Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Depends on the situation. That tends to work when they care about their discussion. For example if you do this in one of her anti-christian or anti-america posts, you'll frustrate her.

Here though, it's obvious that she went down this road as a troll. She was deliberately shifting the subject from centering on where she was wrong and how, to a discussion about Gond's comment, which she doesn't really care about. She wins by you merely engaging in that subject instead of staying focused on the original discussion. Throwing her own tactics at her here, don't matter, because she doesn't care about the subject, it was just a way to shift the discussion from where it was.

It worked, you guys fell into the trap and have been played like a fiddle.
    I really don't care if they care. I just like beating folks at their own game using their rules. More of a challenge that way.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I have a thing about beating folks at their own game using their own rules.

Oops. Did I say "beating"?
    Depends on the situation. That tends to work when they care about their discussion. For example if you do this in one of her anti-christian or anti-america posts, you'll frustrate her.

Here though, it's obvious that she went down this road as a troll. She was deliberately shifting the subject from centering on where she was wrong and how, to a discussion about Gond's comment, which she doesn't really care about. She wins by you merely engaging in that subject instead of staying focused on the original discussion. Throwing her own tactics at her here, don't matter, because she doesn't care about the subject, it was just a way to shift the discussion from where it was.

It worked, you guys fell into the trap and have been played like a fiddle.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Oh dear. It was supposed to be a passenger pigeon. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    Well there's your problem right there. Passenger pigeons are extinct. Now if you only had tried for a Carrier pigeon it might have worked.

Only roguetech boffins have the Magechanical and Biotransmutation chops to pull that sort of thing off.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    I did but someone turned it into a newt!
    Oh dear. It was supposed to be a passenger pigeon. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Hellfire!!!

But first we need to prove that they are witches! Anyone have a duck?
    I did but someone turned it into a newt!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Hellfire!!!

duck.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, what fire is it into which we would throw these as yet unidentified books?
    Hellfire!!!

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    no, you haven't. All you've done is bleat an absurdl strawman.
    You have never provided any accredited historical evidence to support of your contention that within the Graeco-Roman world anti-Semitism,as we now understand that term, existed. Your repeated refusal and feeble excuses exemplify that fact.

Had you such evidence you would have produced it with alacrity.

they don't need to have been for it to be antisemitism.
    It does not to conform to modern understanding of that term.

No one is disputing there were anti-Judaic sentiments and animosity that on occasion led to violence. However, In Rome there were also anti-Egyptian sentiments [given the events with Cleopatra] and some anti-Greek feeling against bearded men and their philosophy leading young men astray. It is possible there were distinct anti-Germanic sentiments after the events of 9 CE However, none of this was institutionalised and no group was deliberately targeted for its religion and religious practises.

Again by your logic the Nazis did not employ antisemitism.
    As anti-Semitism as we now understand the term was institutionalised by the Nazis via the Nurnberg Laws you are [once again] writing nonsense.

There you go again adding your strawman to my original statement.
    You have dug yourself in to your own metaphorical hole in these exchanges.

I asked you a carefully worded question.

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum/social-studies/civics-101/1329148-i-think-we-should-throw-those-books-in-a-fire/page31#post1332642

Post # 456
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    That is not what I asked.

Let me repeat my question.

So, according to you anti-Semitism as we now understand that term, was to be found within societies throughout the Graeco-Roman world?

Have I understood you correctly?

You replied at post # 458

Leaving out the 'according to you' (because it's not according to me it's according to actual historians, of which you are not). then Correct, anti-semitism existed and was acted on before Christianity existed, including in the Graeco-Roman world

Like? This isn't even controversial. It's not some sort of new information. Any historian worth their salt knows this.

But then I guess that's the problem. I'm talking to a person who claims to be a historian but is not. A person who thought that: 1. being born in the US makes it impossible for one to be Hellenistic, and 2. that using the term "Hellenistic Scholar" somehow means you are claiming the scholar is Hellenistic rather than the common use of the term to mean they are an expert in Hellenistic scholarship.
    My emphasis.

Your reply in that opening paragraph confirmed your acknowledgement of my question to you. You continued that it was not simply according to you but “it’s according to actual historians”. You even used the word “Correct”.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    So, what fire is it into which we would throw these as yet unidentified books?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    My comment had nothing to do with what might be going on in his mind but was premised on the content and tone of his prose which was defensive and angry
    So you looked at things like context and tone in an attempt to determine what was meant.

Perhaps you can start doing this from now on rather than insisting on playing your insipid little games.

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    And you are playing mind reader -- something you like to accuse others of.

The hypocrisy never stops.
    My comment had nothing to do with what might be going on in his mind but was premised on the content and tone of his prose which was defensive and angry

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

She's playing a tune, and you guys keep dancing to it.

I have a thing about beating folks at their own game using their own rules.

Oops. Did I say "beating"?

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

She's playing a tune, and you guys keep dancing to it.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Defensive and angry.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Using your twisted logic then all those sportscasters over the years who were constantly looking for different ways to say defeated when they read out various scores and thus said "spank" to describe one team of men beating (oops) another team of men, it therefore must be a homoerotic reference.

When used in the context of a debate or verbal dispute, the usage would naturally be the one signaling someone being defeated soundly.
    There is no twisted logic - as I previously noted none of us know what is going on in Gondwanaland's subconscious - not even him.

As for your sporting reference - again it is a term denoting violence - similar violent and aggressive terms referencing physical assault are likewise used for sporting victories "thrashed", "beaten", "smashed", annihilated.

As for your comment on homo-eroticism, once again culturally conditioned boundaries and accepted societal behaviour may mask all sorts of underlying emotions and propensities.

The particular cultural notion of healthy masculinity [i.e. the athletic and well toned male body] is also used as a gay icon and many gay men have incredibly well honed physiques. As the Danish sociologist Henning Bech mentions in his 1997 book When Men Meet: Homosexuality and Modernity why do men visit public gyms and use all those machines? If the desire is simply to keep their bodies supple, healthy, and avoid muscle ache they could just as easily do yoga, callisthenics, or join a dance class. He comments on the communal aspect of such places where men sweat and groan together as they work on their "decision to be a man" and their efforts in "modelling oneself as a man".

Furthermore homosociality, particularly among men, has been recognised as an important feature for male team sports and the military and it helps in developing male bonding. The Spartans knew that.

Leave a comment: