Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Colin Powell Dies Of Covid Complications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimboJSR
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    ...vaccinated people carry a higher viral load and are more infectious than the unvaccinated.
    Link?

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Those who refuse the vaccine are morally responsible for killing others around them when they predictably catch and pass on covid and it kills people.
    Good grief.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

But vaccinated people can still get and pass on covid so that assertion falls flat.
    In fact, so called "breakthrough cases" are very common, and vaccinated people carry a higher viral load and are more infectious than the unvaccinated. Furthermore, since the primary purpose of the "vaccine" is to suppress symptoms, someone with a "breakthrough case" may not even realize it and will be more likely to interact with other members of the public.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    The "wrong" in my post refers to the "so that assertion falls flat" statement by you. Not to the statement that vaccinated people can sometimes still get and pass on covid.
    Your assertion falls flat, BECAUSE of the statement that vaccinated people can get and pass on covid.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    The "wrong" in my post refers to the "so that assertion falls flat" statement by you. Not to the statement that vaccinated people can sometimes still get and pass on covid.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Wrong. The vaccine greatly reduces the chance of someone getting and passing on covid.
    how the hell is that "wrong"? Breakthrough infections can and do happen and those individuals can and do pass on covid, you utter walnut. Are you now denying the existence of breakthrough infections, science denier?
    I know you struggle with statistical reasoning and like things to be extremes of either 100% one thing or another, but try to understand the concept of risk mitigation. The vaccine, like seatbelts, can be highly effective without being 100% perfect.
    I know you struggle with understanding simple English, but try to grasp what I wrote, instead of kneejerking like a dense twit.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    But vaccinated people can still get and pass on covid so that assertion falls flat.
    Wrong. The vaccine greatly reduces the chance of someone getting and passing on covid.

I know you struggle with statistical reasoning and like things to be extremes of either 100% one thing or another, but try to understand the concept of risk mitigation. The vaccine, like seatbelts, can be highly effective without being 100% perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    People who are immunocompromised in the extreme like Powell was are vulnerable individuals whose only protection against covid is other people being vaccinated to prevent them catching and passing covid to such immunocompromised individuals.

Those who refuse the vaccine are morally responsible for killing others around them when they predictably catch and pass on covid and it kills people.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Read somewhere that some Democrat or other was blaming Powell's death on unvaccinated individuals, this despite the fact that Powell was fully vaccinated against the China flu..
    People who are immunocompromised in the extreme like Powell was are vulnerable individuals whose only protection against covid is other people being vaccinated to prevent them catching and passing covid to such immunocompromised individuals.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Colin Powell lied in an international forum in order to promote a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people.

He signed off on a torture program.

Period.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Fully vaxxed, but he had been fighting some serious cancer, and was 84 years old, both of which likely contributed to his death.
    And yet many point out that he was fully vaxxed and sneer at it saying it didn't help. But as you note, "he had been fighting some serious cancer" namely multiple myeloma, a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body's immune response, as well as Parkinson's. IOW, he was what they call "immunocompromised" in the extreme. Combined with his age he didn't stand much of a chance against Covid even fully vaxxed. He wouldn't likely have survived the flu.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Read somewhere that some Democrat or other was blaming Powell's death on unvaccinated individuals, this despite the fact that Powell was fully vaccinated against the China flu..

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I would suggest you are seeing what you want to see. There were a good number of articles on Powell on CNN yesterday, covering a range of topics about the man. Unfortunately, some conservative media decided to call into question the usefulness of the vaccines because Powell was in fact fully vaccinated yet died of Covid-19, and so part of the story was indeed to cover that element as well, along with a response to it as misinformation. It is not hard to anticipate what the anti-science, anti-vax crowd will do with information like that, and any good news organization has a certain responsibility to provide accurate information when such disinformation is widespread.
    You suggest wrongly. I was doing some channel surfing and all three networks were covering the issue at the same time. I think it was shortly after when the news came out. The only news site I regularly go to is a local tv station. To protect my mental health, I don't go very often (< 1/week) to a national news site.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I heard the news and was sadden by the passing of such a good man.

Just to see how it was covered, I checked Fox, CNN, and MSNBC. Fox and MSNBC had nice coverage covering his life and achievements. CNN focused on his dying from Covid. Any wonder I call CNN Covid Network News.
    I would suggest you are seeing what you want to see. There were a good number of articles on Powell on CNN yesterday, covering a range of topics about the man. Unfortunately, some conservative media decided to call into question the usefulness of the vaccines because Powell was in fact fully vaccinated yet died of Covid-19, and so part of the story was indeed to cover that element as well, along with a response to it as misinformation. It is not hard to anticipate what the anti-science, anti-vax crowd will do with information like that, and any good news organization has a certain responsibility to provide accurate information when such disinformation is widespread.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-19-2021, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    I heard the news and was sadden by the passing of such a good man.

Just to see how it was covered, I checked Fox, CNN, and MSNBC. Fox and MSNBC had nice coverage covering his life and achievements. CNN focused on his dying from Covid. Any wonder I call CNN Covid Network News.

Leave a comment: