Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It seems the old adage is true...money cannot guarantee happiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Whenever the topic of wealth comes up, I think of the late singer/songwriter Rich Mullins who had the right idea. At the height of his career, he was earning millions a year, but he instructed his accountant to pay him an average middle class salary and donate all the rest to charity.
    Really, millions in CCM? That seems a bit on the high side to me, but I don't really have a grasp on what CCM stars earn.
    We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

Really, millions in CCM? That seems a bit on the high side to me, but I don't really have a grasp on what CCM stars earn.
      Songwriting is where the money is at in the music industry, and Mullins wrote a number of very popular songs that were performed by multiple artists. Those royalties add up.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Songwriting is where the money is at in the music industry, and Mullins wrote a number of very popular songs that were performed by multiple artists. Those royalties add up.
        I didn't realize the market that large.
        We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Whenever the topic of wealth comes up, I think of the late singer/songwriter Rich Mullins who had the right idea. At the height of his career, he was earning millions a year, but he instructed his accountant to pay him an average middle class salary and donate all the rest to charity.
          I have no idea who Rich Mullins might be but again, someone doing something to help others, rather as the person mentioned by Cow Poke.

One wonders why some of the more recognisable billionaires do so little. Bezos allegedly commented after he returned from his "joy ride" in his rocket that seeing the earth from a distance made him realise how vulnerable it was. One can only opine why he did not use the money he spent on that little trip to do something for the planet. Ditto Musk and Branson. Between them [plus a few others] just think what they could do for the planet and its inhabitants.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            I have no idea who Rich Mullins might be...
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Mullins

One wonders why some of the more recognisable billionaires do so little. Bezos allegedly commented after he returned from his "joy ride" in his rocket that seeing the earth from a distance made him realise how vulnerable it was. One can only opine why he did not use the money he spent on that little trip to do something for the planet. Ditto Musk and Branson. Between them [plus a few others] just think what they could do for the planet and its inhabitants.
            They're not Christians, so the fact that they feel no obligation to help anybody but themselves is hardly surprising.
            Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-29-2021, 06:23 AM.

Comment

They're not Christians, so the fact that they feel no obligation to help anybody but themselves is hardly surprising.
              The problem is many of them do donate:

https://apnews.com/article/amazoncom...2fc003004702b0

Comment

I have no idea who Rich Mullins might be but again, someone doing something to help others, rather as the person mentioned by Cow Poke.

Gates and his wife have contributed something like $50,000,000,000 (that's $50 Billion) to various causes.

There's a thread about some U.N. clown whining about how the money spent on billionaires going into space could have been spent curing world hunger and Musk's response. Something coveters should check out. UN Official Calls On Billionaires To Give $6Bil To End Starvation; Musk Calls Bluff. Needless to say its been as quiet as church mice from the UN since then.

One of the best pieces of advice my father ever gave me was not to worry about what's in other people's pockets. The only pockets that you need to be concerned about are your own. It makes for a far less stressful life.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There seem to be plenty of those who call themselves Christians who revel in the millionaire [if not billionaire] lifestyle.

Thank you for the Wiki link. He died tragically young. If only he'd had been wearing his seat belt, he might have survived. Ironically his death was only a matter of weeks after that of Dodi Fayed and Diana Princess of Wales. They were not wearing their seat belts either.
                  Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 11-29-2021, 06:52 AM.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Flipping another link back on itself I suppose one might suggest Mr Bezos also lays out his proposed spending for the Bezos Earth Fund in detail in order to ascertain where the money is going to be spent.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Flipping another link back on itself I suppose one might suggest Mr Bezos also lays out his proposed spending for the Bezos Earth Fund in detail in order to ascertain where the money is going to be spent.
                      One might suggest that, but I don't see how that's relevant to the fact that he does, in fact, donate a lot of money to charity.

Comment

One might suggest that, but I don't see how that's relevant to the fact that he does, in fact, donate a lot of money to charity.
                        The issue appears to be as it often is that he's donating the money -- which means he decides on how much and to who. Leftists don't like that. They want to be in charge of spending other people's money because they obviously know better how to use it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Her question is why don't they do more, and it's because they have no compelling reason to do any more than is required to satisfy their conscience (and their tax write off).

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The issue appears to be as it often is that he's donating the money -- which means he decides on how much and to who. Leftists don't like that. They want to be in charge of spending other people's money because they obviously know better how to use it.
                            I think you hit the nail on the head right here.

Comment