Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Fair enough, rather you disproved the existence of such a "law of god".
    How so?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And Christians, and....
      Not the point, your claim - "My actions are exactly consistent with my beliefs..." tells us nothing about morality, only that you are consistent....
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You don't have a moral foundation, all you have is a preference. Other people have a different preference. That's the end of it. There's nowhere else for this debate to go for the atheist.

Now it is important that we remain clear in understanding the issue before us. The question is not: Must we believe in God in order to live moral lives? There is no reason to think that atheists and theists alike may not live what we normally characterize as good and decent lives. Similarly, the question is not: Can we formulate a system of ethics without reference to God? If the non-theist grants that human beings do have objective value, then there is no reason to think that he cannot work out a system of ethics with which the theist would also largely agree. Or again, the question is not: Can we recognize the existence of objective moral values without reference to God? The theist will typically maintain that a person need not believe in God in order to recognize, say, that we should love our children. Rather, as humanist philosopher Paul Kurtz puts it, “The central question about moral and ethical principles concerns this ontological foundation. If they are neither derived from God nor anchored in some transcendent ground, are they purely ephemeral?”

If there is no God, then any ground for regarding the herd morality evolved by homo sapiens as objectively true seems to have been removed. After all, what is so special about human beings? They are just accidental by-products of nature which have evolved relatively recently on an infinitesimal speck of dust lost somewhere in a hostile and mindless universe and which are doomed to perish individually and collectively in a relatively short time. Some action, say, incest, may not be biologically or socially advantageous and so in the course of human evolution has become taboo; but there is on the atheistic view nothing really wrong about committing incest. If, as Kurtz states, “The moral principles that govern our behavior are rooted in habit and custom, feeling and fashion,” then the non-conformist who chooses to flout the herd morality is doing nothing more serious than acting unfashionably.

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writ...od-without-god
        I do have a moral foundation. I don't need some deity up in the sky to tell me how to be moral. I, like most everyone on the planet, am capable of empathy, understanding how actions can harm others, etc.. we don't need a book to tell us that. Honestly it's the people that insist that the only way to be moral is to follow the zbible that scare me because that implies that if they lose their faith in said book or deity, they will go on mass raping, stealing, and killing sprees.

Now, I Know reasonably they won't because despite their words, they too are just as capable of moral thought, with or without their religious faith. But the way y'all try to hype it up makes it sound previsely like i described.

And if you want to just copypasta, well: https://www.atheistalliance.org/abou...theists-moral/

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Not the point, your claim - "My actions are exactly consistent with my beliefs..." tells us nothing about morality, only that you are consistent....
          And that's why it helps to read for contextual clues Instead of quotemining.

Comment

How so?
            Because you stated what was necessary should such a law of God exist. But reality does not match with your claims, thus no such law of God exists.

Comment

And that's why it helps to read for contextual clues Instead of quotemining.
              How does the context change what I said?

Er, yes I do. Just as you have ground to pick and choose from your Bible like you do.

My actions are exactly consistent with my beliefs. That you cannot concieve a moral structure outside of what your deity tells you, is your fault, not my own.
              How does any of that tell us what is moral or not?

Comment

Because you stated what was necessary should such a law of God exist. But reality does not match with your claims, thus no such law of God exists.
                You need to explain how reality does not match up.

Comment

How does the context change what I said?

How does any of that tell us what is moral or not?
                  Try reading what I replied to and using yer noggin and stip acting like H_A
                  Last edited by Gondwanaland; 12-01-2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

You need to explain how reality does not match up.
                    As there is no such law that is "universal and binding on all men", your necessary condition does not exist in reality and therefore you disproved your law of God assertion.

Comment

As there is no such law that is "universal and binding on all men", your necessary condition does not exist in reality and therefore you disproved your law of God assertion.
                      Of course it is binding. Because God deems it so. That does not mean that you will necessarily experience that authority in this moment, you will at the Judgement. Or that you will necessarily bow to the or recognize the law of God. We are sinners after all. The color red would exist even if all creatures were color blind.

Comment

Of course it is binding.
                        Except no such thing is detectable in reality.

Because God deems it so. That does not mean that you will necessarily experience that authority in this moment, you will at the Judgement. Or that you will necessarily bow to the or recognize the law of God. We are sinners after all. The color red would exist even if all creatures were color blind.
                        Again, nothing of the sort is evident in reality. Thats a nice fantasy, but nothing more than that, bo different than the fantasies of Muslims.

Comment

Try reading what I replied to and using yer noggin and stip acting like H_A
                          You were answering MM who said:

If you really believe that then you have no grounds for moral objection, and yet as one of the more conservative posters on this forum who regularly condemns immoral behavior, your actions are not consistent with your stated beliefs.
                          That is still a fact, nothing you said counters that.

Comment

You were answering MM who said:

That is still a fact, nothing you said counters that.
                            I can lead a horse to water, but if you're too dense to drink there's nothing that can be done.

Comment

Except no such thing is detectable in reality.
                              Do the laws against murder exist in reality?

gain, nothing of the sort is evident in reality. Thats a nice fantasy, but nothing more than that, bo different than the fantasies of Muslims.
                              Does not change the fact that the law of God would be both binding and universal.

Comment

I can lead a horse to water, but if you're too dense to drink there's nothing that can be done.
                                Way to avoid an answer....

Comment