Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

With spanking being an idiom. You, and only you, are trying to presume what is going on in my subconscious, and tried to imply violence and sexual connotations to my simple use of the idiom which implies neither. You're a hypocritical little troll with no life.
    Defensive and angry.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I know that the verb to spank means to apply corporal punishment and I know [from his various posts] that Gondwanaland [who identifies as male] likes to refer to either himself [or others] spanking me [a woman].
    You wish.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    I know that the verb to spank means to apply corporal punishment and I know [from his various posts] that Gondwanaland [who identifies as male] likes to refer to either himself [or others] spanking me [a woman].

None of us [including Gondwanaland] can ascertain what is going on in his unconscious. However, the repeated use of certain language [particularly to a female correspondent] may unwittingly reveal certain attitudes.
    Using your twisted logic then all those sportscasters over the years who were constantly looking for different ways to say defeated when they read out various scores and thus said "spank" to describe one team of men beating (oops) another team of men, it therefore must be a homoerotic reference.

When used in the context of a debate or verbal dispute, the usage would naturally be the one signaling someone being defeated soundly.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I couldn't care less. The entire thread was started started based on stupidity, so why should I give a flying fart On what even more stupid do you really make or stupid derailments she decides to engage in period
    It's more don't give her what she wants.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

None of us [including Gondwanaland] can ascertain what is going on in his unconscious. However, the repeated use of certain language [particularly to a female correspondent] may unwittingly reveal certain attitudes.
    With spanking being an idiom. You, and only you, are trying to presume what is going on in my subconscious, and tried to imply violence and sexual connotations to my simple use of the idiom which implies neither. You're a hypocritical little troll with no life.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    I have refuted your allegation [along with those chimerical "actual historians" of whom you have written] that anti-Semitism, as we now understand that term existed, in the Graeco-Roman world.
    no, you haven't. All you've done is bleat an absurdl strawman.

I have never disputed that prejudicial attitudes existed towards the Jews that sometimes resulted in violence. However, that is not the same thing as our modern concept of anti-Semitism. The Jews were not singled out solely for their religious beliefs and practises.
    they don't need to have been for it to be antisemitism. Again by your logic the Nazis did not employ antisemitism.
    Gondwanaland your claims that the Graeco-Roman world exhibited anti-Semitism as we now understand and define that term, are totally baseless as I have painstakingly endeavoured to explain to you.
    There you go again adding your strawman to my original statement. You're an insanely dishonest interlocutor
    However, once again your autocratic attitude that your [entirely unsupported] pronouncements must be accepted de fide because they have been handed down ex cathedra by you is duly noted.
    Blah blah blah from the fake historian wanting to think she's intelligent.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Because you are feeding the troll. You are playing her game. It's that old saying: Never Wrestle with a Pig. You Both Get Dirty and the Pig Likes It
    I couldn't care less. The entire thread was started started based on stupidity, so why should I give a flying fart On what even more stupid do you really make or stupid derailments she decides to engage in period

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

I am still waiting for you to produce those elusive "actual historians" who allegedly support your own claims.
    You can wait till the oxygen has left your body for the last time, dear. I LITERALLY just stated that the sort of quotemining garbage you do is one of many reasons why I won't leap through your hoops.
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 12-09-2021, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

To spank is to hit. It is physical assault.
    Not in the idiom.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

As have been your ludicrous, unsupported, pre-digested, and uninformed pronouncements on this thread.
    says the fake historian that doesn't know what a hellenistic scholar is.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    So when I say I got a brand spanking new dish washer it means that it was a struck several times?

Or if someone says that they're spanking along in their car, it means that they're repeatedly striking it?
    Neither of those examples of usage refer to defeating another person in an argument or another team in sport. In that context the term has an underlying connotation of violence.

And I repeat that the term with its underlying connotation of violence has been used on several occasions by a contributor who identifies as male towards myself [a woman]. At the very least in that context it carries a tacit acceptance of physical abuse against women.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

And aren't you the same person always saying that you're not a mind reader and can't presume what anyone else means when they say something? That looks like just another dodge on your part given how you have no trouble presuming what he meant by spanking (and pretty much doubling down in the defense of that particular meaning).

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    This is yet another example of a crazy old German woman who doesn't have the ability to comprehend the fact that language (communication) is more than what is written in a book.

She's nuttier than a fruitcake.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    Dictionary
    Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

spank·ing
    /ˈspaNGkiNG/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    1. 1.
      (especially of a horse or its gait) lively; brisk.
      "a spanking trot"
    2. 2.
      INFORMAL
      very good.
      "we had a spanking time"
    3. an act of slapping, especially on the buttocks as a punishment for children.
      "you deserve a good spanking"

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

To spank is to hit. It is physical assault.
    So when I say I got a brand spanking new dish washer it means that it was a struck several times?

Or if someone says that they're spanking along in their car, it means that they're repeatedly striking it?

There's another usage involving simians that is crude slang for something that has nothing to do with hitting anything but am not going to explain here.

The point is that "spanking" can and does have multiple meanings but you fixate on to one and even refuse to consider any others. Even in the sports metaphor nobody is actually struck but simply defeated easily.

Leave a comment: