Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fauci is a liar: letter proves that NIH did fund gain of function research

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

    Ah, but you see, it didn't specifically use the phrase "gain of function", therefore it proves nothing.
    How many more fish are you going to bag with this Nostradamus-like prediction?

    Originally posted by Stoic View Post

    It's curious that Ebright, who has a PhD from Harvard, can't figure out that the letter is explaining why the research was not considered "gain of function" research.

    Perhaps it was because the letter didn't use the phrase "gain of function".
    Who's left? Starlight, perhaps?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

    Comment


    • #17
      Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) on Wednesday demanded Dr. Anthony Fauci be “investigated and prosecuted” for funding gain-of-function research in Communist China’s Wuhan lab.

      “Fauci knew,” Cotton tweeted about Fauci’s previous denial to the Senate in May that the National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded gain-of-function research at the Wuhan lab. “He should be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Cotton said.

      When Fauci was asked before the Senate if the NIH had funded gain-of-function research at the Wuhan lab, Fauci replied that the NIH “has not ever and does not now fund gain-of-function research in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.”

      But a letter from the NIH, revealed by molecular biologist Richard H. Ebright, admits the NIH did fund gain-of-function research at the Wuhan lab in China.

      https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...rch-wuhan-lab/
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God


      From "Fools Gold" by Petra

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        How many more fish are you going to bag with this Nostradamus-like prediction?
        It's not a prediction.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) on Wednesday demanded Dr. Anthony Fauci be “investigated and prosecuted” for funding gain-of-function research in Communist China’s Wuhan lab.

          “Fauci knew,” Cotton tweeted about Fauci’s previous denial to the Senate in May that the National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded gain-of-function research at the Wuhan lab. “He should be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Cotton said.

          When Fauci was asked before the Senate if the NIH had funded gain-of-function research at the Wuhan lab, Fauci replied that the NIH “has not ever and does not now fund gain-of-function research in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.”

          But a letter from the NIH, revealed by molecular biologist Richard H. Ebright, admits the NIH did fund gain-of-function research at the Wuhan lab in China.

          https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...rch-wuhan-lab/
          I agee that Fauci should be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, given that "to the fullest extent of the law" in this case means "not at all".

          Comment


          • #20
            So, infecting mice with a bat virus is not "gain of function" because the specific term wasn't used? Or is it because humans were not mentioned as being involved in the experiement?
            "You should just assume going forward that if I am ever wrong it is a typo" - Backup
            "
            Reality simply does not change based upon consensus or desire." - rogue

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              So, infecting mice with a bat virus is not "gain of function" because the specific term wasn't used? Or is it because humans were not mentioned as being involved in the experiement?
              I would have thought that "gain of function" research involved analysing or generating mutations which allow a virus to gain (or enhance) a function. I cannot see how simply showing a bat virus to a mouse could possibly be seen as "gain of function" research.

              Ebright has the CV that should mean he knows what he's talking about, so perhaps I'm missing something. Then again, Breitbart ain't exactly the best place to get educated on the intricacies of molecular biology...
              ...because every forum needs a Jimbo

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                So, infecting mice with a bat virus is not "gain of function" because the specific term wasn't used? Or is it because humans were not mentioned as being involved in the experiement?
                As I understand it, gain of function as fauci is using it refers to research designed to give additional functionality to a virus. And that differs from research to understand what changes to a virus we might need to be concerned about. Fauci's detractors are calling any research that might cause a change to a virus 'gain of function' research.

                But I'm not an expert and I defer to anyone working in the field that can shed light on why this particular bit of discussion keeps getting twisted about.

                but it appears to me to be the uneducated not understanding the technical nuances of how and when to apply the term.
                Don’t waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.
                --- Paulo Coelho

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  The man is bulletproof.
                  I think they're building him up as a fall guy if things go south
                  "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
                  - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                    Rather than trusting Breitbart, a source long since acknowledged as suspect by even the partisans here, or simply dismissing them without consideration, one could bend over backwards to be fair, read the letter, and see what it actually says.

                    2021-10-21_11-25-17.jpg
                    Once again, it appears Breitbart is peddling reckless untruths.
                    "These are not the droids you're looking for"
                    "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
                    - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                      So, infecting mice with a bat virus is not "gain of function" because the specific term wasn't used? Or is it because humans were not mentioned as being involved in the experiement?
                      Some people (Ebright, Rand Paul, et al) consider research to be "gain of function" if there is any chance that a change in the virus could make it significantly more infectious in humans, or if it turns out after the fact that the virus is significantly more infectious in humans.

                      Others (Fauci, Collins, et al) consider it to be "gain of function" research only if it can be reasonably anticipated that the virus will be significantly more infectious in humans.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        So, infecting mice with a bat virus is not "gain of function" because the specific term wasn't used? Or is it because humans were not mentioned as being involved in the experiement?
                        They altered the virus with the express purpose of making it more infectious to humans using mice with human DNA as their test subjects which is gain of function research by definition.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God


                        From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

                          I think they're building him up as a fall guy if things go south
                          I don't think any criminal charges will happen, but this may be what is used to get him to step down. He's publicly damaged goods, especially on social media, so they need a new face to sell this BS.
                          "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                            Some people (Ebright, Rand Paul, et al) consider research to be "gain of function" if there is any chance that a change in the virus could make it significantly more infectious in humans, or if it turns out after the fact that the virus is significantly more infectious in humans.

                            Others (Fauci, Collins, et al) consider it to be "gain of function" research only if it can be reasonably anticipated that the virus will be significantly more infectious in humans.
                            Fauci is obviously a biased source. Ebright isn't.
                            "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by seanD View Post

                              I don't think any criminal charges will happen, but this may be what is used to get him to step down. He's publicly damaged goods, especially on social media, so they need a new face to sell this BS.
                              There is no new information here that could cause Fauci to step down.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                                There is no new information here that could cause Fauci to step down.
                                I suppose you're right in a way. It's not as though Fauci is going to say, "Wait a minute, so I did lie about funding illegal research!" as if he didn't already know.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God


                                From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Ronson, Today, 05:57 PM
                                0 responses
                                18 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Ronson
                                by Ronson
                                 
                                Started by seer, Today, 11:31 AM
                                8 responses
                                48 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seer
                                by seer
                                 
                                Started by Bill the Cat, Today, 06:35 AM
                                8 responses
                                67 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post seanD
                                by seanD
                                 
                                Started by seer, 05-19-2022, 10:59 AM
                                89 responses
                                483 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Stoic
                                by Stoic
                                 
                                Started by rogue06, 05-18-2022, 07:43 AM
                                3 responses
                                33 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Ronson
                                by Ronson
                                 
                                Working...
                                X