Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supply Chain Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Biden is making a dumb speech about the "supply chain"

He is blaming it on climate and covid. Claiming that problems in other parts of the world causes shortages, etc.

Except that isn't what the supply chain problem is that we have right now. The goods are right there sitting on ships that can't be unloaded. Not a shortage problem, a transportation problem.
    And look at all the people flocking around him - NOBODY is wearing a mask!!! What a flaming hypocrite!

ETA: ok, one guy just put on a mask! But NOBODY is maintaining 6 foot distance.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And look at all the people flocking around him - NOBODY is wearing a mask!!! What a flaming hypocrite!

ETA: ok, one guy just put on a mask! But NOBODY is maintaining 6 foot distance.
      Pretty much the only folks wearing masks anywhere near him Pelosi etc. these days are lower level staff and servants.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Biden is making a dumb speech about the "supply chain"

He is blaming it on climate and covid. Claiming that problems in other parts of the world causes shortages, etc.

Except that isn't what the supply chain problem is that we have right now. The goods are right there sitting on ships that can't be unloaded. Not a shortage problem, a transportation problem.
        You know that, and I know that, but the people he's really talking to, the low information crowd, the kind of people who wear a mask to walk their dog, will believe whatever he says.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Jim Rickards explains why it's a cascading problem, why it likely won't end soon (if at all), and why it will likely get much worse...

Supply Chain Disruptions Will Continue

I won't quote a snippet only because I feel the entire article as a whole is informative.

Comment

• Well, we haven't had much of a supply chain problem here in Canada. But problems are coming. Not because of covid mandates..........yet.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/b-c-...sues-1.5669026

TORONTO -
            The aftermath of the storm in B.C. that saw untold damage to highways, homes and infrastructure is the latest blow in a long line of supply chain issues for the province and Canada.

Days of intense rainfall led to mudslides, rockslides and severe flooding, as winds toppled trees and power lines, leaving thousands of residents in the dark.

One woman was confirmed dead and her body recovered from the mudslide that happened Monday at Highway 99 near Lillooet.

All highways in and out of the Lower Mainland have experienced various levels of closure, with major routes connecting the Lower Mainland to the Interior blocked.
            Sections of the Coquihalla Highway have been severed and washed away, with the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure tweeting Tuesday that work to assess damage continues across the province.

All the damage, including the washing out of rail lines and closure of transportation routes, is the latest blow for supply chains in the province, with a knock-on effect to the rest of the country, said professor Johnny Rungtusanatham, Canada Research Chair in supply management at York University’s Schulich School of Business in Toronto.

“Even before the storm, supply chains globally have been under stress from before COVID-19. COVID-19 just sort of exposed the fragility of global supply chains,” Rungtusanatham said in a telephone interview with CTVNews.ca Tuesday.

Rungtusanatham cited the “spill-over effects” of people being out of work due to the pandemic, the blockage incident at the Suez Canal, lack of shipping containers and delivery driver shortages all contributing to “an escalating set of events which put continued stress on goods being moved.”

“The flooding in British Columbia and the isolation of Vancouver sort of adds on to the distress,” he said. “With the Port of Vancouver being such an important entry point for Canadian goods…anything that's going through that has been successfully unloaded is now waiting to be distributed from Vancouver to other destination points throughout Canada is sort of on hold until the flooding recedes, until assessments can be done.”

At a media briefing Tuesday afternoon, B.C. Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Rob Fleming said that the provincial government is working with Transport Canada to re-open supply chains once safety and damage assessments are done .

Rungtusanatham said B.C. authorities will have to assess whether the roads can be safely travelled, whether rail lines are clear and how to prioritize the goods waiting to be transported across the country.

“There'll be delays in goods coming into the Port of Vancouver and there's a domino effect when the port isn’t able to unload things onto trailers and containers -- that means ships are waiting to unload,” he said, calling it a “domino effect.”

“I expect that the delays that we have been talking about even before the storm might actually get a little worse,” he said. “If the delays translate into somebody else basically paying for goods not moving, you know, then this cost may be further passed on to consumers.”

In an emailed statement to CTVNews.ca, a spokesperson for the Port of Vancouver said flooding had severely affected their operations.

“Vessel delays and heightened anchorage demand are expected due to disruptions to terminal operations,” the statement said. “We are working closely with our terminal operators, railways, and all levels of government to understand the impacts of these delays on terminal operations and to develop a recovery plan.”
            The Port of Vancouver moves crucial goods to Canada’s industries, like lumber, fertilizers, electronics, coal, textiles, animal feed, canola, machinery, jet fuel, chemicals, minerals, meat, fish and poultry.

A September report from the Port of Vancouver said more than 14 million tonnes of goods had been imported and more than 62 million tonnes of cargo had been exported in June of this year.

