Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Old Joe restricts travel to some countries because of Covid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    so Omicron is the kinder, gentler COVID?
    If that is indeed the case it would be good news.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

When Delta came out, I don't recall travel restrictions. When Omicron appeared, air flights shut down and Israel, at last report I saw, has closed its borders.

So: do the governments know something about Omicron that we don't or are they overreacting to Omicron because they feel they underreacted to Delta?
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        When Delta came out, I don't recall travel restrictions. When Omicron appeared, air flights shut down and Israel, at last report I saw, has closed its borders.

So: do the governments know something about Omicron that we don't or are they overreacting to Omicron because they feel they underreacted to Delta?
        Weren't there a few variants between Delta an Omicron?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Weren't there a few variants between Delta an Omicron?
          I seem to remember some. I think they ended up not spreading as easily as Delta and Omicron do.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I seem to remember some. I think they ended up not spreading as easily as Delta and Omicron do.
            And the authorities didn't react like they are to Omicron when they first emerged and how easily they spread was effectively speculation.

Comment

Some concerning news: Hospitalizations have spiked in that particular South African provinces, and only there:

(Link didn't save and my computer is currently dead, sorry)
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-say...045950706.html

Fauci says Biden travel ban on African countries should be rolled back 'as quickly as possible'

On the latest episode of Spotify's "Science Vs." podcast, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, talked with host Wendy Zukerman about his views on the Biden administration's recent travel ban, which he said should be rolled back.

The US began to restrict travel from eight countries in southern Africa on Monday because of the new Omicron coronavirus variant, which was labeled as a "variant of concern" by the World Health Organization after its detection by South African scientists on November 11.

However, the location of its initial detection does not necessarily indicate that the variant originated in South Africa. The country already had a robust surveillance system in place for tracking viral diseases and genetic mutations like HIV, Ebola, and tuberculosis, which put it in a strong position to monitor variants of COVID-19.

"When we first saw and heard about what was going on in South Africa, we really were blind. We had no idea what was going to happen. And one of the things we wanted to do, which was understandable, was to best as possible protect the American public," Fauci told Zukerman.

While Omicron's origins remain unknown, cases have been found in several countries, including the UK, US, Netherlands, and Belgium.

"We did not know it was in other countries at the time of the ban. It looked like it was just in South Africa," Fauci said. "But right now, you're right, it is out there, so it's going to spread no matter what. So that's the reason why I would feel that, hopefully, we can pull back on that ban as quickly as possible."

Still, Fauci maintained that if a ban had not been instituted, people would have been upset and "crucified" the administration for its inaction.

Comment