was around centuries before Christianity because it upsets your anti-Christian rant is, OTOH, most definitely bigotry.
          Not in the way we understand that term today. The Jews were one of various groups that, on occasion, suffered social opprobrium and sometimes violence. They were not deliberately singled out.

Nor was anti-Judaism institutionalised across societies in the Graeco-Roman world as it was by Christian societies.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Continuing to try to minimize the centuries of pagan anti-Semitism because it upsets your anti-Christian diatribe is, OTOH, most definitely bigotry
          So far not one of you has managed to produce an iota of evidence in support of your contentions.

Indeed when pressed to name the "actual historians" whom he alleged supported his own opinion Gondwanaland declined to respond.

A less charitable individual than myself might regard his refusal as a desperate attempt to save face because he knew he couldn't produce the names of any such historians.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Post # 466

Post # 496

Two comments within two pages that refer to spanking a women. Hmmm. You do seem to like making allusions to administering corporal punishment. Is there something you would like to share with us all?
            No, I like making allusions to how soundly your nonsense has been defeated. But it appears that turns you on.

Comment

Not in the way we understand that term today. The Jews were one of various groups that, on occasion, suffered social opprobrium and sometimes violence. They were not deliberately singled out.
              Anti-semitism existing doesn't require them to be 'singled out'. By that idiotic logic, even Nazi Germany was not anti-semitic because they exterminated homosexuals like yourself, Romani people, Jehova's Witnesses, mentally disabled people, blacks, and more, alongside the Jews, and therefore did not 'single out' Jews.

I'm unsure why you seem to believe that for anti-semitism to exist Jews somehow have to be the only people being discriminated against or oppressed and if some other group is, magically it is not anti-semitism.
              Indeed when pressed to name the "actual historians" whom he alleged supported his own opinion Gondwanaland declined to respond.
              Yes, I declined to leap through hoops set forth by a pretend historian who has already had her nonsense debunked, who doesn't know what a Hellenistic Scholar is.

Comment

Post # 466

Post # 496

Oh look. Joking Distraction Tactic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                  No, I like making allusions to how soundly your nonsense has been defeated. But it appears that turns you on.
                  It's interesting that you seem to consider I might get pleasure from your references to being physically abused. Isn't that often presented as the stereotypical plea of the abuser/rapist "She wanted it"?

However, I would note that your remarks about inflicting corporal punishment on others extend beyond your various comments about it to me. You have also referred to other contributors getting "spanked" in your replies to correspondents:.

This was to Oxmixxmud here: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum/social-studies/civics-101/1225149-armed-protest-are-planned-in-all-50-state-capitals-and-dc/page8#post1225881

I'm afraid you don't actually get to set such rules. Licona got spanked on that a while back.

This was to Ronson here: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e2#post1214659

Too true. Hilariously he got soundly spanked by a Mod later on in that thread where he tried to order you and me to stop posting on the thread when we dared to question his anonymous sources, and was told he cannot, in fact, kick people off the thread when they question something he brought up by posting.
                  My emphasis.

The unusual interest in inflicting corporal punishment was dealt with [alongside other conditions] by Krafff-Ebing in his work Psychopathia Sexualis.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                    Anti-semitism existing doesn't require them to be 'singled out'. By that idiotic logic, even Nazi Germany was not anti-semitic because they exterminated homosexuals like yourself, Romani people, Jehova's Witnesses, mentally disabled people, blacks, and more, alongside the Jews, and therefore did not 'single out' Jews.
                    Why have you suddenly leapt from the Graeco-Roman world to Nazi Germany? It is your allegations about the Graeco-Roman world that I am refuting [and I have provided comments from other academics who hold the same view as myself].

I'm unsure why you seem to believe that for anti-semitism to exist Jews somehow have to be the only people being discriminated against or oppressed and if some other group is, magically it is not anti-semitism.
                    It was not anti-Semitism in the modern understanding of the term, despite your repeated assertions to the contrary.

