Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Atrocities, Nazis, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

No you have 50 counts of the same atrocity. The atrocity is rape and murder.

And that atrocity is no less of an atrocity for one woman than it is for fifty.
    50 > 5

1 = 1

1+1+1+1+1 < 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+ 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Comment

The "1 to 50" scale is a FAR SIGHT away the MAGNITUDE (remember that word?) of the ATROCITY of Hitler's deeds.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you have 50 counts of the same atrocity you have 50 atrocities.

If I have 50 counts of the same euro, I have 50 euros.

Last edited by Sparko; 10-28-2021, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You seem to have a personal definition of "atrocity"
          If you consider that rape and murder is not, in and of itself, an atrocity, feel free to make your case.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

If you consider that rape and murder is not, in and of itself, an atrocity, feel free to make your case.
            How incredibly disingenuous.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Nice reading comprehension fail.

Comment

Perhaps you just really suck at math?

No you have 50 counts of the same atrocity

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Nice reading comprehension fail.
                  I think it's much less honest than that.

Comment

No you have 50 counts of the same atrocity. The atrocities are the rapes and murders.
                    FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Apologies if this gets too graphic, if you, as the mods find it crosses the line, please delete.

Hypatia_Alexandria

Here are different "Atrocities".

1. A person's spouse is suffering from a deadly & debilitating disease. Without their partner's consent, in order to spare their suffering, they decide to kill their partner in the most humane way they can think of.

2. A person walks up to a stranger walking down the street, shoots them in the back of the head, killing them instantly.

3. A person kidnaps another and tortures them severely over hours, disfiguring them, before finally killing them.

4. As per 3, but they make the person's loved ones watch.

Do you consider that in all 4 cases, are they all equal "atrocities?"

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                        Apologies if this gets too graphic, if you, as the mods find it crosses the line, please delete.

Hypatia_Alexandria

Here are different "Atrocities".

1. A person's spouse is suffering from a deadly & debilitating disease. Without their partner's consent, in order to spare their suffering, they decide to kill their partner in the most humane way they can think of.

2. A person walks up to a stranger walking down the street, shoots them in the back of the head, killing them instantly.

3. A person kidnaps another and tortures them severely over hours, disfiguring them, before finally killing them.

4. As per 3, but they make the person's loved ones watch.

Do you consider that in all 4 cases, are they all equal "atrocities?"

I made it quite clear as to what I was specifically referring and quite clearly defined what I intended by the term atrocity.

I am not going over old ground again.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Perhaps you just really suck at math?

Why are you fixated on making analogies with money? Or do you rank your ethics on a cash basis?

You have a higher incidence of the same atrocity. The atrocity of being raped and murdered is the same experience for five women as it is for fifty women.

The atrocity and horror of that experience does not increase because more women are subjected to it, all the women feel the same terror and pain and are murdered.

The magnitude of the atrocity increases and I have acknowledged that, but the ethics surrounding the atrocity of the act of committing rape and murder remains the same.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Why are you fixated on making analogies with money? Or do you rank your ethics on a cash basis?

You have a higher incidence of the same atrocity. The atrocity of being raped and murdered is the same experience for five women as it is for fifty women.

The atrocity and horror of that experience does not increase because more women are subjected to it, all the women feel the same terror and pain and are murdered.

The magnitude of the atrocity increases and I have acknowledged that, but the ethics surrounding the atrocity of the act of committing rape and murder remains the same.
                            The horror might* not change regarding the subjective experience of each victim, but it does change the objective horror when looking at all of the victims.

*it could be argued that in the case of a serial killer, knowing that several women were raped and murdered before would make the anticipation and horror of any later victims that much worse because they know what is going to happen to them.

You seem incapable of understanding human empathy or emotions. If you are not trolling, then you need therapy.

Comment

I made it quite clear as to what I was specifically referring and quite clearly defined what I intended by the term atrocity.

I am not going over old ground again.
                              All but 1 of those clearly fall into an "atrocity" 1 might, are they all the same?

However, given that this is another one of those probing questions that is designed to dive into the specifics of your position, I expect you to find every reason to not answer.
                              Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 10-28-2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Why are you such a brainless ?

Comment