Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A shocking discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Are you contending that child labour was [to use Seller and Yeatman's phrase] "a good thing"?
    I'll assume that you skipped your meds today given the nature of your question.

In 1880 the age of consent in Germany was fourteen years of age.
    Funny I could have sworn that I asked what Germany's age of consent is today

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Remind me again, what is Germany's age of consent, not in the 1880s, but in the 2020s.

Yup sure did. Quite explicitly. And yet you told me what it was in the 1880s -- which I very specifically told you I wasn't interested in.

Remind me again, what is Germany's age of consent, not in the 1880s, but in the 2020s.

Maybe that's due to skipping your meds as well.

According to this source the age of consent in Germany today is 14.

Moreover, "Prosecution for statutory rape (or the local equivalent) can result in prison time ranging from 6 months to 10 years." Not much for raping a child.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sadly, COVID is being blamed for a reason that a school truancy issue was dropped - the kids had stopped coming to school, and an investigation was begun, but was dropped because ALL kids stopped coming to school due to the pandemic. These kids dropped off the radar.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'll assume that you skipped your meds today given the nature of your question.

Funny I could have sworn that I asked what Germany's age of consent is today

Yup sure did. Quite explicitly. And yet you told me what it was in the 1880s -- which I very specifically told you I wasn't interested in.

Maybe that's due to skipping your meds as well.

The usual descent to derogatory remarks is duly noted.

Yes it was 14 years in 1880 and it is fourteen years today. My mistake I misread what you had written.

However, in 1880 in the USA the age of consent ranged from 7 years to 12 years.

Moreover, "Prosecution for statutory rape (or the local equivalent) can result in prison time ranging from 6 months to 10 years." Not much for raping a child.
        Of course in some states in the USA the perpetrator can still offer to marry his victim and thereby escape prosecution. A few months ago I started a thread on US Child Brides. Interestingly, that thread was removed!

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I really don't give a flyin' flip about your know-it-all obfuscation - every kid needs and deserves a mom and a dad.
          I would contend that every child needs TLC more than two parents of different sex. An abusive father and a mother who condones the abuse [or turns a blind eye to it] are a mom and a dad. Does any kind deserve such parents?

Meanwhile....

Charges have been filed against the mother of three children rescued from a west Harris County apartment, where authorities also found the long-dead body of a fourth child inside the a bedroom.

Gloria Williams, 35 was arrested Tuesday afternoon on charges of injury to a child by omission and tampering with evidence, in this case a human corpse. Her boyfriend, Brian Coulter, has been charged with murder in the death of the child found in the apartment.

Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said the child was 8 at the time of his death in 2020.
          Thank you for the latest information. That appears to be a very gruesome incident. Interestingly, once again, a boyfriend is charged with the murder of a child by another man. One wonders if biology is also at work in such cases.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Interestingly, once again, a boyfriend is charged with the murder of a child by another man. One wonders if biology is also at work in such cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I was thinking of male animals that will kill the young of another male in order to bring the female to oestrus and mate with her.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I was thinking of male animals that will kill the young of another male in order to bring the female to oestrus and mate with her.
                Understood. Your initial wording was odd.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Wait... Maybe the "a" acts as a negation. So it may be a non-trocity or anti-trocity.
                  “When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

Comment

I would contend that every child needs TLC more than two parents of different sex.
                    Yes, I'm well aware of your derail of the fact that kids generally do far better with a mom and a dad, with the exception of where one (or both) of them is/are abusive.
                    You're wired toward "exception" rather than "general rule". We got that.

An abusive father and a mother who condones the abuse [or turns a blind eye to it] are a mom and a dad. Does any kind deserve such parents?
                    Do we need to go through all of that AGAIN!?!?!?!

Thank you for the latest information. That appears to be a very gruesome incident. Interestingly, once again, a boyfriend is charged with the murder of a child by another man. One wonders if biology is also at work in such cases.
                    Sadly, it appears to be yet another case of "absent father". The woman apparently had 5 children, 3 of whom were in that apartment, and no "father" figure. The boyfriend is charged with murder, and the child died by multiple blunt force trauma.

The "couple" was found in a Houston library researching news stories about their own case.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Understood. Your initial wording was odd.
                      My apologies.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Yes, I'm well aware of your derail of the fact that kids generally do far better with a mom and a dad, with the exception of where one (or both) of them is/are abusive.
                        You're wired toward "exception" rather than "general rule". We got that.

Do we need to go through all of that AGAIN!?!?!?!
                        I am merely pointing out the dangers of making over-generalisations!

Sadly, it appears to be yet another case of "absent father". The woman apparently had 5 children, 3 of whom were in that apartment, and no "father" figure. The boyfriend is charged with murder, and the child died by multiple blunt force trauma.

The "couple" was found in a Houston library researching news stories about their own case.
                        Oh good grief. How awful. A sewer rat makes a better mother. She will at least move her offspring out of the way of rising water to prevent drowning.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

“When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
                          bacon

Comment

I would contend that every child needs TLC more than two parents of different sex. An abusive father and a mother who condones the abuse [or turns a blind eye to it] are a mom and a dad. Does any kind deserve such parents?
                            Just curious but in your world are mothers incapable of abusing their children themselves? All they ever do is condone or ignore the abuse meted out by the father?

I ask this because that myth has been promoted at various times, and back in my college days when I took several law classes, I wrote a paper on child abuse and discovered that the mother is far more likely to kill her child than the biological father is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Just curious but in your world are mothers incapable of abusing their children themselves? All they ever do is condone or ignore the abuse meted out by the father?

I ask this because that myth has been promoted at various times, and back in my college days when I took several law classes, I wrote a paper on child abuse and discovered that the mother is far more likely to kill her child than the biological father is.
                              And she seems to live in a fantasy world where persons other than the biological parents would be less likely to be a danger to the child.

In this case, it was a boyfriend of the mother who is being charged with the child's murder, not the biological MISSING father.

Comment

Sadly, COVID is being blamed for a reason that a school truancy issue was dropped - the kids had stopped coming to school, and an investigation was begun, but was dropped because ALL kids stopped coming to school due to the pandemic. These kids dropped off the radar.
                                More victims of Fauci and the rest of our "public health" officials and their policies? Not surprising.

Comment