Yes, I declined to leap through hoops set forth by a pretend historian who has already had her nonsense debunked, who doesn't know what a Hellenistic Scholar is.
                    Your ridiculously peevish posturing is hilarious.

You seem to be labouring under the arrogant delusion that because you have claimed [without an iota of evidence] that something is a "fact" everyone else must accept it to be a fact

You have been asked to provide citations from those "actual historians" whom you allege share your opinion that anti-Semitism. as we now understand that term, was to be found within societies throughout the Graeco-Roman world and you have declined to do so.

The simple fact is that no such accredited historian would ever make such a claim. However, you cannot bring yourself to acknowledge that you have made foolish remarks.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It was not anti-Semitism in the modern understanding of the term, despite your repeated assertions to the contrary.

You have been asked to provide citations from those "actual historians" whom you allege share your opinion that anti-Semitism. as we now understand that term, was to be found within societies throughout the Graeco-Roman world and you have declined to do so.

The original argument never said "as we now understand that term."
                      However, it seems unlikely that even the "as we now understand that term" is accurate in any case.
                      Philip Schafer. Judeophobia (1998), 15
                      “ … the Egyptian and Greco-Roman tradition of the Exodus: the Jews were driven out of Egypt by force in a kind of “ethnic cleansing” because they were polluted lepers and/or unwelcome foreigners; it was after this explustion that they founded Jerusalem and became Jews in the full sense of the word.
                      This early example of counter-history proved to be one the most powerful anti-Jewish statements, not only in ancient history but until modern times. The legend can be traced back to the early third century BCE and reached its literary climax in the “grand synthesis” of anti-Jewish traditions written by Tacitus.”

Chapter Title: Tacitus and the Defamation of the Jews
                      Book Title: The Construct of Identity in Hellenistic Judaism
                      Book Subtitle: Essays on Early Jewish Literature and History
                      Book Author(s): Erich S. Gruen
                      Published by: De Gruyter
                      Stable URL: https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctvbkjxph.17

Among other remarks, Tacitus brands the Jews
                      as a race of men hated by the gods.³ They regard as profane everything that we
                      (Romans) hold as sacredand vice versa.Their practices are base and wicked,
                      and prevail through their own depravity.They are a people most especially inclined
                      to lust. Although they wont sleep with gentiles, among themselves there
                      is nothing they wont do (nihil inlicitum). Those who cross over to their ways
                      scorn the gods, abandon their own nation, and hold their parents, siblings,
                      and children cheap.Jewish rites are sordid and ridiculous.Jews throughout
                      their history were the most despised of subject peoples and the basest of
                      nations.

There doesn't seem to a whole lot of support for your contention; "as we now understand that term." Tacitus' comments are however reflected in the church attitudes that you reported.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It's interesting that you seem to consider I might get pleasure from your references to being physically abused. Isn't that often presented as the stereotypical plea of the abuser/rapist "She wanted it"?

However, I would note that your remarks about inflicting corporal punishment on others extend beyond your various comments about it to me. You have also referred to other contributors getting "spanked" in your replies to correspondents:.

This was to Oxmixxmud here: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum/social-studies/civics-101/1225149-armed-protest-are-planned-in-all-50-state-capitals-and-dc/page8#post1225881

My emphasis.

The unusual interest in inflicting corporal punishment was dealt with [alongside other conditions] by Krafff-Ebing in his work Psychopathia Sexualis.
                        You seem to have a preoccupation with spanking as some sort of sexual thing. This isn't the first time you have tried to make this connection and its always with such... enthusiasm.

IOW, please keep your personal peccadillos personal. Thanks in advance.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

My emphasis.

You seem to want to go down a flowery path. Your distraction tactic is noted.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            You seem to have a preoccupation with spanking as some sort of sexual thing. This isn't the first time you have tried to make this connection and its always with such... enthusiasm.

IOW, please keep your personal peccadillos personal. Thanks in advance.
                            You might ask Gondwanaland to desist from referring to spanking people. Although I suspect you won't.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

As far as I can deduce only one poster repeatedly references spanking other correspondents.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

flowerypath.jpg

Comment