Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Racism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Abortion is a complex ethical issue nor is it or "women's issues" the topic of this thread. Cow Poke made an aside to which I replied. I see no reason to continue on that topic.
    I started a thread just to continue that discussion. After all, you stated that opinion, so I figure it's fair game to explore it.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

It is complicated, but I mostly blame you:
    That sounds interesting. She seems to be covering similar ground to that dealt with by Robert P Jones in his White Too Long which looks at the legacy of white supremacy in American Christianity

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, is it your opinion that people who haven't experienced <X> can't force their opinions on others WRT to <X>, or is abortion a special carve out for you?
    Abortion is a complex ethical issue nor is it or "women's issues" the topic of this thread. Cow Poke made an aside to which I replied. I see no reason to continue on that topic.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Men are free to express their views on women's issues just as women are free to express theirs on men's issues. Although I have never heard of men holding placards on a protest line demanding free sanitary protection in the work place for women experiencing dysmenorrhea. Or protesting for the rights of women to have time out from the work place for hot flushes during their menopause. You are free to correct me of course.

What some men do not have the right to do is try and force their anti-abortion opinions on to women. [And let's be honest CP that is the one issue that gets so many men riled up].
    So, is it your opinion that people who haven't experienced <X> can't force their opinions on others WRT to <X>, or is abortion a special carve out for you?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Well, that explains HA's silliness about how no man (who actually identifies as a man) is allowed to express any views at all on women's issues.

Or, her silliness about how if you haven't faced a rapid mob with cameras parading violently through stanchions at the Capital you can't comment on a poor baby so-called Capital police officer who weeps because he was called a no-no name.
    Men are free to express their views on women's issues just as women are free to express theirs on men's issues. Although I have never heard of men holding placards on a protest line demanding free sanitary protection in the work place for women experiencing dysmenorrhea. Or protesting for the rights of women to have time out from the work place for hot flushes during their menopause. You are free to correct me of course.

What some men do not have the right to do is try and force their anti-abortion opinions on to women. [And let's be honest CP that is the one issue that gets so many men riled up].
    Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 11-23-2021, 04:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

As she was grilling me on my own law enforcement experiences, as to whether or not I was qualified to have an opinion on the "crying cops" - I thought, "well, what experience do YOU have in law enforcement...."

Yeah, she can be rather amusing.
    I never realised how embarrassed you must be over the fact that you have never experienced being beaten by a mob or heard some of them threatening to kill you.

As for your question to me concerning my law and order experience that is simply your employment of "whataboutism".

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Now, back to my response:

According to many on the left only whites can be racist. Care to disagree?
    You would need to cite these many in order for your comment to be considered .

Are there some irrational and somewhat fanatical people on both the political Left and the Right? Yes. What about it?

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied

As she was grilling me on my own law enforcement experiences, as to whether or not I was qualified to have an opinion on the "crying cops" - I thought, "well, what experience do YOU have in law enforcement...."

To say the least.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Well, that explains HA's silliness about how no man (who actually identifies as a man) is allowed to express any views at all on women's issues.

Or, her silliness about how if you haven't faced a rapid mob with cameras parading violently through stanchions at the Capital you can't comment on a poor baby so-called Capital police officer who weeps because he was called a no-no name.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    The left loves to use race as an issue, so they (very often old white liberal elites) pretend that only black people (or persons of color) can speak on race.
    Unless, of course, a black person (or person of color) disagrees with the left on race, then they are an "uncle tom", or otherwise attacked for their race.

It's complicated.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    You used to, at least on rare occasions, show a little bit of talent or wit.

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    replied
    The left loves to use race as an issue, so they (very often old white liberal elites) pretend that only black people (or persons of color) can speak on race.
    Unless, of course, a black person (or person of color) disagrees with the left on race, then they are an "uncle tom", or otherwise attacked for their race.

It's complicated.

In The Sin of White Supremacy: Christianity, Racism and Religious Diversity in America (Orbis, 2017), Jeannine Hill Fletcher, Ph.D., professor of theology, examines theology’s culpability in perpetuating ideas that elevate both Christianity and whiteness over all else.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

It's complicated.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Did you not read my reply to Mountain Man ?
    How you interpreted what he wrote without expressing an opinion on it. Yes.

Now, back to my response:

According to many on the left only whites can be racist. Care to disagree?

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Denigrate, vilify, regard as inferior (etc) a person or people on the basis of their race = racist. And no - the race of the person does not have any bearing on the likelihood of their being racist. Some are, however, given greater encouragement and are even incited to be racist.

Leave a comment: