Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I think we should throw those books in a fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And you are playing mind reader -- something you like to accuse others of.

The hypocrisy never stops.
    She's playing a tune, and you guys keep dancing to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

She's playing a tune, and you guys keep dancing to it.

I have a thing about beating folks at their own game using their own rules.

Oops. Did I say "beating"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And you are playing mind reader -- something you like to accuse others of.

The hypocrisy never stops.
        My comment had nothing to do with what might be going on in his mind but was premised on the content and tone of his prose which was defensive and angry
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          My comment had nothing to do with what might be going on in his mind but was premised on the content and tone of his prose which was defensive and angry
          So you looked at things like context and tone in an attempt to determine what was meant.

Perhaps you can start doing this from now on rather than insisting on playing your insipid little games.

Just a thought.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• So, what fire is it into which we would throw these as yet unidentified books?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              no, you haven't. All you've done is bleat an absurdl strawman.
              You have never provided any accredited historical evidence to support of your contention that within the Graeco-Roman world anti-Semitism,as we now understand that term, existed. Your repeated refusal and feeble excuses exemplify that fact.

Had you such evidence you would have produced it with alacrity.

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              they don't need to have been for it to be antisemitism.
              It does not to conform to modern understanding of that term.

No one is disputing there were anti-Judaic sentiments and animosity that on occasion led to violence. However, In Rome there were also anti-Egyptian sentiments [given the events with Cleopatra] and some anti-Greek feeling against bearded men and their philosophy leading young men astray. It is possible there were distinct anti-Germanic sentiments after the events of 9 CE However, none of this was institutionalised and no group was deliberately targeted for its religion and religious practises.

Again by your logic the Nazis did not employ antisemitism.
              As anti-Semitism as we now understand the term was institutionalised by the Nazis via the Nurnberg Laws you are [once again] writing nonsense.

There you go again adding your strawman to my original statement.
              You have dug yourself in to your own metaphorical hole in these exchanges.

I asked you a carefully worded question.

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum/social-studies/civics-101/1329148-i-think-we-should-throw-those-books-in-a-fire/page31#post1332642

Post # 456
              Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
              That is not what I asked.

Let me repeat my question.

So, according to you anti-Semitism as we now understand that term, was to be found within societies throughout the Graeco-Roman world?

Have I understood you correctly?

You replied at post # 458

Leaving out the 'according to you' (because it's not according to me it's according to actual historians, of which you are not). then Correct, anti-semitism existed and was acted on before Christianity existed, including in the Graeco-Roman world

Like? This isn't even controversial. It's not some sort of new information. Any historian worth their salt knows this.

But then I guess that's the problem. I'm talking to a person who claims to be a historian but is not. A person who thought that: 1. being born in the US makes it impossible for one to be Hellenistic, and 2. that using the term "Hellenistic Scholar" somehow means you are claiming the scholar is Hellenistic rather than the common use of the term to mean they are an expert in Hellenistic scholarship.
              My emphasis.

Your reply in that opening paragraph confirmed your acknowledgement of my question to you. You continued that it was not simply according to you but “it’s according to actual historians”. You even used the word “Correct”.

"It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, what fire is it into which we would throw these as yet unidentified books?
                Hellfire!!!

But first we need to prove that they are witches! Anyone have a duck?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Hellfire!!!

duck.jpg
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Hellfire!!!

I did but someone turned it into a newt!

Comment

I did but someone turned it into a newt!
                      Oh dear. It was supposed to be a passenger pigeon. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Oh dear. It was supposed to be a passenger pigeon. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
                        Well there's your problem right there. Passenger pigeons are extinct. Now if you only had tried for a Carrier pigeon it might have worked.

Only roguetech boffins have the Magechanical and Biotransmutation chops to pull that sort of thing off.

Comment

I have a thing about beating folks at their own game using their own rules.

Oops. Did I say "beating"?
                          Depends on the situation. That tends to work when they care about their discussion. For example if you do this in one of her anti-christian or anti-america posts, you'll frustrate her.

Here though, it's obvious that she went down this road as a troll. She was deliberately shifting the subject from centering on where she was wrong and how, to a discussion about Gond's comment, which she doesn't really care about. She wins by you merely engaging in that subject instead of staying focused on the original discussion. Throwing her own tactics at her here, don't matter, because she doesn't care about the subject, it was just a way to shift the discussion from where it was.

It worked, you guys fell into the trap and have been played like a fiddle.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Depends on the situation. That tends to work when they care about their discussion. For example if you do this in one of her anti-christian or anti-america posts, you'll frustrate her.

Here though, it's obvious that she went down this road as a troll. She was deliberately shifting the subject from centering on where she was wrong and how, to a discussion about Gond's comment, which she doesn't really care about. She wins by you merely engaging in that subject instead of staying focused on the original discussion. Throwing her own tactics at her here, don't matter, because she doesn't care about the subject, it was just a way to shift the discussion from where it was.

It worked, you guys fell into the trap and have been played like a fiddle.
                            I really don't care if they care. I just like beating folks at their own game using their rules. More of a challenge that way.

Comment

I really don't care if they care. I just like beating folks at their own game using their rules. More of a challenge that way.
                              BEATING FOLKS? Are you actually advocating VIOLENCE?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

BEATING FOLKS? Are you actually advocating VIOLENCE?
                                He probably meant "beating yolks" and was trying to give a recipe for scrambled eggs.

Comment