Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bow-and-arrow killings in Norway seen as an ‘act of terror’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Because the left knows NOTHING about the guns they wish for all of us to surrender.

It's like when the Gulf War started, and the left showed their ignorance of aircraft and weaponry, and had to get up to speed on what to call things.
    I can think of a few in Washington who likely see everything from a pocket pistol, to a mortar, to a howitzer etc. as "a gun." Nothing more. They're all just guns.

I wonder if they also think all atrocities are the same as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I can think of a few in Washington who likely see everything from a pocket pistol, to a mortar, to a howitzer etc. as "a gun." Nothing more. They're all just guns.

Side note---- military and police are trained that a "gun" is a shotgun or heavy artillery, NOT a pistol or rifle.

HOWEVER, in a traffic stop, if an officer sees a handgun or rifle, he/she yells GUN GUN GUN!!!!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I missed that the first time around.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup!! And that's why, in attempt to curtail "assault rifles", they unwittingly described "scary looking guns". I remember Rush used to always refer to "the Scary Looking Gun ban".
          This makes me think of something I posted last year smiley old.gif

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          There is an actual definition for "assault rifle." It is the concocted term "assault weapon" that is extremely nebulous and varies radically from person to person.

The term "assault weapons" became popularized during the Clinton Administration which banned their sale and was used to describe firearms that merely look scary. That is right. It is not based upon functionality, lethalness, or ammo capacity but is based solely on cosmetics. IOW, If it looked deadly it got included.

Senator Feinstein (D-CA), the author of the bill, and her staff literally got a gun catalog and flipped through it picking out the firearms based solely on appearance not on how they functioned. So the manufacturers merely made a few simple cosmetic changes (like changing the color of the stock from black to brown or removing a bayonet lug[1]) to the firearms so they wouldn't be included.

This was why gun control lobbies went "ballistic" (pun intended) when manufacturers simply slightly changed a firearm's appearance so it would no longer be classed as an "assault weapon."

For example, the staunchly anti-gun Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence groused, "the inclusion in the list of features that were purely cosmetic in nature created a loophole that allowed manufacturers to successfully circumvent the law by making minor modifications to the weapons they already produced."

Even the liberal Salon magazine remarked after the assault weapon ban wasn't renewed that it really didn't matter because "This is a rare case where the NRA is right. It says the ban created an artificial distinction between assault weapons and other semi-automatic weapons, based almost entirely on cosmetic features."

Likewise the Los Angeles Times (again hardly a bastion of conservative thought and not a supporter of the Second Amendment) complained that the ban was a joke because it "focused on cosmetics" like flash suppressors and bayonet attachments.

The "Assault Weapon" ban actually included a pistol that can only hold a single round that after discharging you needed to break open the firearm from which you had to manually extract the casing (although a few of the newest models included an ejector), reload it and close the firearm before firing again. Yeah, a real "assault weapon" there
          0000000000000a2.jpg
          Scary-looking illegal version of the
          single-shot Thompson Contender

0000000000000a2b.jpg
          Completely legal version with absolutely
          no functional difference whatsoever

[...]

1. When was the last time you heard of someone being attacked by someone with a bayonet affixed to their firearm outside a war situation?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This makes me think of something I posted last year smiley old.gif

EGGzackly! Scary looking guns!

Comment

In any case... there never should have been live ammo on the set.
              None. At all. EVER.
              What about all your 'arguments' against gun control and gun-free zones?

Blades and petrol are just as dangerous as live ammo.
              You're not going to get rid of all the live ammo.
              Do you think 'live ammo free zones' really work?
              Live ammo free zones keep the live ammo out of the hands of law abiding citizens who may actually be able to stop somebody who is illegally using live ammo
              Any crew member can get live ammo, legally or otherwise.
              Seriously, when a conservative looks at "live ammo control", they come at it from a total FANTASY world where they think they can simply make rules and everybody cooperates.
              "Live ammo free zones" are incredibly bird-brained stupid in that they provide a killing zone where the criminal - or would be criminal - is thrilled to death that nobody else will have live ammo.

It's not a live ammo problem, it's a people problem.

Feel free to argue against yourself.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                I think this is way different because you have a bunch of inexperienced people handling guns, and actually firing them.
                I am ALWAYS for gun safety. ALWAYS. No exceptions.

Comment

Blades and petrol are just as dangerous as live ammo.
                  You're not going to get rid of all the live ammo.
                  Do you think 'live ammo free zones' really work?
                  Live ammo free zones keep the live ammo out of the hands of law abiding citizens who may actually be able to stop somebody who is illegally using live ammo
                  Any crew member can get live ammo, legally or otherwise.
                  Seriously, when a conservative looks at "live ammo control", they come at it from a total FANTASY world where they think they can simply make rules and everybody cooperates.
                  "Live ammo free zones" are incredibly bird-brained stupid in that they provide a killing zone where the criminal - or would be criminal - is thrilled to death that nobody else will have live ammo.

It's not a live ammo problem, it's a people problem.

Feel free to argue against yourself.
                  A lot of your 'sample arguments' are just bird-brained stupid, and nothing I have ever said or supported.

I wouldn't be arguing against myself, I'd be arguing against your really dumb examples.
                  I mean, really, your attempt at (whatever it is you're attempting) really falls flat.

I am a certified range safety officer at several gun clubs - even there, it's all about safety. ALWAYS.

Comment

OK, thinking this over some more, I think you may actually have a valid point.

Hollyweird Liberals should never be allowed to have guns. EVER.
                    We should control guns in the hands of liberals, and anywhere liberals gather should be gun-free zones.

Thanks, Roy, for bringing me back to reality.

Comment

• Sheriff Mendoza says that criminal charges are not off the table in Santa Fe County for "whoever" on the set of Rust.

Baldwin, the Armorer, and Assistant Director are all possible targets.

Comment

• Maybe they used real bullets because the movie was so low budget they couldn't afford special effects?

Comment

Sheriff Mendoza says that criminal charges are not off the table in Santa Fe County for "whoever" on the set of Rust.

Baldwin, the Armorer, and Assistant Director are all possible targets.
                          Some more details here:

Source: How it happened: Inside movie set where Baldwin’s gun fired

[...]

The shooting occurred on Bonanza Creek Ranch, a sprawling property that bills itself as “where the Old West comes alive.” More than 130 movies have been filmed there, dating back to Jimmy Stewart’s “The Man from Laramie” in 1955. Other features have included “3:10 to Yuma,” “Cowboys and Aliens” and the miniseries “Lonesome Dove.” The Tom Hanks Western “News of the World” and “The Comeback Trail” starring Robert De Niro, Tommy Lee Jones and Morgan Freeman were filmed there in recent years.

Workplace disputes beset the production of “Rust” from its start in early October. In the hours before the shooting, several camera crew members walked off the set amid discord over working conditions, including safety procedures. A new crew was hired that morning, but filming was slow because they were down to one camera, Souza told detectives.

At 24, Gutierrez Reed had little experience working as an armorer. She told detectives that on the morning of the shooting, she checked the dummy bullets — bullets that appear real, save for a small hole in the side of the casing that identifies them as inoperable — to ensure none were “hot,” according to a search warrant affidavit made public Wednesday.

When the crew broke for lunch, the guns used for filming were locked in a safe inside a large white truck where props were kept, Gutierrez Reed said. The ammunition, however, was left unsecured on a cart. There was additional ammo inside the prop truck.

After lunch, the film’s prop master, Sarah Zachry, removed the guns from the safe and handed them to Gutierrez Reed, Gutierrez Reed told investigators.

According to a search warrant affidavit released last Friday, Gutierrez Reed set three guns on a cart outside the church, and assistant director Dave Halls took one from the cart and handed it to Baldwin. The document released Wednesday said the armorer sometimes handed the gun to Baldwin, and sometimes to Halls.

Gutierrez Reed declined to comment when contacted by The Associated Press on Wednesday. She wrote in a text message Monday that she was trying to find a lawyer.

However Halls obtained the weapon before giving it to Baldwin, he failed to fully check it. Normally, he told detectives, he would examine the barrel for obstructions and have Gutierrez Reed open the hatch and spin the drum where the bullets go, confirming none of the rounds is live.

This time, he reported, he could only remember seeing three of the rounds, and he didn’t remember if the armorer had spun the drum.

Nevertheless, he yelled out “cold gun” to indicate it was safe to use.

“He advised he should have checked all of them, but didn’t,” a Santa Fe County sheriff’s detective wrote in the affidavit released Wednesday.

It’s unclear whether Baldwin deliberately pulled the trigger or if the gun went off inadvertently.

In the commotion after the shooting, Halls found the weapon — a black revolver manufactured by an Italian company that specializes in 19th century reproductions — on a church pew.

He brought it to Gutierrez Reed and told her to open it so he could see what was inside. There were at least four dummy bullet casings, with the small hole in the side, he told detectives.

There was one empty casing. It had no hole.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

this part caught my eye

However Halls obtained the weapon before giving it to Baldwin, he failed to fully check it. Normally, he told detectives, he would examine the barrel for obstructions and have Gutierrez Reed open the hatch and spin the drum where the bullets go, confirming none of the rounds is live

This time, he reported, he could only remember seeing three of the rounds, and he didn’t remember if the armorer had spun the drum.

Nevertheless, he yelled out “cold gun” to indicate it was safe to use.

“He advised he should have checked all of them, but didn’t,” a Santa Fe County sheriff’s detective wrote in the affidavit released Wednesday.

1. From that it looks like the assistant director might be looking at negligent homicide or manslaughter.

B) "Opened the hatch"? "Spin the drum"? I'm gonna guess that neither the reporter who wrote the piece or the editor who proofread it are gun owners. Maybe never even touched one.

Comment

B) "Opened the hatch"? "Spin the drum"? I'm gonna guess that neither the reporter who wrote the piece or the editor who proofread it are gun owners. Maybe never even touched one.
                            wow

Comment

A lot of your 'sample arguments' are just bird-brained stupid, and nothing I have ever said or supported.
                              That's odd, since every single one of them was based on something you wrote in this very thread, with "guns" changed to "live ammo".

For instance: "Gun free zones" are incredibly bird-brained stupid in that they provide a killing zone where the criminal - or would be criminal - is thrilled to death that nobody else will have guns." and "It's not a gun problem, Roy - it's a people problem."

If they are bird-brained stupid and nothing you have ever said, who else is using your account?

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

That's odd, since every single one of them was based on something you wrote in this very thread, with "guns" changed to "live ammo".
                                Yes, it was rather idiotic on your part.

It's unfortunate that you can't see the difference between a situation where it is not expected that guns would be fired as part of the "set" and one where guns are actually used by people who are not familiar with them, and are being incredibly unsafe.

You're proving that liberals are real morons when it comes to guns and gun safety.

I have always been tolerant of you, Roy, and really couldn't understand why MM was so harsh to you. Thanks for enlightening me.

Comment