The statement said all rail service coming to and from the Port of Vancouver was halted because of flooding in the B.C. interior, and that no rail traffic is possible between Kamloops and Vancouver.

Both Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway confirmed in separate emailed statements to CTVNews.ca that their networks have been impacted by the storm, echoing the Port’s statement.

CP Rail said it is experiencing a “track outage” north of Hope, B.C., and CN Rail said in its statement that mudslides and washouts have hit their network.
            A CN Rail train with a CP locomotive derailed Monday outside the town of Yale, B.C.

“Crews are inspecting the affected areas and carrying out repairs which are critical to the passage of railway traffic through southern B.C. The repair work is progressing safely, but northbound and eastbound traffic from Vancouver, as well as inbound to Vancouver from east/north of Kamloops continue to be impacted,” the statement said.

Rungtusanatham said the storm may have upset progress Canada made in stabilizing supply chains since the pandemic hit.

“With this ongoing situation, it's critical that roads and transportation be re-established as quickly as possible because the only other option is either you reroute, drive through U.S. and then come back up to one of the land ports or… if you have critical goods that you have to fly them. That is a huge expense,” he said, adding that the country is already seeing an increase in demand going into the holiday shopping season.

Rungtusanatham said prior to the situation unfolding in B.C., talk about when supply chains may revert back to normal had timeframe estimates around “mid-summer in 2023 at the very earliest to probably 2024.”

But it is not an exact science, as "there are many things we don’t control,” he said.
            “I would be foolish to try and tell you that we have a rosy picture,” he continued. “All I can say is that we're all going to have to exercise a little more patience.”

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Well, we haven't had much of a supply chain problem here in Canada. But problems are coming. Not because of covid mandates..........yet.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/b-c-...sues-1.5669026

TORONTO -
              The aftermath of the storm in B.C. that saw untold damage to highways, homes and infrastructure is the latest blow in a long line of supply chain issues for the province and Canada.

Days of intense rainfall led to mudslides, rockslides and severe flooding, as winds toppled trees and power lines, leaving thousands of residents in the dark.

One woman was confirmed dead and her body recovered from the mudslide that happened Monday at Highway 99 near Lillooet.

All highways in and out of the Lower Mainland have experienced various levels of closure, with major routes connecting the Lower Mainland to the Interior blocked.
              Sections of the Coquihalla Highway have been severed and washed away, with the BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure tweeting Tuesday that work to assess damage continues across the province.

All the damage, including the washing out of rail lines and closure of transportation routes, is the latest blow for supply chains in the province, with a knock-on effect to the rest of the country, said professor Johnny Rungtusanatham, Canada Research Chair in supply management at York University’s Schulich School of Business in Toronto.

“Even before the storm, supply chains globally have been under stress from before COVID-19. COVID-19 just sort of exposed the fragility of global supply chains,” Rungtusanatham said in a telephone interview with CTVNews.ca Tuesday.

Rungtusanatham cited the “spill-over effects” of people being out of work due to the pandemic, the blockage incident at the Suez Canal, lack of shipping containers and delivery driver shortages all contributing to “an escalating set of events which put continued stress on goods being moved.”

“The flooding in British Columbia and the isolation of Vancouver sort of adds on to the distress,” he said. “With the Port of Vancouver being such an important entry point for Canadian goods…anything that's going through that has been successfully unloaded is now waiting to be distributed from Vancouver to other destination points throughout Canada is sort of on hold until the flooding recedes, until assessments can be done.”

At a media briefing Tuesday afternoon, B.C. Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Rob Fleming said that the provincial government is working with Transport Canada to re-open supply chains once safety and damage assessments are done .

Rungtusanatham said B.C. authorities will have to assess whether the roads can be safely travelled, whether rail lines are clear and how to prioritize the goods waiting to be transported across the country.

“There'll be delays in goods coming into the Port of Vancouver and there's a domino effect when the port isn’t able to unload things onto trailers and containers -- that means ships are waiting to unload,” he said, calling it a “domino effect.”

“I expect that the delays that we have been talking about even before the storm might actually get a little worse,” he said. “If the delays translate into somebody else basically paying for goods not moving, you know, then this cost may be further passed on to consumers.”

In an emailed statement to CTVNews.ca, a spokesperson for the Port of Vancouver said flooding had severely affected their operations.

“Vessel delays and heightened anchorage demand are expected due to disruptions to terminal operations,” the statement said. “We are working closely with our terminal operators, railways, and all levels of government to understand the impacts of these delays on terminal operations and to develop a recovery plan.”
              The Port of Vancouver moves crucial goods to Canada’s industries, like lumber, fertilizers, electronics, coal, textiles, animal feed, canola, machinery, jet fuel, chemicals, minerals, meat, fish and poultry.

