Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Reuters is a "Fake News" Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reuters is a "Fake News" Site

Reuters Cites ‘Conservative’ Ana Navarro to Attack Jeff Sessions

I will have more to say about Jeff Sessions later if anyone is interested.

This is a pretty content free post John Reece.

Suffice it to say that I don't trust a news source with a bad repute, and an extremely politically biased viewpoint, to inform me about the validity of a newspaper of a different political persuasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

Suffice it to say that I don't trust a news source with a bad repute, and an extremely politically biased viewpoint, to inform me about the validity of a newspaper of a different political persuasion.
      I do not care whether or not you trust Breitbart.

Can you justify the headline of the Reuters article that says "Conservatives have concerns about Sessions as Trump's Attorney General" by telling me the names of the "conservatives" quoted in the article that say they have concerns about Sessions as Trump's Attorney General?

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
        I do not care whether or not you trust Breitbart.

Can you justify the headline of the Reuters article that says "Conservatives have concerns about Sessions as Trump's Attorney General" by telling me the names of the "conservatives" quoted in the article that say they have concerns about Sessions as Trump's Attorney General?
        So you want me to use Reuters, a newspaper I don't trust, to... show that Breitbart is untrustworthy? You're not making sense.

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So you want me to use Reuters, a newspaper I don't trust, to... show that Breitbart is untrustworthy? You're not making sense.

Cow Poke, I see you are viewing this thread. Can you help me understand Leonard's response above, as I cannot make sense of it; i.e. in terms of what has been posted thus far in this thread. I am aware that the problem may be in my 83 y.o. brain, which is why I need a referee here.

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post

Cow Poke, I see you are viewing this thread. Can you help me understand Leonard's response above, as I cannot make sense of it; i.e. in terms of what has been posted thus far in this thread. I am aware that the problem may be in my 83 y.o. brain, which is why I need a referee here.
              You made a headline 'Reuters is a "Fake News" site.', so I thought you meant to show this in your post. You made a one-liner citing something about Reuters having an article, but mentioning only one candidate. I didn't read the Breitbart article, or the Reuters article, but I simple remarked that its odd to use a heavily ideologically biased news source, which we all agree Breitbart is, to use that as evidence of some other paper being in bad repute.

Even if Breitbart was virtually unassailable, whether you say about the other article wouldn't show that the paper it came from was a "Fake News" site, whatever you mean by that.

Comment

Suffice it to say that I don't trust a news source with a bad repute, and an extremely politically biased viewpoint.........
                If we use that criteria, which I agree with, whom then shall we trust?

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
                  Trust in the Lord, I say, and His Righteousness!

(sorry)
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

(sorry)

Comment

You made a headline 'Reuters is a "Fake News" site.', so I thought you meant to show this in your post. You made a one-liner citing something about Reuters having an article, but mentioning only one candidate. I didn't read the Breitbart article, or the Reuters article, but I simple remarked that its odd to use a heavily ideologically biased news source, which we all agree Breitbart is, to use that as evidence of some other paper being in bad repute.

Even if Breitbart was virtually unassailable, whether you say about the other article wouldn't show that the paper it came from was a "Fake News" site, whatever you mean by that.
                      You have to read the Breitbart article John linked to in order to understand the flaw in the Reuters headline. If you don't trust Breitbart, their article provides a link to the original Reuters article, which you can also read.
                      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Jude View Post
                        At the very least I wouldn't simple use newspapers, to find out which newspapers are reliable. Or if you do, I don't see how you can fault others for trusting a different kind of newspaper then, as your trust would accidentally depend on which newspaper you decided to trust first.

There's a whole world outside of newspapers of organisations and their opinions, of scientific journals and their writings, of education, of you know... actually meeting people and talking to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

(sorry)
                          No apology necessary. I am in total agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                            You have to read the Breitbart article John linked to in order to understand the flaw in the Reuters headline. If you don't trust Breitbart, their article provides a link to the original Reuters article, which you can also read.
                            The article may or may not be correct. That wasn't my point. John Reece headlined this post with the point that Reuters was a "Fake News" site... by which I assumed that Reuters couldn't be truested. In the OP there's two line. One where he apologizes and says he's open to talk more, and a link... that's about it.

So I decided to point out some flaws in his argument. At the very least he has more footwork to do.

Comment

At the very least I wouldn't simple use newspapers, to find out which newspapers are reliable. Or if you do, I don't see how you can fault others for trusting a different kind of newspaper then, as your trust would accidentally depend on which newspaper you decided to trust first.

There's a whole world outside of newspapers of organisations and their opinions, of scientific journals and their writings, of education, of you know... actually meeting people and talking to them.
                              Yes. I miss the simple life. I meet and speak to lots of people and everyone has opinions informed by various sources. The truth becomes a slippery thing indeed. Truth most often becomes whatever one wants it to be. (Ain't that the truth?) I'm beginning to think that the whole Tower of Babel thing was genius.

Comment