Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Atheists In Alabama No Longer Have To Swear Oath To God To Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The facts aren't with you on this gond. Courts have been ordering displays of the 10 Commandments be removed after someone complained for decades, starting with schools in the 1980s and courthouses at the turn of this century. In fact, the SCOTUS decided in 2005 that two Kentucky courthouses had to remove them
    I couldn't care less about this attempted derail, nor your irrelevant examples to try to bail out MM's nonsense (hint: your examples are of solely 10 commandment displays, not what I stated - look at the SCOTUS building for an example, and move on with the topic of the thread).

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
      I couldn't care less about this attempted derail, nor your irrelevant examples to try to bail out MM's nonsense (hint: your examples are of solely 10 commandment displays, not what I stated - look at the SCOTUS building for an example, and move on with the topic of the thread).
      Well good for you. Nevertheless, all the evidence clearly shows that you were wrong.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well good for you. Nevertheless, all the evidence clearly shows that you were wrong.
        Okay, H_A, we'll go down your rabbithole for another post. The evidence is that I am right. SCOTUS has ruled that if the Ten Commandments are displayed with other images celebrating the country's history, and are not a clearly religious display, LIKE I SAID, they can stand. Like their own carvings outside their SCOTUS building, and like Texas' Capitol which has them displayed with 17 other historical statues/carvings. (Note, the linked article discusses the courthouses in Kentucky and how they differed. Interesting how you left out the part about the ruling on Texas that happened at the same time....)

Now that we've established you don't know what you're talking about, can we move on to the TOPIC of the thread? Or is this going to be the conservative version of an H_A derail train on a topic you don't want to talk about? If it is, such people can kindly leave the thread.
        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-25-2021, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Okay, H_A, we'll go down your rabbithole for another post. The evidence is that I am right. SCOTUS has ruled that if the Ten Commandments are displayed with other images celebrating the country's history, and are not a clearly religious display, LIKE I SAID, they can stand. Like their own carvings outside their SCOTUS building, and like Texas' Capitol which has them displayed with 17 other historical statues/carvings.

Now that we've established you don't know what you're talking about, can we move on to the TOPIC of the thread? Or is this going to be the conservative version of an H_A derail train on a topic you don't want to talk about? If it is, such people can kindly leave the thread.
          SCOTUS ruled that if something is part of a historic display it can stay, but that the ten commandments by themselves must be removed. Fail better.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

SCOTUS ruled that if something is part of a historic display it can stay, but that the ten commandments by themselves must be removed. Fail better.
            They ruled that if the Ten Commandments are part of the historic display, AS I SAID IN MY POST TO MM, they can stay. By themselves they must be removed. You're literally repeating what I said, you twit.

Good grief. Learn to read.

Now, back to the bloody TOPIC.

Comment

It matters because I should not be unconstitutionally forced to pass a religious test in order to exercise my RIGHT TO VOTE, nor should I be required to technically commit a crime. Nor should Christians who are against swearing oaths due to their beliefs (there are many groups of Christians who view it as a violation of Matthew, taking God's name in vain, etc.) have to violate their beliefs in order to exercise their RIGHT TO VOTE.
              How is being asked to utter the phrase "so help me God" a religious test? Especially for an atheist who should consider it meaningless?

Seriously, get over yourself.

As for Christians who believe it is taking God's name in vain, they need some better exegesis. That passage is talking about using God's name in an irreverent or insincere manner.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

How is being asked to utter the phrase "so help me God" a religious test? Especially for an atheist who should consider it meaningless?
                because I'd be required to swear that oath to your atrocious deity under penalty of perjury and have to commit a crime in order to exercise my RIGHT.

Seriously, get over yourself.
                No, it is christians like you that are defending absurd laws like this that need to get over themselves and over there sense of entitlement. This ain't a theocracy no matter how much you wish it was

As for Christians who believe it is taking God's name in vain, they need some better exegesis. That passage is talking about using God's name in an irreverent or insincere manner.
                I'm sure many of the christians in question would say the same about you buddy (and as I noted that just one of the reasons some Christians do not do so)
                Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-25-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Great to hear. It's incredible that this even still existed, but until this case, any atheist (and pretty much anyone who didn't believe in the Christian God, depending on how one looks at it) was required to swear an oath to 'God' in order to vote, and could technically be held guilty of perjury if they swore the oath and did so 'falsely' (which would apply to anyone that doesn't believe in said deity, if someone wanted to make a case of it).

One atheist went to register to vote last year, and objected to the oath. He was told either sign it or don't vote, and wasn't allowed to cross out the portion of the vote requiring swearing to God. The FFRF filed a federal suit on his behalf, and Alabama, as a result, has since quickly changed it to allow a checkbox option for those who decline to swear to God.

The oath to God is still there, which is absurd, but at least atheists and people of otehr faiths no longer have to technically break the law in order to vote.

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...te-in-alabama/
                  Surely such a demand contravenes Constitutional rights, doesn't it?

I know it is Alabama but how did the state manage to enforce this demand for so long?

Oh and by the way why have you addressed Mountain Man as H_A?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

It's much ado about nothing. Do you also refuse to use currency that bears the phrase "In God We Trust"?

No it is not the same as carrying currency because no one is required to swear an oath every time they use an ATM.

What does it matter to the atheist if he utters what is to him a meaningless phrase? He may as well be saying, "So help me Boba Fett," for all the significance it has. It's much ado about literally nothing as far as the atheist is concerned.
                    It matters because, theoretically, and under that law as it stood, an individual could have been jailed for perjury.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

because I'd be required to swear that oath to your atrocious deity under penalty of perjury and have to commit a crime in order to exercise my RIGHT.
                      No, it is christians like you that are defending absurd laws like this that need to get over themselves and over there sense of entitlement. This ain't a theocracy no matter how much you wish it was

I'm sure many of the christians in question would say the same about you buddy (and as I noted that just one of the reasons some Christians do not do so)
                      Frankly, your objection has all the moral force of a toddler stamping his foot and bawling, "Because I don't wanna!"
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I know it is Alabama but how did the state manage to enforce this demand for so long?

Enforcement is a separate issue. IIRC, several states still have laws making atheists ineligible for elected office on the books (IIRC it was in some state constitutions as well). It goes back to having so %#@$# many laws (see my post concerning clotheslines and carrying ice cream cones).

Comment

Enforcement is a separate issue. IIRC, several states still have laws making atheists ineligible for elected office on the books (IIRC it was in some state constitutions as well). It goes back to having so %#@$# many laws (see my post concerning clotheslines and carrying ice cream cones).
                          That is interesting. Concerning the ineligibility of atheists to stand for office and your recollection that some state constitutions contain[ed] such clauses, does a state's constitution take precedence over the US Constitution?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

yes, which is why they were quick to change it once a federal suit was filed, because they knew they'd lose that challenge

No one has challenged it in the past.
                            Because he's attempting to derail my thread like you tend to do to any thread you go on.

Comment

Frankly, your objection has all the moral force of a toddler stamping his foot and bawling, "Because I don't wanna!"
                              No, it has the moral force of the Constitution of the United States. The one stamping their foot and bawling is you, over a simple change to make something no longer violate the constitutional rights of someone that holds beliefs other than yours.

Comment

Some do but I believe they were rendered inert via a SCOTUS ruling of such things being unconstitutional. Whereas this one was still in place as it is wrt voting not holding office.

Comment