A September report from the Port of Vancouver said more than 14 million tonnes of goods had been imported and more than 62 million tonnes of cargo had been exported in June of this year.

The statement said all rail service coming to and from the Port of Vancouver was halted because of flooding in the B.C. interior, and that no rail traffic is possible between Kamloops and Vancouver.

Both Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway confirmed in separate emailed statements to CTVNews.ca that their networks have been impacted by the storm, echoing the Port’s statement.

CP Rail said it is experiencing a “track outage” north of Hope, B.C., and CN Rail said in its statement that mudslides and washouts have hit their network.
              A CN Rail train with a CP locomotive derailed Monday outside the town of Yale, B.C.

“Crews are inspecting the affected areas and carrying out repairs which are critical to the passage of railway traffic through southern B.C. The repair work is progressing safely, but northbound and eastbound traffic from Vancouver, as well as inbound to Vancouver from east/north of Kamloops continue to be impacted,” the statement said.

Rungtusanatham said the storm may have upset progress Canada made in stabilizing supply chains since the pandemic hit.

“With this ongoing situation, it's critical that roads and transportation be re-established as quickly as possible because the only other option is either you reroute, drive through U.S. and then come back up to one of the land ports or… if you have critical goods that you have to fly them. That is a huge expense,” he said, adding that the country is already seeing an increase in demand going into the holiday shopping season.

Rungtusanatham said prior to the situation unfolding in B.C., talk about when supply chains may revert back to normal had timeframe estimates around “mid-summer in 2023 at the very earliest to probably 2024.”

But it is not an exact science, as "there are many things we don’t control,” he said.
              “I would be foolish to try and tell you that we have a rosy picture,” he continued. “All I can say is that we're all going to have to exercise a little more patience.”

Oh boy.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh boy.
                Yuh. It's really bad there. My sister in Sooke on the Island lost power yesterday for several hours. And the main road from Sooke into Victoria is closed, so they are cut off from civilization right now. Fortunately Sooke didn't flood, to my knowledge.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yuh. It's really bad there. My sister in Sooke on the Island lost power yesterday for several hours. And the main road from Sooke into Victoria is closed, so they are cut off from civilization right now. Fortunately Sooke didn't flood, to my knowledge.
                  These are not thoughts that come to mind when thinking about Canada!

Comment

These are not thoughts that come to mind when thinking about Canada!
                    I know. And we've had the aftereffects of their rain. 8-10 inches of snow since noon yesterday, until about 2 this afternoon. And horribly strong winds.

Comment

I know. And we've had the aftereffects of their rain. 8-10 inches of snow since noon yesterday, until about 2 this afternoon. And horribly strong winds.
                      Global Warming, no doubt. Praying for you.

Comment

Global Warming, no doubt. Praying for you.
                        Thanks, dear friend. We are so blessed to have a wonderful neighbour who's lived next door for about 20 years, and he is faithful in helping us out with the snow. We really can't deal with this much at once on our own any more. He has a big snowblower and we have a big back yard for him to blow the snow into!

Comment

Thanks, dear friend. We are so blessed to have a wonderful neighbour who's lived next door for about 20 years, and he is faithful in helping us out with the snow. We really can't deal with this much at once on our own any more. He has a big snowblower and we have a big back yard for him to blow the snow into!
                          We lived in Ohio when I was younger in "the snow belt", and I remember those nights when it was incredibly quiet because the snow was blanketing everything - and I loved it when the snow was already deep enough before the morning TV shows started because I knew TWO things...

A) No School!!!!
                          2) I could make tons of money shoveling driveways!!!

Them were the days.

Comment

We lived in Ohio when I was younger in "the snow belt", and I remember those nights when it was incredibly quiet because the snow was blanketing everything - and I loved it when the snow was already deep enough before the morning TV shows started because I knew TWO things...

A) No School!!!!
                            2) I could make tons of money shoveling driveways!!!

Them were the days.
                            Snow is always more fun when you're young and don't have to shovel it or drive in it. I am SO thankful that Mr. mossy retired some years ago and doesn't have that 45 minute drive both there and home again on the highways when it's bad.

Comment

Snow is always more fun when you're young and don't have to shovel it or drive in it. I am SO thankful that Mr. mossy retired some years ago and doesn't have that 45 minute drive both there and home again on the highways when it's bad.
                              Yeah, when we lived in Huntsville, Tx, it snowed there about 1", and the locals went crazy sliding into ditches and spinning out. I knew how to drive in snow, but thought it safer to stay home out of the way of all those idiots.

Comment

Yeah, when we lived in Huntsville, Tx, it snowed there about 1", and the locals went crazy sliding into ditches and spinning out. I knew how to drive in snow, but thought it safer to stay home out of the way of all those idiots.
                                And this is why I scoff at those who panic at the sight of single snowflake.

Comment