Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden’s Pick For Top Banking Regulator... Thesis On Marxism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by whag View Post

I believe the nation veered off course the year you were born, (1905).
    That could well be. (but you did make me smile)

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Smiling. OK, maybe so.
    I believe the nation veered off course the year you were born, (1905).

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    The thread’s dying, so you may as well give it life by clarifying when the U.S. veered off course. You’re the one who brought up that metaphor.

I’ve seen you argue with Starlight and harder heads than Ox. I hardly think that’s a more quality expenditure of your time.
    Smiling. OK, maybe so.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied

Or there are some things I really don't have much interest in.

Or maybe I really don't know where somebody stands on a particular issue, so I prod a little to find out. But when there's somebody who you know what their position is, and you've been over similar things, it just doesn't seem to be a worthy expenditure of time.

It's kinda like discussing politics with Ox -- I've learned it's just a waste of both of our time.
    The thread’s dying, so you may as well give it life by clarifying when the U.S. veered off course. You’re the one who brought up that metaphor.

I’ve seen you argue with Starlight and harder heads than Ox. I hardly think that’s a more quality expenditure of your time.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Maybe the problem is just too subjective to discuss? There’s no objective way for me to convince you a capitalist economy based on war, money-driven foreign policy, and Wall Street’s black magic is was probably never on the right course objectively speaking. To many boomers got lazy about fixing these problems.
    Or there are some things I really don't have much interest in.

Or maybe I really don't know where somebody stands on a particular issue, so I prod a little to find out. But when there's somebody who you know what their position is, and you've been over similar things, it just doesn't seem to be a worthy expenditure of time.

It's kinda like discussing politics with Ox -- I've learned it's just a waste of both of our time.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied

Not really. I've actually learned some things along the way in some discussions.
    Maybe the problem is just too subjective to discuss? There’s no objective way for me to convince you a capitalist economy based on war, money-driven foreign policy, and Wall Street’s black magic is was probably never on the right course objectively speaking. To many boomers got lazy about fixing these problems.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Not really. I've actually learned some things along the way in some discussions.
    • To always stay upwind of Sparko. OBP too, but more so the pirate.
    • To learn the PIN™ range of where you are is. The more mossy has to stretch, the less likely it is that she'll make the effort
    • To never question me when I tell you don't question me. Sorta like when I say "duck" it is best to duck immediately if not sooner.
    • To never play episodes of the old Hannah Montana TV series around Bill the Cat. It can trigger flashbacks.
    • Not all trolls live under bridges.
    • Cats roam in herds in certain parts of Alabamastan.
    • Bacon is good for me, is good for me.
    • Especially crispy like before the war bacon.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

You and I also both know that applies to almost every discussion you have here. It’s all a waste of time, if you see it that way.

Leave a comment:

• whag
    replied

I said nothing about "preventing" - I simply said I'll pass. I choose not to go down the road.

Because you and I both know I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine, so I have no desire to waste the time of either of us.
    You and I also both know that applies to almost every discussion you have here. It’s all a waste of time, if you see it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post

If it was actually her account, then the content of her posts would be fair game.
    Given the time period of the posts, friends, etc., unless one is positing time travel to prevent her nomination, it's pretty clearly her account.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    It's pretty obvious that a thesis written by a student at Moscow State University is not going to be critical of Marxism.
    IIRC, she claims to have been actively anti-communist while attending.

But just how important is an undergraduate thesis in determining the qualifications of someone with a PhD and a JD, anyway?
    Maybe the fact that she was a member of a pro-communist Facebook group until 2019 might be relevant concerning her views

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Then release it and actually talk to that. Don't bury it.
    It looks like Moscow University, for some inexplicable reason, decided to destroy her dissertation on Marxism right before old Joe nominated her. Surely a coincidence.

Of course she has a copy but is, for some inexplicable reason, refusing to turn it over.

And her belonging to a Marxist Facebook group obviously doesn't mean anything. She probably thought it was a Marx brothers fan club.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I remember when the democrats were more "sneaky" with their plans, and took their time implementing them, a little here, a little there. But with this election, it was all speed ahead from the day Biden took office. First thing, he signed a stack of executive orders countermanding everything Trump accomplished, and it's been like that ever since. As if they know they only have a couple of years to destroy the country and want to shove through every single crazy liberal plan all at once. Green New Deal, Build Back Better, etc.
    Incrementalism is so last year.

Leave a comment:

• Stoic
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    That might be a fair point, if she rejected Marxism later on after leaving said university and being in the US. But she was a member of a Marxist Facebook group at least as recently as 2019, which indicates that her thesis is likely her own belief, not something peer pressured onto her by going to Moscow State University.
    If it was actually her account, then the content of her posts would be fair game.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    It's pretty obvious that a thesis written by a student at Moscow State University is not going to be critical of Marxism.
    That might be a fair point, if she rejected Marxism later on after leaving said university and being in the US. But she was a member of a Marxist Facebook group at least as recently as 2019, which indicates that her thesis is likely her own belief, not something peer pressured onto her by going to Moscow State University.

Leave a comment: