Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kyle Rittenhouse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I wonder if the same concerns for a fair trial and arguments for self defence etc would apply if the political boot was on the proverbial opposite foot.
    I am always for a fair trial. Always.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Why wouldn't it?
      Because I wonder how deep the concern for actual justice runs among some.

"It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I wonder if the same concerns for a fair trial and arguments for self defence etc would apply if the political boot was on the proverbial opposite foot.
        Of course it would. Justice is justice regardless of who is on the defense stand. It's only liberals like you who live by a double standard.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Well, it's Joe, so....
          Two proofs we are primates are stupidity and toilet humor. =)

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

Two proofs we are primates are stupidity and toilet humor. =)
            Yes, I stooped to ff's level, which was an error on my part. POOP!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

If he was minding his own business, why were they chasing him? Who started the confrontation? What had he done up to that point?
              He was helping to protect the property of a friend from the mob who was trying to burn it down. He was attacked near some cars and shot one person in self defense, then started running when others started chasing him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

He was helping to protect the property of a friend from the mob who was trying to burn it down. He was attacked near some cars and shot one person in self defense, then started running when others started chasing him.
                This is an extreme oversimplification. If it can be proved that he had a political or ideological axe to grind, the jury could conclude that bringing a rifle to an inflammatory situation was reckless, therefore requiring some punishment. The people that attacked him could have reasoned that “white kids brandishing rifles in public have been known to slay many” and wanted to prevent possible mass slaughter. Both sides will lie. Both sides will incorrectly point to themselves as heroic.

You are witnessing tribalism and why civilization was never intended to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yes, I stooped to ff's level, which was an error on my part. POOP!
                  Pope emoji forgives you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

That's not new footage. I saw that video interview back when this happened.
                    Are you sure? I don't remember seeing that. I saw one from a different angle.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

And you are an idiot, the love of country is a real thing - even if you haven't experienced it...
                      That’s not an argument for patriotism. Bestiality and idolatry are also real things.

Patriotism is a highly subjective concept and can’t be rationally defended.

Comment

Do you?

Comment

Because I wonder how deep the concern for actual justice runs among some.
                          So do I. Just not in a way you'd find nice. Especially when I see progressives turn a blind eye to rape when it involves a trans or gender fluid perpetrator or one of their other protected classes.

Comment

Pope emoji forgives you.
                            I really am glad you're around, whag. You're an interesting character.

Comment

This is an extreme oversimplification. If it can be proved that he had a political or ideological axe to grind, the jury could conclude that bringing a rifle to an inflammatory situation was reckless, therefore requiring some punishment. The people that attacked him could have reasoned that “white kids brandishing rifles in public have been known to slay many” and wanted to prevent possible mass slaughter. Both sides will lie. Both sides will incorrectly point to themselves as heroic.

You are witnessing tribalism and why civilization was never intended to work.
                              Oh? Is that all it takes to defend me trying to beat a black person to death? "Black people with sagging pants and handkerchief gang flag colors have been known to shoot many", and then I'm okay chasing a black person down and trying to bash his head in with a chain or a skateboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

He shot people attacking him. Not people (no "protestors" here) attacking others'property.
                                His defense is that he was ultimately carrying a gun to defend his friend’s property. Whether the people attacking him were protestors or pedestrians concerned that a mass shooting might take place is immaterial. Both sides are gearing up to lie about attackers’ intent.

What is clear is that Kyle’s action was provocative and reckless, since no adult would argue that bringing a rifle to an already inflammatory situation is a smart move for any side.

Comment