Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Atheists In Alabama No Longer Have To Swear Oath To God To Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

While this is true, we do see examples throughout scripture of righteous men (and women) invoking God's name as an oath, and it is never explicitly or implicitly condemned, so it is obviously no sin to do so.

Scripture Verse: Genesis 21

At that time Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his army said to Abraham, “God is with you in all that you do. Now therefore swear to me here by God that you will not deal falsely with me or with my descendants or with my posterity, but as I have dealt kindly with you, so you will deal with me and with the land where you have sojourned.” And Abraham said, “I will swear.”

© Copyright Original Source

Scripture Verse: Joshua 2

[Rahab said,] "Now then, please swear to me by the LORD that, as I have dealt kindly with you, you also will deal kindly with my father’s house, and give me a sure sign that you will save alive my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all who belong to them, and deliver our lives from death.” And the men said to her, “Our life for yours even to death! If you do not tell this business of ours, then when the LORD gives us the land we will deal kindly and faithfully with you.”

Scripture Verse: 1 Samuel 20

Jonathan said to David, "The LORD, the God of Israel, be witness! When I have sounded out my father, about this time tomorrow, or the third day, behold, if he is well disposed toward David, shall I not then send and disclose it to you?"

Since the Matthean passage you quoted ended with Jesus saying that anything beyond "yes" and "no" is "from the evil one," this sort of amounts to a demonstration of the inconsistency of Scripture.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Ah, I was waiting for that canard to show up. Unlike atheists, I don't believe the phrase "so help me God" is being made to an imaginary being and therefore carries a great deal of significance. Similarly, the phrase "so help me Allah" would be to deny the God who is the foundation of my core beliefs, and so I could not, in good conscience, put my name to such an oath.
      So you would object to a voting form that required you to sign a declaration ending in 'so help me Allah' - but you have no objection to a voting form that requires Moslems (and atheists) to sign a declaration ending in 'so help me God'.

But for atheists, what does it matter since you're (supposedly) convinced that it's all nonsense anyway? A literally meaningless phrase without significance?
      It's not a meaningless phrase, and it's not without significance.

But I know better to expect any consideration of the views of non-Christians from some-one whose reaction when faced with a drone-strike killing innocent children was concern for the killer, not for the victims or their families.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I'd be forced to lie in order to vote. That's the problem.
        How is signing your name to a document that includes the words "so help me God" a lie? For most people, it's just a colloquial phrase and not an affirmation of any particular belief. Unless you think every atheist who exclaims, "Oh my God!" is expressing deep reverence for a deity.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
          So you would object to a voting form that required you to sign a declaration ending in 'so help me Allah' - but you have no objection to a voting form that requires Moslems (and atheists) to sign a declaration ending in 'so help me God'.
          Exactly. He's even cool with forcing his fellow Christians to swear to god when they believe that it is not something they are supposed to do and a violation of Jesus' own words.

It's not a meaningless phrase, and it's not without significance.

But I know better to expect any consideration of the views of non-Christians from some-one whose reaction when faced with a drone-strike killing innocent children was concern for the killer, not for the victims or their families.
          Yuuup.

Comment

How is signing your name to a document that includes the words "so help me God" a lie? For most people, it's just a colloquial phrase and not an affirmation of any particular belief. Unless you think every atheist who exclaims, "Oh my God!" is expressing deep reverence for a deity.
            Because I don't believe in God, nor do I swear oaths to him, you utter walnut.

The same way signing a document "So help me Odin" or "so help me Allah" would be a lie to you.

But again, you made very clear you are an utter hypocrite and would flip your lid over having to swear an oath to a deity you don't believe in, but are fine forcing everyone else to do exactly that. Because you're a christofascist.

Comment

Because I don't believe in God, nor do I swear oaths to him, you utter walnut.

The same way signing a document "So help me Odin" or "so help me Allah" would be a lie to you.

But again, you made very clear you are an utter hypocrite and would flip your lid over having to swear an oath to a deity you don't believe in, but are fine forcing everyone else to do exactly that. Because you're a christofascist.
              I already explained why asking a Christian to sign something in the name of another god is not a parallel to an atheist being asked to put their name to a document that contains what for them should be a wholly meaningless and innocuous phrase.

And again with your hysterical cries of "christofacism".

Go change your diaper, you pantywaist atheist. The only one doing any lid flipping here is you.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I already explained why asking a Christian to sign something in the name of another god is not a parallel to an atheist being asked to put their name to a document that contains what for them should be a wholly meaningless and innocuous phrase.
                Sorry, but it is very much a parallel. But thank you for continuing to show your pathetic hypocrisy, christofascist.

Go change your diaper, you pantywaist atheist. The only one doing any lid flipping here is you.
                Christians who try to force their garbage down our throats via unconstitutional laws, are fascists. I'm sorry you don't like the truth being told, hun. I suggest you go to Congo or Rwanda if you want your Christianity with a side of totalitarian government.
                Last edited by Gondwanaland; 10-27-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Yes, you've clearly explained it to your complete satisfaction. Shame your explanation is so rubbish. In the law courts of England and Wales, witnesses are required to swear an oath of truthfulness. A bible is available for christians, other magic books are available for practitioners of other religions, such as moslems, hindus, sikhs etc.

An atheist is not required, and cannot be compelled, to swear an oath to an deity of any description, and simply has to affirm their true intention to provide truthful evidence. None have to say; "So help me god".

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Hmmm, I wonder whose daipers would need changing, and whose lids would be flipping, were the federal government ever to review / revise the tax exempt status of American religious institutions? You know, to bring them in line with secular money making organisations.
                  When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                  - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                  “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Markus River View Post

Yes, you've clearly explained it to your complete satisfaction. Shame your explanation is so rubbish. In the law courts of England and Wales, witnesses are required to swear an oath of truthfulness. A bible is available for christians, other magic books are available for practitioners of other religions, such as moslems, hindus, sikhs etc.

An atheist is not required, and cannot be compelled, to swear an oath to an deity of any description, and simply has to affirm their true intention to provide truthful evidence. None have to say; "So help me god".

Yep he just wants special treatment and has admitted he'd have a problem having to swear to a deity he doesn't believe in, but has no cap a city of 3mpwthy to then take that and place himself in someone else's shoes who doesn't believe in his deity. I find the more extreme ones belief is, the less capable of empathy one is.
                    Hmmm, I wonder whose daipers would need changing, and whose lids would be flipping, were the federal government ever to review / revise the tax exempt status of American religious institutions? You know, to bring them in line with secular money making organisations.
                    Indeed, it's long past due here.

Comment

Indeed, it's long past due here.
                      I'm not *totally* averse to dropping those tax exemptions, as long as *all* secular charities and non-profits get the same kick in the hindparts. That would eliminate a way of da gubmint side-stepping First Amendment protections. I don't favor churches making a practice of explicitly campaigning for candidates, but I don't think da gubmint should be able to interfere with it in any way.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment