Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bow-and-arrow killings in Norway seen as an ‘act of terror’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

The Norwegian prison systems tend to have far better results than ours, as far as recidivism rates, returning people Successfully to society to be Is a benefit to said society
    I actually respect their system but I'm dubious of the apples to apples comparison here. Lower pop, higher medial income and lower violent crime rates combine to give such a system a leg up. I think we can learn from it, but I'm really dubious that we could or should try and replicate it.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Once he is convicted, this is the horror he faces in a Norwegian prison:

_107763955_cell976.jpg
      The punishment is the loss of freedom. Chronically overcrowded and uncomfortable prisons tend to breed more violence, not more avoidance of imprisonment.

There's got to be a happy medium and frankly, a glorified dorm room isn't the Taj Mahal.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I actually respect their system but I'm dubious of the apples to apples comparison here. Lower pop, higher medial income and lower violent crime rates combine to give such a system a leg up. I think we can learn from it, but I'm really dubious that we could or should try and replicate it.
        And I would think that there is less chance of retuning to a criminal culture like a gang which would effect recidivism rates.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

FBI analysis indicates that the gun on set could only have fired if the trigger was pulled:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gun-rust-s...015300975.html

6puzvk.jpg[/QUOTE]
          So far, I don't think there has been evidence that the lab has been compromised, but if Baldwin is ever held accountable, the defense will be able to have that conclusion tested in an independent lab.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

FBI analysis indicates that the gun on set could only have fired if the trigger was pulled:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gun-rust-s...015300975.html

6puzvk.jpg[/QUOTE]

We don't trust the leadership of the FBI when it comes to political cases involving Trump. I don't think anyone thinks every FBI field agent is corrupt.

In this case common sense will tell you that a revolver can't go off without pulling the trigger or hitting the hammer hard enough to drive the firing pin into the shell.

Comment

We don't trust the leadership of the FBI when it comes to political cases involving Trump. I don't think anyone thinks every FBI field agent is corrupt.

In this case common sense will tell you that a revolver can't go off without pulling the trigger or hitting the hammer hard enough to drive the firing pin into the shell.
              That's not what I was told on the Mar a lago thread. Numerous conservative posters were telling me the agents could plant evidence, didn't turn over the warrant (which ended up being a lie), didn't give a list (which ended up being a lie), etc., etc..

Comment

That's not what I was told on the Mar a lago thread. Numerous conservative posters were telling me the agents could plant evidence, didn't turn over the warrant (which ended up being a lie), didn't give a list (which ended up being a lie), etc., etc..
                Like I said, that involves the FBI leadership going after Trump. I am sure they would handpick agents to embed into the raid. And most agents will do as they are told if they want to have a career. That was political, I don't think the Rust shooting was political.

To me, the FBI are like any other police force, you will have some good and some bad. The problem really arises when the leadership is bad.

Comment

I think this tends to be on the upper end, where it's not your typical area field agent, but guys who are tasked for high profile cases such as this. I don't trust the FBI leadership, and those at the top who do their bidding.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The killer is a Danish citizen who was living in the town of Kongsberg where the attack occurred. Apparently a recent convert to Islam.
                    Conversion usually comes with an AK. I guess in Daniland they give crossbows.

Comment

• Now that law enforcement has confirmed what every nearly everyone who has handled a revolver before already knew, that the pistol did not fire itself and that Baldwin had to have pulled the trigger, how has the staunch gun control advocate responded? The way any hardcore leftist would. He's pointing the finger at Trump.

Unable to figure a way to blame Trump for the gun firing and killing Halyna Hutchins, Baldwin has had to settle for declaring that Trump supporters are trying to kill him.

Yup.

He says he is worried about "potential violence carried out against him by followers of Donald Trump."

Yup.

He elaborated

Here was Trump, who instructed people to commit acts of violence, and he was pointing the finger at me and saying I was responsible for the death. 1000% percent I am nervous that a bunch of people who were instructed by the former president to go to the Capitol, who killed a law enforcement officer … you don’t think, that I think to myself, that some of those people are going to come and kill me.

Yup.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Now that law enforcement has confirmed what every nearly everyone who has handled a revolver before already knew, that the pistol did not fire itself and that Baldwin had to have pulled the trigger, how has the staunch gun control advocate responded? The way any hardcore leftist would. He's pointing the finger at Trump.

Unable to figure a way to blame Trump for the gun firing and killing Halyna Hutchins, Baldwin has had to settle for declaring that Trump supporters are trying to kill him.

Yup.

He says he is worried about "potential violence carried out against him by followers of Donald Trump."

Yup.

He elaborated

Here was Trump, who instructed people to commit acts of violence, and he was pointing the finger at me and saying I was responsible for the death. 1000% percent I am nervous that a bunch of people who were instructed by the former president to go to the Capitol, who killed a law enforcement officer … you don’t think, that I think to myself, that some of those people are going to come and kill me.

Yup.
                        He is also throwing his own people under the bus. But HE was the one in charge and who hired them and who was responsible for the safety on the set and making sure everyone was following the rules, and he was the one who pulled the trigger. Yes, it was an accident but it was preventable at any point along the way from the idiot who put live rounds in the gun, to the idiot who didn't check it before giving it to Baldwin, to the idiot who pulled the trigger before checking the gun himself, and who allowed them to have live rounds on the set in the first place. That last idiot is Baldwin.

Comment

He is also throwing his own people under the bus. But HE was the one in charge and who hired them and who was responsible for the safety on the set and making sure everyone was following the rules, and he was the one who pulled the trigger. Yes, it was an accident but it was preventable at any point along the way from the idiot who put live rounds in the gun, to the idiot who didn't check it before giving it to Baldwin, to the idiot who pulled the trigger before checking the gun himself, and who allowed them to have live rounds on the set in the first place. That last idiot is Baldwin.
                          Violation of the first principle of carrying a firearm -- never, ever point the business end of it toward someone unless you are justified in doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Violation of the first principle of carrying a firearm -- never, ever point the business end of it toward someone unless you are justified in doing so.
                            My parents ran a kindergarten when I was little. The one thing that would get your little tail end tanned (with a bolo paddle that we were convinced was killing us but never seemed to sting more than a second) was to point ANY kind of 'gun' at a person. We had cap guns and could run around screaming 'bang bang' at the top of our lungs but you better not even think about pointing them or even a finger gun at a person.

Not if you wanted to believe in your ability to sit down for the rest of the day.

My Dad was born in 1904 and probably the most patient human being ever - but he was absolutely not going to tolerate anyone pointing anything remotely gun like at a person for any reason.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Alec Baldwin and armorer to be charged with involuntary manslaughter after fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins on the set of ‘Rust’

Actor Alec Baldwin, who fatally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during a rehearsal for the Western movie “Rust” in 2021, and the film’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, will each be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter, prosecutors said Thursday.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/enter...ion/index.html

Comment

Assault bows and hollow point arrows need to be banned!!
                                Bows are military-grade weaponry.
                                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment