Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

People who haven't experienced <X> can't force their opinions on others WRT to <X>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'll let tab explain what he meant but Greek mothers are said to have told their sons headed off to war to return either carrying their shield or carried on their shield (dead) or not all (shields are heavy and someone retreating or running from battle tend to drop it). Of course, on the other side there's the play Lysistrata. While fictional if there wasn't opposition to war from women it would make no sense.
    History is replete with examples of what women will do to men who refuse to go to war, and there is a comment made sometime in the 1970's that I remember: "Babies drink the poison of hatred with their mothers' milk."

And as to Aphrodite strikes - it remains that women were punishing men for doing what they chose with their own bodies.

Amazing what narratives can be produced by looking at things through a sexist lens, isn't it?
    Last edited by tabibito; 11-24-2021, 09:59 AM.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      History is replete with examples of what women will do to men who refuse to go to war
      Cowards don't attract many girls. And there are stories from WWI and WWII from men who enlisted solely to attract women.

This 1917 painting from Norman Rockwell captures those attitudes.
      lf.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

By the way at your age you will never become pregnant either, .
        Having three sons I think I know something about being pregnant!
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I'll let tab explain what he meant but Greek mothers are said to have told their sons headed off to war to return either carrying their shield or carried on their shield (dead) or not all (shields are heavy and someone retreating or running from battle tend to drop it).
          That was the attitude in ancient Sparta, according to Plutarch.

Of course, on the other side there's the play Lysistrata. While fictional if there wasn't opposition to war from women it would make no sense.
          Aristophanes was an Athenian.

And do not forget the Peloponnesian War.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Cowards don't attract many girls. And there are stories from WWI and WWII from men who enlisted solely to attract women.

This 1917 painting from Norman Rockwell captures those attitudes.
            lf.jpg
            That depends on what is defined as a "coward".

There also stories of men not in uniform being given white feathers for "cowardice". I recall reading an anecdote by a British merchant seaman receiving such treatment from some women in Liverpool - he had been twice shipwrecked following convoy attacks by U-boats.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That depends on what is defined as a "coward".

There also stories of men not in uniform being given white feathers for "cowardice". I recall reading an anecdote by a British merchant seaman receiving such treatment from some women in Liverpool - he had been twice shipwrecked following convoy attacks by U-boats.
              Back during WWII especially, those men who avoided the draft were usually looked down on and considered cowards. This was the era that women loved a man in uniform. While that Rockwell painting is from 1917, the image captures the attitude perfectly.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

IMO, As far as abortion goes, the "men can't make decisions on it" is the wrong focus. Is a fetus a person or not. If the answer is "yes", then HA's argument goes out the window. Everybody has a say when lives are being lost. If the answer is "no", then HA is right. In fact, no one else should have a say in what anyone does with their body (unless the person is mentally deficient and seeks to maim themselves, like Body Integrity Disorder).

So, this argument is diddling around the periphery when the real subject goes deeper than man-vs-woman issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  IMO, As far as abortion goes, the "men can't make decisions on it" is the wrong focus. Is a fetus a person or not. If the answer is "yes", then HA's argument goes out the window. Everybody has a say when lives are being lost. If the answer is "no", then HA is right. In fact, no one else should have a say in what anyone does with their body (unless the person is mentally deficient and seeks to maim themselves, like Body Integrity Disorder).

So, this argument is diddling around the periphery when the real subject goes deeper than man-vs-woman issues.
                  As can be seen by the third quote in my signature space, even hardcore supporters will admit the fetus is a human life. They don't care. It is an inconvenient human life.

Comment

As can be seen by the third quote in my signature space, even hardcore supporters will admit the fetus is a human life. They don't care. It is an inconvenient human life.
                    I'm not familiar with Tassman, but I must assume he is a Leftist.

Comment

Back during WWII especially, those men who avoided the draft were usually looked down on and considered cowards. This was the era that women loved a man in uniform.
                      That is a very generalised statement. You also forget issues of conscience. Not forgetting reserved occupations or those engaged in war work that did not require a uniform.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is a very generalised statement. You also forget issues of conscience. Not forgetting reserved occupations or those engaged in war work that did not require a uniform.
                        Speaking of forgetting issues, you seem to have fogotten to answer the question posed in the OP. Please do so.

Comment

Of course it is you nitwit. Notice that I never claimed nor implied that everyone felt this way.

Comment

Of course it is you nitwit. Notice that I never claimed nor implied that everyone felt this way.
                            Then perhaps you should refrain from making ridiculous comments such as "This was the era that women loved a man in uniform."
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Then perhaps you should refrain from making ridiculous comments such as "This was the era that women loved a man in uniform."
                              Remember? rogue06 this is H_A we are talking about the peabrain in her little skull has extreme trouble understanding any sort of generalized statement, where there might possibly be even a single extant exception, and making it compute inside her gray matter. Sad condition, but it's been displayed again and again.

Comment

You keep getting more stupid with each and every passing day.

Read the following slowly so that it sinks in and we can avoid this:

It can still be an era that women loved a man in uniform even if there were a few women who didn't.

Go back and re-read it because it probably hasn't permeated your skull yet.

The latter are referred to as an exception to the rule.

Now please refrain from acting (?) like such a ninny.

Comment