Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It is an idiom for beating the opposition but it is an idiom Gondwanaland uses a great deal. I find it rather disconcerting to refer to applying corporal punishment to one's opponents. Perhaps le vice anglais should be renamed le vice américain!

H_A-dude.gif

And aren't you the same person always saying that you're not a mind reader and can't presume what anyone else means when they say something? That looks like just another dodge on your part given how you have no trouble presuming what he meant by spanking (and pretty much doubling down in the defense of that particular meaning).

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    I am applying your logic, that you are using for the Graeco-Roman world to deny anti-semitism,
    I have refuted your allegation [along with those chimerical "actual historians" of whom you have written] that anti-Semitism, as we now understand that term existed, in the Graeco-Roman world.

I have never disputed that prejudicial attitudes existed towards the Jews that sometimes resulted in violence. However, that is not the same thing as our modern concept of anti-Semitism. The Jews were not singled out solely for their religious beliefs and practises.

I don't have to hop through the hoops of a person who falsely claims to be a historian yet does not know the history of anti-semitism
    Gondwanaland your claims that the Graeco-Roman world exhibited anti-Semitism as we now understand and define that term, are totally baseless as I have painstakingly endeavoured to explain to you.

However, once again your autocratic attitude that your [entirely unsupported] pronouncements must be accepted de fide because they have been handed down ex cathedra by you is duly noted.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

Because it is a term that means someone or something has been soundly defeated.
    Yes, a relatively common phrase in American English. I've heard it used in that manner for probably 15-20 years now.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

It is an idiom for beating the opposition but it is an idiom Gondwanaland uses a great deal. I find it rather disconcerting to refer to applying corporal punishment to one's opponents. Perhaps le vice anglais should be renamed le vice américain!
    Why are you using such a violent phrase?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Because you are feeding the troll. You are playing her game. It's that old saying: Never Wrestle with a Pig. You Both Get Dirty and the Pig Likes It
    Reminds me -- "never try to teach a pig to sing - it's a waste of your time and it annoys the pig".

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Dude, this entire thread is a derailment, I really don't care. She isn't going to accept the correction anyway, so why should I bother?
    Because you are feeding the troll. You are playing her game. It's that old saying: Never Wrestle with a Pig. You Both Get Dirty and the Pig Likes It

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

There is no requirement institutionalization, you dimwitted doorknob. And this sort of quotemining is exactly why I don't entertain your hoops.
    I am still waiting for you to produce those elusive "actual historians" who allegedly support your own claims.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

The idiom doesn't suggest violence. Your own proclivities assume it
    To spank is to hit. It is physical assault.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

Freud is a joke.
    As have been your ludicrous, unsupported, pre-digested, and uninformed pronouncements on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

You seem to be the only one taking it to mean violence let alone sexual connotations.
    You are the one that keeps using a term suggesting physical assault. Not me.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

You are the only one here taking it as violence and having sexual connotations. I suggest a shrink.
    Yet it is refers to physical assault and violence. You also employ the term quite a lot which hints that there maybe something much deeper in your psyche.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Congratulations. You are falling for her derailment.
    Dude, this entire thread is a derailment, I really don't care. She isn't going to accept the correction anyway, so why should I bother?

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Why an idiom suggesting violence?
    The idiom doesn't suggest violence. Your own proclivities assume it

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

You are the only one here taking it as violence and having sexual connotations. I suggest a shrink.
    Congratulations. You are falling for her derailment.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

You seem to be the only one taking it to mean violence let alone sexual connotations.
    If she saw guys patting each other on the butt in a football game, she'd probably assume it was a homosexual team.

Leave a comment: