Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fauci is a liar: letter proves that NIH did fund gain of function research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You don't need to trust me, you just need to read the letter from the NIH which explicitly describes gain of function research and contrast that with Fauci the Fraud's obviously false statements made under oath that he never authorized gain of function research.
    I would have to trust you to know what qualifies as gain-of-function research, and I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Here is the critical portion of the confession letter:

"EcoHealth Alliance was testing if spike proteins from naturally occurring cornaviruses circulating in China were capable of binding to the human ACE2 receptor in a mouse model. [...] In this limited experiment, laboratory mice infected with the SHC014 WIV1 coronavirus became sicker than those infected with the WIV1 bat coranavirus."

The designation "SHC014 WIV1" refers to a naturally occurring virus that was modified with the express purpose of making it more infectious to humans than the unmodified WIV1 virus, and indeed, it seems the experiment was a resounding success since the humanized mice infected with the modified virus became sicker. This is gain of function research by definition.
      It would be more appropriate to say that WIV1 was modified by giving it the spike protein from SHC014, in order to find out if that spike protein was capable of binding to the human ACE2 receptor.

Since it could not be reasonably anticipated that this would result in a significantly more infectious virus, it didn't qualify as gain-of-function research, by definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It would be more appropriate to say that WIV1 was modified by giving it the spike protein from SHC014, in order to find out if that spike protein was capable of binding to the human ACE2 receptor.

Since it could not be reasonably anticipated that this would result in a significantly more infectious virus, it didn't qualify as gain-of-function research, by definition.

Why would they be modifying the virus and testing it on human ACE2 receptors if they weren't attempting to make it more infectious? That was the whole point of the experiment. And it succeeded. Modifying a virus to try to make it more infectious to human cells is the definition of "gain of function" research. Surely you are not arguing they modified a virus that wasn't infectious to humans at all in an attempt to make it less infectious to humans?

Comment

They were trying to find out if the viruses were able to make use of human ACE2 receptors. They couldn't do that with plain ole mice.
          Right. So gain of function.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I see where the hairs are being split here.

According to one side, any research into into GOF is GOF. According to Stoic (if I understand correctly) they were only observing and not making alterations. Correct?

But isn't a mouse with human ACE2 receptor an alteration?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

According to one side, any research into into GOF is GOF. According to Stoic (if I understand correctly) they were only observing and not making alterations. Correct?

No. It's not an alteration of the coronavirus - which is the issue at hand. Transgenic animals are very commonly used in research, and do not confer any risk to humans.
              ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

No. Absolutely not. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment

It would be more appropriate to say that WIV1 was modified by giving it the spike protein from SHC014
                  Do you have more information on this? I'm looking but can't easily deliniate how SHC014-WIV1 is made up.

Sources not involving Breitbart or Youtube would be preferable, Thanks.

Comment

That's not common sense. That's just hating Fauci, and going with whoever says what you want to believe.

Otherwise, you would realize that there are other experts you could listen to.
                    I'm "going with" one expert over another. Ebright says it is gain of function, and I've seen no evidence he hates Fauci. You're "going with" the expert who claims it's not gain of function, who is culpable if it is gain of function.

Comment

Fox and Friends interviewed a former WHO investigator this AM. He opined that too many people are obsessing over the specific term, "gain of function," and that NIH lawyers constructed a very narrow definition of the term, such that the research being discussed probably did not qualify.

I'll see if there's a clip that I can find.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Nope.

According to one side, any modification of a virus is gain of function it you find out after the fact that there was a gain of function.

According to the other side, it's not gain of function unless there is an intent to create a new function, or one can reasonably anticipate that there will be a gain of function.

It is, but we're talking about altering viruses.

The research in Wuhan was making alterations to a virus. They were replacing the spike protein on the WIV1 virus with spike proteins from other bat viruses. They were doing this to see whether those other spike proteins could bind to the human ACE2 receptor. (They couldn't test the other bat viruses directly, because they were unable to culture them in the lab.)

It was not anticipated that the altered viruses would be significantly more infectious to humans. But it did turn out that two of the altered viruses were significantly more infectious to humans.

Thus, by one definition it was gain of function research, but not by the other.

Comment

Originally posted by JimboJSR View Post

Do you have more information on this? I'm looking but can't easily deliniate how SHC014-WIV1 is made up.

Sources not involving Breitbart or Youtube would be preferable, Thanks.
                          https://s3.documentcloud.org/documen...ant-notice.pdf

The backbones they used were SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, and WIV1.

On page 298, "Using the reverse genetic methods we previously developed, infectious clones with the WIV1 backbone and the spike protein of SHC014, WIV16 and Rs4231, respectively, were constructed and recombinant viruses were successfully rescued."

On page 486, "We infected transgenic mice expressing hACE2 with10 5 pfu of full-length recombinant WIV1 and three chimeric viruses (WIV1 backbone with SHC014S, WIV16S and Rs4231S)."

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Why would they be modifying the virus and testing it on human ACE2 receptors if they weren't attempting to make it more infectious? That was the whole point of the experiment. And it succeeded. Modifying a virus to try to make it more infectious to human cells is the definition of "gain of function" research. Surely you are not arguing they modified a virus that wasn't infectious to humans at all in an attempt to make it less infectious to humans?
                            We've been over this.

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...87#post1303287

Comment

I got to tell ya, Fauci looks genuinely scared compared to their last encounter...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                                I got to tell ya, Fauci looks genuinely scared compared to their last encounter...

And Paul seems confident and unrelenting.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment