Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Vaccine Mandate On Hold....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccine Mandate On Hold....

Good....

Federal court of appeals issues temporary halt to Biden vaccine mandate

Texas sued the Biden administration over the mandate earlier this week

A federal court issued Texas a temporary victory in its lawsuit against the Biden administration’s coronavirus vaccine mandate issuing a stay on the controversial federal government regulation in Texas.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...accine-mandate
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Cool!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A court order shouldn't even be necessary. We do not live in a country where a president can rule by fiat. As I told an employee recently who informed me that the mayor had issued a mask mandate, "Mandates are not laws, they are suggestions, and I am under no obligation to follow them."

How did we get to the point where a court has to stop a mandate when they should be purely voluntary?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Not holding my breath that the temporary victory will become permanent.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          A court order shouldn't even be necessary. We do not live in a country where a president can rule by fiat. As I told an employee recently who informed me that the mayor had issued a mask mandate, "Mandates are not laws, they are suggestions, and I am under no obligation to follow them."

How did we get to the point where a court has to stop a mandate when they should be purely voluntary?
          Liberal Elites think they know better than anybody else, and like the Pharisees, come up with 'laws' they themselves don't even follow.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The "mandate" would be accomplished through law. The Occupational Safety and Health Act empowers the Occupational Safety and Health Agency (both, confusingly, abbreviated as OSHA) to regulate workplace safety. Biden is not issuing any mandate on his own authority, but instead directing OSHA to issue such a regulation.

The primary legal challenge, as I understand it, is asserting that the Occupational Safety and Health Act does not grant this power. It does grant it power to issue emergency temporary standards, but whether this qualifies as such--especially given the delay in enacting it, making it harder to say it's an emergency, as argued here--is debated. Still, even if it's wrongfully invoking a law, it is invoking a law, so it is not a president ruling by fiat.

What I am curious about is the alternative argument that, whether or not OSHA can authorize this, if this actually qualifies as a valid execution of the Commerce Clause, which I believe is the clause being invoked through OSHA. The Commerce Clause grants the federal congress the power to regulate commerce among the states. The SCOTUS did rule in the past that requiring people to purchase a product exceeds the Commerce Clause, so it seems questionable if you can require people to be vaccinated under the Commerce Clause.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
              The "mandate" would be accomplished through law. The Occupational Safety and Health Act empowers the Occupational Safety and Health Agency (both, confusingly, abbreviated as OSHA) to regulate workplace safety. Biden is not issuing any mandate on his own authority, but instead directing OSHA to issue such a regulation.

The primary legal challenge, as I understand it, is asserting that the Occupational Safety and Health Act does not grant this power. It does grant it power to issue emergency temporary standards, but whether this qualifies as such--especially given the delay in enacting it, making it harder to say it's an emergency, as argued here--is debated. Still, even if it's wrongfully invoking a law, it is invoking a law, so it is not a president ruling by fiat.

What I am curious about is the alternative argument that, whether or not OSHA can authorize this, if this actually qualifies as a valid execution of the Commerce Clause, which I believe is the clause being invoked through OSHA. The Commerce Clause grants the federal congress the power to regulate commerce among the states. The SCOTUS did rule in the past that requiring people to purchase a product exceeds the Commerce Clause, so it seems questionable if you can require people to be vaccinated under the Commerce Clause.
              As far as I'm concerned, agencies like OSHA are a legal end-run around the legislature that allow a president to effectively rule by fiat. The agencies themselves, I think, are a direct challenge to the Constitution. I forget where I heard it, but it was supposedly Obama's dream to do away with Congress and govern directly through regulatory agencies.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, agencies like OSHA are a legal end-run around the legislature that allow a president to effectively rule by fiat. The agencies themselves, I think, are a direct challenge to the Constitution. I forget where I heard it, but it was supposedly Obama's dream to do away with Congress and govern directly through regulatory agencies.
                Congress allowed it to happen. It's an extension of the Executive's role in carrying out the laws the Legislature passes. The agencies are the Executive's means of doing that, but Congress granted them too much latitude.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

And to the extent that the agencies are filled with unelected bureaucrats protect by Civil Service laws and regs, such that neither POTUS, nor anyone really, can fire them, they are law unto themselves.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Once again, when will the TDS crowd who saw every move Trump made as some sort of attempt to establish a dictatorship wake up and realize that old Joe is exactly the sort of president that they feared Trump would become?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Liberal Elites think they know better than anybody else, and like the Pharisees, come up with 'laws' they themselves don't even follow.
                      If a law is such a good idea then why do they exempt themselves? That should be a red flag for any new law. policy, mandate etc. that they're trying to foist on the public.

If it is so essential shouldn't they be leading by example and not be exempt?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        Not holding my breath that the temporary victory will become permanent.
                        The WaPo did make sure to point out in the second sentence of their coverage that "The decision was issued by a panel of three judges appointed by Republican presidents" (the same way they reported things when a court blocked something Trump did ). That could indicate stormy weather ahead for the decision in more split courts.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          If a law is such a good idea then why do they exempt themselves? That should be a red flag for any new law. policy, mandate etc. that they're trying to foist on the public.

If it is so essential shouldn't they be leading by example and not be exempt?
                          EGGzackly - they should live under the laws they enact, no exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Once again, when will the TDS crowd who saw every move Trump made as some sort of attempt to establish a dictatorship wake up and realize that old Joe is exactly the sort of president that they feared Trump would become?
                            Joe is everything the left falsely accused President Trump of being, and yet not a peep from them about it.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Federal court of appeals issues temporary halt to Biden vaccine mandate
                              All you trypanophobes had better hope that smallpox never escapes back into the wild. The stampede of needle shy vaccination sceptics charging their nearest medical centre would be heard from here.
                              When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                              - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                              “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment