Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It seems the old adage is true...money cannot guarantee happiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The very same point I made to Mountain Man on page 1.

However, the destructive aspect that may result from extreme wealth is highlighted in the article, particularly for the children of of the wealthy.

As Cockrell notes, the individual may have made come from quite ordinary origins and made their wealth through their own endeavours. For those born into that sort of money and who have never had to struggle or work for anything they may "start out by going to elite boarding schools and move on to elite universities – developing a language and culture among their own kind. Rarely do they create friendships with non-wealthy people; this can lead to feelings of isolation and being trapped inside a very small bubble" furthermore for such people an understanding of life for the rest of the world is often missing.

Then there is the question of trust friendship, again as Cockrell notes the very rich are often suspicious of new people "I hear this from my clients all the time: “What do they want from me?”; or “How are they going to manipulate me?”; or “They are probably only friends with me because of my money.”

The personal life of Barbara Woolworth Hutton is just one such example of these problems; a tragic childhood followed by a miserable and dysfunctional adult life.
    But not all. And, tragic childhoods followed by a miserable and dysfunctional adult life spans all income brackets.

Congratulations you found out that people can be rich and miserable, just like people can be poor and miserable. For your next trick, you'll show us water can be wet, and tall people's heads are often farther from the ground than short people's.

Comment

The very same point I made to Mountain Man on page 1.

However, the destructive aspect that may result from extreme wealth is highlighted in the article, particularly for the children of of the wealthy.

As Cockrell notes, the individual may have made come from quite ordinary origins and made their wealth through their own endeavours. For those born into that sort of money and who have never had to struggle or work for anything they may "start out by going to elite boarding schools and move on to elite universities – developing a language and culture among their own kind. Rarely do they create friendships with non-wealthy people; this can lead to feelings of isolation and being trapped inside a very small bubble" furthermore for such people an understanding of life for the rest of the world is often missing.

Then there is the question of trust friendship, again as Cockrell notes the very rich are often suspicious of new people "I hear this from my clients all the time: “What do they want from me?”; or “How are they going to manipulate me?”; or “They are probably only friends with me because of my money.”

The personal life of Barbara Woolworth Hutton is just one such example of these problems; a tragic childhood followed by a miserable and dysfunctional adult life.
      Elites have been complaining about the nouveau rich for longer than any of us have been around.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

But not all. And, tragic childhoods followed by a miserable and dysfunctional adult life spans all income brackets.

Congratulations you found out that people can be rich and miserable, just like people can be poor and miserable. For your next trick, you'll show us water can be wet, and tall people's heads are often farther from the ground than short people's.
        But can she determine in which direction the sun will "set" this evening?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As I commented on that possibility on page one you really need to keep up.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

So, I'm not sure what the point of this "water is wet" thread.

Comment

Than what is your point for starting this thread?

*ANNOUNCEMENT* *ANNOUNCEMENT* Rich people can be miserable too.

There. Can we close this thread now?

Comment

So, I'm not sure what the point of this "water is wet" thread.
                That when she complains about others making overgeneralized statements, she can too?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yet more generalisations. Water is wet only when it is liquid, not when it is solid. And tall people sometimes stand on their heads on the ground. And what about a tall person who is in a hole?
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Yet more generalisations. Water is wet only when it is liquid, not when it is solid. And tall people sometimes stand on their heads on the ground. And what about a tall person who is in a hole?
                    Rub your dry warm hand over a block of ice. Not only will it come back cold it'll also be wet. Go figure.
                    Yes. I know about "dry ice"

Comment

Notice I said "Can be wet" and "often farther from the ground"

Comment

Loopholes, my boy, loopholes!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Loopholes, my boy, loopholes!
                          best-kind-of-correct.gif

Comment

You need to express such matters more clearly, and my failure to notice your caveats is your fault anyway, but I see that CP has already addressed this issue.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Rub your dry warm hand over a block of ice. Not only will it come back cold it'll also be wet. Go figure.
                            Yes. I know about "dry ice"
                            That is only because some of the ice melts.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You need to express such matters more clearly, and my failure to notice your caveats is your fault anyway, but I see that CP has already addressed this issue.

That is only because some of the ice melts.
                              Said poster once told me I had to put a qualifier at the beginning of every paragraph that something was my opinion. Stating at the top of the post that it was my opinion wasn't good enough.

Comment

Whenever the topic of wealth comes up, I think of the late singer/songwriter Rich Mullins who had the right idea. At the height of his career, he was earning millions a year, but he instructed his accountant to pay him an average middle class salary and donate all the rest to charity.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment